Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Inactivity

Options
  • 06-08-2013 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right place to ask/say this.

I don't want point fingers or name names but basically I have noticed in a few forums that there are moderators who rarely ever actually use the forums.

There is one Mod in particular I can think of who hasn't logged onto the site in 10 months and even then it must be at least a year or a year and half since they posted in the forum that they moderate. And possible 2 years since they've actually been frequently posting or showing any kind of interest in the forum. I can PM the name of this Moderator if it's needed but I'm not looking to single anyone out. This is just an example.

Now, I appreciate that all Mods are voluntary and do not have an obligation to post in the forum. But in the example I have given there are three other moderators who keep the place ticking over nicely, all posting in the forum and showing interest. I don't think it's fair that the Mod who never uses the forum can just log on one day and start moderating having been absent for so long. Especially since it seems there is no need for them.

In some of the hosted forums you have to post at least one in a certain amount of time in order to maintain access. Why can't it be the same rule for moderators. I know some forums are very quiet and fair enough no-one is expecting the Mods to be having convos with themselves. But surely a post at least once in a three month period should be obligatory.

Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of being a moderator. Would just like to hear a bit of discussion around this point. For me I just think it's unfair on the other Mods of the forums who put in a lot of effort.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

People take sabbaticals for various reasons. Therefore we just ensure the forum is covered by other mods who are content to look after the place.

That said, absentee mods are removed regularly after being given a decent amount of time to respond. If you think a forum is deteriorating due to lack of mod action, then PM the CMods, but if you just notice that an existing mod is never there I wouldn't be concerned. The main thing is the forum is ticking over and there may be a genuine reason for that mods absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Yes, I suppose you're right. and if the other Mods are happy enough with the situation then it doesn't really matter.

But for instance if the moderator is actually active on the site but just doesn't contribute at all to the forum, do they just have to answer with 'yes, I'm still interested in being a moderator' to keep on being a moderator of the forum?

As you said it doesn't really matter I guess as long as the forum is covered. Just might become an issue for newbies PMing mods who aren't active or no longer interested in the forum. The newbs may not get the response they should, or may not get one at all.

Advertisement