Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

precribed drugs and my new job

Options
  • 06-08-2013 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,Im starting a new job over seas thursday week and just got my details today.on it it says i "must declare any prescribed drugs i may be on".Now this has me worried as i have been on plls for depression the past 6 months. Is there any chance I could be refused enrty to the site because of this.Im travelling to Shetland Isles,Scotland
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I don't see why not, but very odd that they would ask you such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

I don't think its unusual to be asked to disclose medical history when applying for a new job. Depression is nothing to be ashamed of, however, for me, I would be wary about disclosing that information. A lot of people are still judgmental about depression and it may colour their expectations and opinions of you. I'm was in a similar situation and chose not to disclose. Good luck op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Some countries are very strict on this. Declare it OP. It'd be worse if you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Some countries are more strict than others [2]

In Japan, for example, meds for attention defficit disorder and asthma can be classified in the same category as cocaine (stimulants) and you would be in serious trouble if they found it in your luggage. I also read they do not have the same laid-back attitude we do towards other meds such as antidepressants, and other asian countries might be the same.

I'd say check online/travel guide/embassy what exactly are the rules of the country you are going to regarding this specific med, then ask your GP to write a letter explaining the meds you take/how much/how often/what for and bring a translated version to their language (if other than English) just in case too.

In the US, as far as I know, if you have your prescription and show them the meds it's ok.

But do check with the embassy or other people who travelled there with these meds to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Check out the law on this one op. In Ireland at least you have a right not to disclose your medical situation etc to an employer. I imagine it's similar in Scotland. If it were me I wouldn't bother disclosing - what business is it of theirs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭emuhead

I would ask them why they require this information and what they intend to do with it - for example, will they keep it on file and if so, who will have access to the information. This is highly personal information. I would imagine occupational health would be possibly the only people who might have a just reason to ask you such questions. I would be suspicious personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Check out the law on this one op. In Ireland at least you have a right not to disclose your medical situation etc to an employer. I imagine it's similar in Scotland. If it were me I wouldn't bother disclosing - what business is it of theirs?

+1 to that big time.

Q: did you have to do a medical for the job ? If so, did it come up in that?

Did you have to answer any health questions in the interview & what did you say? If you didn't declare it before you for offered the job they could say non-disclosure and revoke the contract.

Or they could find out , be really cool and supportive & have policies in place to protect you - is it a multinational ?

They might do drug testing & it could
    Come up later ... Do they do drug testing !!???? Is there a Scottish " boards" where you can find out !?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MILO79

There will be random drink and drug testing,its on a gas facility and i have signed a contract and will have to fill in a medical questioaire and disclose and medication i am on.The main problem is im on a 6month contract and I was hoping I could get more but feel i wont even be considered for a job again.I think its actually illegal to refuse me the signed contract on the basis i suffer from mild depression

agreed,but there are random drug tests so it may affect them but im pretty sure i wont get a 2nd contract out of them if i disclose my illness to them

whats OP mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

MILO79 wrote: »
    whats OP mean?

Original poster/post :)

op??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Is there any chance I could be refused enrty to the site because of this
    its on a gas facility

The above is why they want to know what prescription drugs you are on.

They want to ensure you are not on any prescription drugs that impact your safety, the ability to operate machinery, work in a dangerous environment or endanger the lives of your fellow workers.

Considering where you are going to be working I think it is a reasonable request.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It depends on the country and the company you're to work for. Even in desk based jobs in some companies- random drugs and alcohol testing may be normal. In some countries its more common than in others. Given this job- its fully understandable why they'd be asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 !Nicky!

Standard site safety. Have they asked you to do a medical/drug & alcohol test?

D&A test can come up "non-negative" with legal drugs, It will be perfectly acceptable to work but its more that you declare them first so that when/if you raise a "non-negative" result in a D&A that they'll know.

I say non-negative as this is the industry term.

Advertisement