Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Kitten

• 06-08-2013 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

So our dog lovingly brought home a kitten that had been hiding in the bushes beside our house for over three days (mother/owner seems to have abandoned it)

I've called every shelter and rescue service I can think of but no one wants to take it. It's a shame because he/she is a lovely little thing and I'd love for it to go to a nice home.

Anyone want to help me out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dave_Power

may i ask how your dog lovingly brought it home
    did he carry it in his mouth
    are dogs that clever that if they see an animal in distress and think i must bring this little thing home now for my owners to look after

• Registered Users Posts: 11 UnderWaterLife

She did actually! I thought she'd picked up a strange rock until it started moving! The kitten wasn't harmed to be clear. It was just a little shook up to have this huge big Labrador staring at it.

awww she must of been playing with the kitten. you've got your self a good dog there. any joy with finding a home with the kitten

She's a lovely girl all right. She got extra treats tonight! And no unfortunately. All the rescue shelters are full and no one is willing to take the poor thing. I think my neighbours might be thinking about it, but it's not concrete enough to be celebrating yet

fair play to u for looking after her
    someone will eventually take her. theres always someone out there that wants to give a kitten a good forever home.

• Advertisement

Just doing what any animal lover would do. If anyone is interested in this little kitten please let me know. I live close to Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I know what you mean. My SiL found an abandoned kitten outside my FiL's house a couple of years ago. I posted up a thread about it, asking for help. I tried EVERY shelter and rescue in Cork. ALL were full to overflowing with unwanted cats and kittens. :( One had something like 168 cats, another had about 200.

Eventually, my SiL did keep the kitten, who's turned out to be a dear little thing, who's fantastic company. She really landed on her feet. But it beats me how people allow their cats to breed, then can't/won't cope with the aftermath! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

I know what you mean. My SiL found an abandoned kitten outside my FiL's house a couple of years ago. I posted up a thread about it, asking for help. I tried EVERY shelter and rescue in Cork. ALL were full to overflowing with unwanted cats and kittens. :( One had something like 168 cats, another had about 200.

Eventually, my SiL did keep the kitten, who's turned out to be a dear little thing, who's fantastic company. She really landed on her feet. But it beats me how people allow their cats to breed, then can't/won't cope with the aftermath! :mad:

Both of mine were abandoned, well their mother was when she was pregnant and she had five kittens in the backs of beyond. I got a phone call from my neighbour at work as she sometimes fostered dogs and went to see them a few hours later. My neighbour took one and I took another. Had not planned on getting a cat at the time but could not leave them. One person had already agreed to taking the mother and one kitten. Two other had also been adopted through the network of foster parents. Since then my neighbours ones adopted me so now I have them both, twins, one boy and one girl and they both now rule my house, I am now just a mere servant. But to be responsible, we got them both neutered as soon as they were old enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP can you put an age on the kitten? Are its eyes open (<10 days old if not) It will need bottle feeding regularly (every few hours) if it's this young. Weaning takes place around the 4-6 week mark where you can introduce kitten food.

Can you post a pic? Has the kitten eaten/defaecated since you've had them? If no local rescue will accept it,then go to your local vet first thing tomorrow. If you're willing to nurture it now then you need proper kitten milk e.g Lactol and not cows milk right now. You need to stimulate defaecation (very important if its <2weeks old), by rubbing the anus with a moist tissue gently. This is what the Queen would do and is vital if its at such a young age.

List of Irish shelters and rescues here in case you missed some.

The kitten has it's eyes open and it's large enough that I can guess it might be 5 weeks old. We've introduced kitten food to it and it has eaten quite happily. It's also passed excrement which seemed in order-- no odd discolouration or strange consistency. At the moment it's main obstacle in life is finding the perfect position around my neck to sleep in.

She's really an absolute lovely thing but with 4 Rescue Greyhounds and an overzealous labrador I can't in good conscience keep her around :( It wouldn't be fair.

Thank you for the list of Irish shelters, I'll check them out today and make a few calls to see if someone would be willing to take her.

• Advertisement

Bubba the cat has just been adopted! Thank you to everyone who has helped me in the last few days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Taytomal

Brilliant news! Good for you for helping her out when she needed looking after!

Advertisement