Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV repair Cork

Options
  • 06-08-2013 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

hi,

if this isnt the correct place then please move but i thought it was a bargain.

i rang a few places to try to get my old TV assessed to see if its worth getting repaired.

found this guy who only charges €30 to assess the telly. €20 cheaper than the next cheapest place

he works from his workshop out the back of his house and also sells refurbed TVs from time to time

lets see if it is worth it in the end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'd have charged you a tenner, if you told me the model no. Not a B.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

I'd have charged you a tenner, if you told me the model no. Not a B.A.

how would you assess my TV's repairability and the cost of repair from dublin without seeing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

chopsey wrote: »
    hi,

if this isnt the correct place then please move but i thought it was a bargain.
    More suited at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=478
    i rang a few places to try to get my old TV assessed to see if its worth getting repaired.
    What does it not do anymore?

Is it a flat TV, or one of the big old TV's? If the latter, may be a cheap fix, if the former, doubtful. Also, how old is it? Any chance it would still be in warranty?

the_syco wrote: »
    More suited at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=478

What does it not do anymore?

Is it a flat TV, or one of the big old TV's? If the latter, may be a cheap fix, if the former, doubtful. Also, how old is it? Any chance it would still be in warranty?

What do you mean what does it not do? it doesnt work.....

its a CRT that i bought in 2002, its HITACHI so no warranty.

i'm not sure any of the questions are relevant tbh because i needed a tv repaired and i shopped around to find the cheapest assessor i didnt say he was the ceapest repairer but in my opinion it is a bargain. cause i've saved €20 on the next cheapest.

I'm not sure about you but for me a new TV is a big investment so if i dont have to i wont.

quick update.

dropped the TV off yesterday evening at 5pm

just got a call at 11am today to say its ready for collection total cost of €70 (paid €30 last night for assessment so €40 to pay today)

now i do think that is a bargain, guy from an alternative repair shop told me without even looking at the TV that it would be €100 minimum.

so for €70 i've saved myself the price of a new TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nice cheap fix. Did he say what caused it to stop working?

the_syco wrote: »
    Nice cheap fix. Did he say what caused it to stop working?

yeah i'm well happy, nearly broke my back lifting it out of the boot last night when i got home but managed it.

he said there was a transformer problem but he had the parts in stock, he also said that he resoldered alot of the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Fair play a TV bought in 2002 and still going. Doubt the new LCD/LED's would last nearly as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

quick update.

dropped the TV off yesterday evening at 5pm

just got a call at 11am today to say its ready for collection total cost of €70 (paid €30 last night for assessment so €40 to pay today)

now i do think that is a bargain, guy from an alternative repair shop told me without even looking at the TV that it would be €100 minimum.

yep i agree this guy is top notch at fixing tv's, mine stopped working and i thought it was for the skip until i came across this tread, brought the tv to him and he had fixed within a few days, he was very reasonable and a sound fella aswell, it saved me 5 or 6 hundred as i would of have to of bought a new one.

The guys name is Bill McHwraith and he works from his house in Ballyvolane( easy to find)

Phone 021 4211222 mob 0868515107

Advertisement