Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling the Ring of Beara in Kerry/Cork video...

• 06-08-2013 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all.

Some video highlights here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBVCm8prjr8&feature=em-upload_owner

did this gorgeous route last Saturday. It has everything from breathtaking scenery, generally quiet roads, great surfaces , tough climbs and it is considered tougher than the ring of kerry.

Well worth a go !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

yip stunning cycling country thats a fact.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

Did it couple months ago wit club.was 25degrees, coulda been south of France.great spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭nilhg

Can't wait for the Rebel Tour now, all that plus the Healy Pass twice:).

Great video, really well shot, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

You'll love the rebel tour nilhg. The healy pass is a superb climb. Glad you enjoyed the vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

i am looking for advise on the ring of beara route v ring of kerry route. - i am looking at cycling the ring of beara in May. what does it like compared to the ring of kerry route?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Nmccd wrote: »
    i am looking for advise on the ring of beara route v ring of kerry route. - i am looking at cycling the ring of beara in May. what does it like compared to the ring of kerry route?

Beara is tougher but more scenic
    way more scenic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

way more scenic

I'd have to agree on both fronts on that, incredible scenery with nasty /tasty drags

way more scenic
    shaka wrote: »
    I'd have to agree on both fronts on that, incredible scenery with nasty /tasty drags

All that plus way less traffic, especially once you go by Castletownbere.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ColumnLunch

Doing the Ring of Beara cycle myself in May. I'm doing the 100km route as opposed to the 140km route.

This is in preparation for the Ring of Kerry in July.
    How does the 100km route compare to the ROK? I'm a bit worried about the climbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

^
    Column, the 100k Ring of Beara is a not a patch on the 140k version as a cycle. The section from Eyeries to CastletownBeara is IMHO ine of the most non description routes in the region. The 40km that you miss out are is the reason to do the cycle. Eyeries - Allihies - Castletown via the coast is breathtaking. Three very short but tough climbs but are hugely rewarding.
    As regards the climbs on the 100km - the first after 16km is very like the first climb on the ROK (Coomakista) no steep sections but an exposed drag. Nice views of Kenmare Bay at the top.
    The second real climb is out of Glengariff to Caha Pass. Same length as Molls Gap on the ROK but very slightly tougher. Lots of area to recover. In a good daughter views of Bantry Bay are the best views in the country.

However all of that pails into insignificance when you lose out in the middle 40km. Do it, it is tough but you will never regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Amazing part of the country. Spent a few days down there last year working. If you're doing it again and using Kenmare as a base, book in to Packies restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I've got to agree with previous posts, an absolutely stunning part of the country to cycle. Most of the Ring of Beara is tough but manageable but as previously posted around the allihies is fairly brutal. Only venture down there if you are seriously fit.
    We cycled the rebel 85 Km route in reverse last weekend. The only difference was we included the Lauragh climb that the rebel tour avoids.
    A dry but windy day but it was well worth it, the view from the top of the Caha pass down onto Bantry bay was worth all of the pain, it's got to be one the most breathtaking views in the country.
    One note of caution is that they are re - surfacing the end section of the healy pass ( the Cork/adrigole side). There are about 5 Km of loose stones and gravel so take it very handy if you're climbing and proceed with extreme caution if descending.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ColumnLunch

Thanks guys!!

I've no doubt that that the views are outstanding down that part of the country but I wouldn't have the fitness to tackle the 140km route yet so going to stick with the 100km route.

Really looking forward to it but not the long climbs. Least it's good training for the ROK and hopefully the weather will be nice.

Was down there today for a quickie. Its nearly too nice. Blown up the hill out of Castletownbere and most of the way to Allihies. Which was nice. Very tough on the leg back to Eeyries though.
    Blue skies, warm sun, roads deserted except for the odd French car.

BFtihVL.jpg
    u4VEAeM.jpg
    wMLN9QG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomfla

I'm doing the 140km with a small bit of training but nothing huge.

Someone told me over the weekend that there is a 20% gradient, how long does that last for and what gradient is Molls Gap for comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

Tomfla wrote: »

Someone told me over the weekend that there is a 20% gradient, how long does that last for and what gradient is Molls Gap for comparison.

Molls gap is mostly in the 3% region with bits at 4%. There are some very steep bits near Allihies. Sharp short climbs that I personally find fairly tough. Molls gap is a pleasure compared to them. But if it was easy everyone would be doing it!

Tomfla wrote: »

Don't think there's anything with 20%
    Steepest part IMO is a ramp at the top of the healy pass, but it's only a couple of meters
    However, thats not the worst bit, it's after Allihies, 3 short sharp climbs close together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The two climbs between Uhran and Allihies (Reentrusk and & ?) hit 20% but both are less than 1km in length. Substantially steeper than top of Healy Pass - which is not on Ring of Beara cycle.

Someone called the segment where you go over the top of Cods Head/Reentrusk Ouch!!!, sort of appropriate, but at least it's short, and worth it for the views from the top.

http://veloviewer.com/segment/5491725

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Praying for good weather this Saturday

:)

• Advertisement

Praying for good weather this Saturday

:)

Forecast looking good, warm and dry, it being the Beara peninsula I would expect some breeze but it should be decent.

Well that was a terrific day down in the Beara peninsula. I must say the organisation was top notch, they got it spot on from start to finish. From signing in to marshalling and food stops no cyclist could ask any more. Friendly helpful atmosphere from everyone and the added bonus of near perfect weather conditions which enhanced the spectacular scenery in this part of the country.I did the 100 but it turned out to be nearer 110 Km on a challenging route, slopes from start to finish and Caha to round it off was tough going.
    A few walkers on the way up and a few more with cramp but the breath taking views as we climbed were worth the pain.
    A great welcome when we arrived back in Kenmare, the locals really seemed to get behind this event and a nice selection of food for hungry and weary cyclists. A few took advantage of the physio and cold water treatments. Very nice medal, it's great to receive something that should stand the test of time.
    So all and all a big thumbs up from me, hopefully this event will become an annual fixture on the calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭youtheman

Today ranks as one of the best sportives I have ever been on. Great route, brilliant scenery, great food, perfect weather.

Did any of ye see the guy in the Skoda jersey in Kerry colours. Had no helmet. He passed me on the inside and I yelled 'helmet'. He told me to go f*ck myself. I was thinking afterwards that its no bad thing really, after-all, we need more 'organ donors'!¬.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Photos going up via the fb page

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomfla

youtheman wrote: »
    Today ranks as one of the best sportives I have ever been on. Great route, brilliant scenery, great food, perfect weather.

Did any of ye see the guy in the Skoda jersey in Kerry colours. Had no helmet. He passed me on the inside and I yelled 'helmet'. He told me to go f*ck myself. I was thinking afterwards that its no bad thing really, after-all, we need more 'organ donors'!¬.

I saw that guy a few times. I'm not sure was he even wearing shorts, definitely had the runners on. So if he doesn't do much cycling I could understand him getting a little angry on the way around.

Top day out with some extremely tough climbs. A lot of people got off to walk sections.

Very well organised, hopefully they don't allow any more people in than this year. The ROK would be substantially better with less people

Advertisement