Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten famous Limerick people

• 06-08-2013 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I came across this actress in a movie recently...and then discovered that she was from Limerick! Her name is Constance Smith...she had a colourful but sad life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constance_Smith

I never heard of her before. I am wondering are there other "famous" Limerick people out there that we don't know so well

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

She was a bit fecked up in the head!
    In 1962 she was sentenced to three months in prison for stabbing her boyfriend, the documentary maker and film historian Paul Rotha. On 4 February 1968, she stabbed Rotha for the second time and was charged with attempted murder. She and Rotha married in 1974. She also tried several times again to kill herself

She tried to kill her boyfriend and then married him?! And then tried to kill herself WTF!?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭noisenotmusic

I'm more curious what possessed the Rotha guy to stay with her after two stabbings.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Midnight Shadow

I never said it was nice....but she was interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

There's a good few of them on this site http://limerickslife.com/category/whowas/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Midnight Shadow

Cheers folks..good links..thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

never forget our very own Sean South.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭zimmermania

daveob007 wrote: »
    never forget our very own Sean South.
    It would be difficult to forget him,he belonged to a right wing catholic organisation called Marie Duche and he wrote a series of letters to the Limerick Leader objecting to the showing of american movies in limerick cinemas saying that many hollywood actors were communists and they and their movies should be kept out of ireland.South also did not recognise the democratically elected government and he believed that the ira were the legitimate army of the state,so you are correct many of us who believe in democracy will not foget him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

It would be difficult to forget him,he belonged to a right wing catholic organisation called Marie Duche

Hi Zimmermania,

Will you point me in the direction of more information about this organisation. I can't find anything on google.

Fries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

Hi Zimmermania,

Will you point me in the direction of more information about this organisation. I can't find anything on google.

Fries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Duce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Here is a thread about little Seanie:
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/history/100334-sean-south-why-do-people-commemorate-lunatic.html

I think his death would win the Darwin award, taking on armed trained soldiers/police with pikes and old guns.

Hi Zimmermania,

Fries.
    Hi,my spelling may have meant you could not find any info.Maria Duce was founded by a Fr Fahey and he is well worth a little research,South was a real fan and this part of his life is often glossed over by those who claim South as some kind of "freedom fighter"and hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

You can't beat a good old Limerick eccentric.
    1074733438.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I used to love bumping into Dodo and her dogs when I was a kid ! :D

You can't beat a good old Limerick eccentric.
    1074733438.jpg
    Unreal,i often met her and her dogs if you saw it in a movie you would not believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

terry wogan
    eddie ryan
    and gentle john dundun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

The great Pat Lawless was a great Limerick man,sailed around the world single handedly in a handy sized boat,should be a statue made to honour him.

Advertisement