Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bow roof/Gothic arch green house

• 06-08-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Has anyone built a bow roof green house. I came across the idea recently and am thinking of making one as an alternative to the standard poly tunnel. They require some basic carpentry skill are very cheap to make and relatively easy to erect. I reckon they're cheaper than a polytunnel when you add everything up. I really like to the look of them. They seem popular in the states and are also used for boat sheds. shed_13.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

azul wrote: »
    Has anyone built a bow roof green house. I came across the idea recently and am thinking of making one as an alternative to the standard poly tunnel. They require some basic carpentry skill are very cheap to make and relatively easy to erect. I reckon they're cheaper than a polytunnel when you add everything up. I really like to the look of them. They seem popular in the states and are also used for boat
    sheds. [IMG]http:// buildingawhat.files.wordpress.com/ 2010/04/shed_13.jpg[/IMG]

Does it come in kit form?
    If so , cant imagine any carpentry skills needed. Its more if an assembly skills thats needed. Highest point looks high, will you need small platforms, ,ladders. Etc?., Lots of help will b nedded too .

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭azul

rje66 wrote: »
    Does it come in kit form?
    If so , cant imagine any carpentry skills needed. Its more if an assembly skills thats needed. Highest point looks high, will you need small platforms, ,ladders. Etc?., Lots of help will b nedded too .
    No, it's a DIY job from start to finish. It's made from 2" X 1" battons with spacer blocks formed on a simple jig. You'd easily make all the rafters in a day. Assembly is straight forward. The height is a problem alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Beautiful! But I cant imagine how in a million years all that timber would work out cheaper than a standard polytunnel. Or a DIY one using 2 inch pipe.
    A wonderful thing to do if half the point was the pleasure of all that carpentry but it's not going to be quicker or cheaper. The hotspot tape alone would cost more than a commercial tunnel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The biggest issue I see with this design is the use of wood inside the plastic sheeting

Polytunnels by their nature have high levels of humidity and extreme of temperature

I know from working in polytunnels that wood used as ground dividers etc has a limited lifetime - the wood starts to break down fairly quickly

Now using all treated wood is going to push up your costs imo and even them will not last as long as metal hoops.

What is feedback from such Polytunnel owners in the states?

Advertisement