Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shogun 2 Total War

• 06-08-2013 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi everyone :)

I was hoping to buy Shogun 2 Total war for my fiancé as a gift but I have no idea if it will run on his computer. He has a new laptop so plenty of room but its a Windows 8....I assume the game should play on a windows 8 laptop?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

martinak89 wrote: »
    Hi everyone :)

I was hoping to buy Shogun 2 Total war for my fiancé as a gift but I have no idea if it will run on his computer. He has a new laptop so plenty of room but its a Windows 8....I assume the game should play on a windows 8 laptop?

Thanks!
    You may be assuming wrong, shogun 2 is a demanding game, it requires a dedicated graphics card. You need to know if his laptop has a dedicated graphics card.

Plenty of modern games are the same, Gaming desktops, or Gaming Laptops are a different breed to many normal computers.

Maybe try this website http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri you can put in the game name and there is an app to tell you if it will run or not obviously you would need to do this from his laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭martinak89

Awesome I'll try that link on one of the rare occasions he's away from his laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You may be assuming wrong, shogun 2 is a demanding game, it requires a dedicated graphics card. You need to know if his laptop has a dedicated graphics card.

Nah, it can look alright with the more modern integrated ones:

The game is pretty well optimised for low-end systems, CPU is more of an issue than GPU in many cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

nesf wrote: »
    Nah, it can look alright with the more modern integrated ones:

The game is pretty well optimised for low-end systems, CPU is more of an issue than GPU in many cases.
    In fairness that battle on display is absolutely tiny only 3 units, more often than not the screen is filled with units and that could make all the difference

In fairness that battle on display is absolutely tiny only 3 units, more often than not the screen is filled with units and that could make all the difference

Sure, but they've turned it well up past low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

That's a desktop chip no? would be far more powerful than anything a laptop could field.

Best bet is to find out what laptop he has (name and model) and we could recommend some games that would run on it

Jonny7 wrote: »
    That's a desktop chip no? would be far more powerful than anything a laptop could field.

Best bet is to find out what laptop he has (name and model) and we could recommend some games that would run on it

Intel HD 4000 Graphics? No, it's an integrated chip, you can find it on the latest generation Intel boards and in many laptops from the last year or so.

Edit: Ah I get you. Yeah. I don't know, I've read about quite a few people having good luck with older hardware and this game on low settings. I'd be cautiously optimistic that it'll run so long as he has a half decent GPU from the last couple of years. He probably won't have all the graphical bells and whistles though.

Advertisement