Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much would you charge??

Options
  • 06-08-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

How much would you charge for 2 dozen cupcakes, 2 dozen mixed scones and 2 8inch lemon cakes?
    I have calculated up 112 Euro , Does this seem correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

That sounds very cheap TBH. I would charge at least €1.50 per cupcake, €1 per scone. The cakes depend on the finish. Are they being sugarpasted with decoration?

Cupcakes €36-48
    Scones €24-36
    Cakes ?? Depends on finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

toadfly wrote: »
    That sounds very cheap TBH. I would charge at least €1.50 per cupcake, €1 per scone. The cakes depend on the finish. Are they being sugarpasted with decoration?

Cupcakes €36-48
    Scones €24-36
    Cakes ?? Depends on finish
    I agree with this, but it would also depend on whether you are a professional baker/cake artist with all the overheads or are you a non-professional doing it for family/friends?

Personally I think if you are a non professional doing it for family friends, I wouldn't charge the full whack that professionals with overheads (wages, tax etc) do.

I do understand that a lot of work goes into making and perfecting the cakes and cup cakes but I wouldn't think it fair that.

Personally, I would add the cost of ingredients (if I had to buy them especially) and a little bit for myself. If I didn't have to buy the ingredients especially, then I wouldn't charge much for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I have my own business for making personal cakes etc for people who contact me. I do buy the most of the extra ingredients as the orders come in and I will have to buy 2 cake boards and boxes for this order too as I am all out of the size. In the past year I have started doing it for people that are not family members. This lady has ordered stuff from me before.
    Toadfly, I agree with you on prices. I will be doing a buttercream icing on the cakes and putting a lemon filling in the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I have my own business for making personal cakes etc for people who contact me. I do buy the most of the extra ingredients as the orders come in and I will have to buy 2 cake boards and boxes for this order too as I am all out of the size. In the past year I have started doing it for people that are not family members. This lady has ordered stuff from me before.
    Toadfly, I agree with you on prices. I will be doing a buttercream icing on the cakes and putting a lemon filling in the centre.

In that case, I agree with what Toadfly says about charging €1.50 per cup cake, although, I do know of bakeries that charge double that for cup cakes.

For cupcakes I would charge maybe €1.80, scones €1.40 and the cakes, well a local bakery near me charge about €30 for a cake as you described it.

If you go with those prices it's coming in at €136.80, and that's excluding ingredients, boards etc.

Can you use the ingredients for anything else? Or are they solely for this person's order?

If they are solely for this person's order I would maybe charge a bit more for them + the boards, you could round it up to €150 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

How did you do your calculations? Are they just figures based on what you think you should charge or have you totted up your costs for ingredients, electricity, boards/boxes, cupcake cases etc, any insurance costs. If you should be so lucky as to actually make profit then you must allow for any tax payable as well.

To see whether or not it is worth your while you need to be very accurate in your costings, then add on an hourly rate you want to make based on how long it takes, including the cleaning up, the worst bit!

Buying boxes/boards one at a time is very expensive, much better to buy in bulk and I always think the customer shouldn't have to pay the extra cost for a box bought that way. It is very hard to compete with bakeries on things like scones, the added value comes in usually in the decorative end which the bakeries don't do as much such as novelty type cakes. Bakeries will also be using bulk mixes which will work out cheaper and unfortunately I find most people don't seem to care what their scone is made from, cheap marg or best butter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

phormium wrote: »
    How did you do your calculations? Are they just figures based on what you think you should charge or have you totted up your costs for ingredients, electricity, boards/boxes, cupcake cases etc, any insurance costs. If you should be so lucky as to actually make profit then you must allow for any tax payable as well.

To see whether or not it is worth your while you need to be very accurate in your costings, then add on an hourly rate you want to make based on how long it takes, including the cleaning up, the worst bit!

Buying boxes/boards one at a time is very expensive, much better to buy in bulk and I always think the customer shouldn't have to pay the extra cost for a box bought that way. It is very hard to compete with bakeries on things like scones, the added value comes in usually in the decorative end which the bakeries don't do as much such as novelty type cakes. Bakeries will also be using bulk mixes which will work out cheaper and unfortunately I find most people don't seem to care what their scone is made from, cheap marg or best butter!

I have gotten my price by costing ingredients, electricity, time etc. I feel like I am under charging myself ie) my own profit! This lady asked for butter instead of marg to be used and of course free range eggs instead of other ones. ( I would never use any other kind any ways!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Well at least you have a customer who wants quality, now she just needs to be prepared to pay properly for it! Does your profit take into account an hourly rate for the time or it is just the excess after costs have been paid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Madiller29

Sounds good

Advertisement