Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Size of board for progressing beginner

Options
  • 06-08-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi guys,
    I've been surfing more than usual recently...still hiring the board tho.
    Now I'm thinking about getting my own one, the only problem is the size.
    I'm 182cm (~6ft) tall and 75kg (165 pounds) heavy.
    I was getting on all right, stood up without a problem, managed a steered that foamy monster a little bit.

I'd like to get my own one - a mini-mal - as I feel that's the best type of board for me.
    Sizewise - I think 7'6" would be ideal. Or 7'2". Or 7'10"?
    Want to buy a second hand board, but I couldn't find a 7'6"...just 7'2" or 7'10".
    So, should I wait or get shorter or longer one?

Also, if there's a nice second hand mini-mal for sale in or around waterford, here I am, let me know about it please!

Thanks for any useful advice!
    p.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Honestly I'd advise getting a 9ft+ longboard if you can afford it but if you're set on a mini-mal go for the 7'10.

Basically the bigger the board the easier you'll find it for learning. It will feel very different to the foamy too.

Keep an eye on adverts.ie or donedeal, Bic boards and the like tend to pop up fairly often.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MACtic

Agree. Don't go shorter than 7'10. Go longer if possible, 8ft minimal (that would be my choice considering your weight) or even 9ft.
    I recently bought 9ft Torq surfboard and I'm absolutely delighted. I'm 90 kilos mind you.

Check also surf shops for used boards as they always have something. From my experience surf shops in Bundoran have many of them. You can even check online or even better call them and see as 2nd hand boards come and go on almost daily basis especially minimals.

Advertisement