Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA money grabbing

• 06-08-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Following Clare's victory over Galway, I requested tickets through my club for the semi finals
    In attendance will be my elderly GAA mad parents, my daughter and I, my eldest brother who is travelling back to Ireland for the match with his wife and 2 kids and my other brother with his wife and 4 kids
    All in, 7 adults, 7 kids
    The GAA in its wisdom is not allocating clubs ANY juvenile for the Cusack or Hogan stands so we either sit in the Davin with the kids or pay full price for 7 kids for the Cusack (apparently the Hogan does not have juvenile tickets at all)
    There is no point in my parents sitting on the Davin end, they won't see a thing ditto travelling home from Eastern Europe I wouldn't expect my elder brother to pay €160 for four tickets
    In fairness you'd see a lot more on the TV
    So much for "Nothing Beats Being There" :rolleyes:
    Disgraceful :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Following Clare's victory over Galway, I requested tickets through my club for the semi finals
    In attendance will be my elderly GAA mad parents, my daughter and I, my eldest brother who is travelling back to Ireland for the match with his wife and 2 kids and my other brother with his wife and 4 kids
    All in, 7 adults, 7 kids
    The GAA in its wisdom is not allocating clubs ANY juvenile for the Cusack or Hogan stands so we either sit in the Davin with the kids or pay full price for 7 kids for the Cusack (apparently the Hogan does not have juvenile tickets at all)
    There is no point in my parents sitting on the Davin end, they won't see a thing ditto travelling home from Eastern Europe I wouldn't expect my elder brother to pay €160 for four tickets
    Why do you all have to sit in the same area? Get the kids and 1 or 2 adults to go into the canal end and then the rest of the adults in the Hogan or Cusack stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Think its the club might be riding you ... if you haven't bought yet... youse can all be accommodated in the Upper Cusack .. tickets.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Why do you all have to sit in the same area? Get the kids and 1 or 2 adults to go into the canal end and then the rest of the adults in the Hogan or Cusack stand.

Because two of the kids speak no Englsh their parents want to be with them, and the other 4 are too young to be separated

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Think its the club might be riding you ... if you haven't bought yet... youse can all be accommodated in the Upper Cusack .. tickets.ie

Tried buying online not selling juvenile
    And it's not our club I've checked with clubs in Galway and Roscommon same story Davin end or nought

My point is, either end you won't see much, so it's a waste of time better stay home and watch on TV
    Nothing beats being there my ass :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

It's hurling, ye won't be able to see the ball anyway, if you're lucky there'll be a fight down in front of the Davin.

People go for the atmosphere and the craic as much as for the view, re the kids, imo there's usually little point in bringing them if they're younger than 7/8, but each to their own etc.

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    It's hurling, ye won't be able to see the ball anyway, if you're lucky there'll be a fight down in front of the Davin.

People go for the atmosphere and the craic as much as for the view, re the kids, imo there's usually little point in bringing them if they're younger than 7/8, but each to their own etc.

Small lack of babysitters when the whole family is going to the match :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The GAA has a few big games at this time of year which is an important revenue source for the association to cross subsidise all of the other stuff that makes little or no money. There are GAA people willing to pay full whack for the Hogan/Cusack seats and it is reasonable to sell tickets to them and not at a discount. There are many many games during the year when everyone can sit together at neglible cost, there are one or two where this is not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

My point is, either end you won't see much, so it's a waste of time better stay home and watch on TV
    Nothing beats being there my ass :mad:

the GAA offer €5 tickets for kids yet you still are not happy? baffling, but unsurprising.

certain sections are designed for kids or allocated as such. would you want you child for example sitting beside a bunch or random drunk louts who spend the day cursing and shouting, just cos you want to have the best seats in the house?

impossible to please everybody, but dont call the GAA money grabbing when your real problem is your nose is out of joint as you cant sit in the main stands, which by the way happen to be sold out anyway.

the view from the upper cusack is perfect by the way and for the semi 2 years ago, we took in a bunch of 4-6 year olds with us, along with my father who is nearly 70. we all got on great, had a perfect view and the kids tickets were €5 a head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

when i was a kid i was brought to the league matches, but not the championship ones, not until i was 12, the logic being that i was not as interested until i hit that age, it was true to some degree i guess.

It's a pity that you have to pay so much, but I think it's pretty much the same in many sports or events, a seat is a seat, it's not like the old days when small kids took up less space than adults, H&S has impacted on that on person per seat. There are some great deals for family tickets and league matches but as the demand for tickets goes up I guess they don't want to sell the tickets for €10 when they can get €30.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

If you really want to be there you'll pay it if not then you won't.

So, the theory is ill either pay €40 quid a head for 14 people if I want decent tickets or take the crap ones just for the atmosphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Gone be with the days when we were all given a bottle of TK Red Lemonade and packet of crisps and sent off to fill the old Nally Stand with the OAPs. We wouldn't see our fathers again until we arrived at the arranged post match meeting point which was usually the Big Tree on Dorset Street! Happier times. Kids these days don't know they're born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Or Pay €90 for One Direction Tickets.

My season ticket cost me €80 I got to see 9 League game, the club final, Ulster V Len and the first championship game for it, that's 12 games (excluding possibly 4 or 5 double headers) I had great seats for them all, but now at the business end I pay up for the rest of the tickets and I see nothing wrong with that.

The GAA need to make money and they have plenty of offers on during the year, but they are not going to turn away from revenue for their best seats, I see nothing wrong with it they still have offers for kids.

I was in section 705 for the Cork Dublin game on Saturday, there was some sort of a barney between some tyrone and Dublin supporters behind us during the dublin game, it really was not suitable for kids a good few had to be brought home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

So, the theory is ill either pay €40 quid a head for 14 people if I want decent tickets or take the crap ones just for the atmosphere?

you're paying for all the tickets personally? Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

All in, 7 adults, 7 kids

The view in the Davin isn't that bad. Not much difference in the view in most sections and as good or better vantage points in some cases than being at the back of the upper hogan or cusack.

Also €160 for 4 tickets..shock horror! Try getting 4 tickets to a concert or any half decent rugby or soccer game. The GAA gets a lot of stick, some of it is deserved, but for an amateur organisation that relies heavily on gate receipts, they don't go out of their way to fleece people in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Would you not agree that tickets worth 40 euro should be better seats than ones with 5 euro? The view isn't that bad from the canal end anyway. Also may I just ask how many games you have been at this year? I just want to know if you are a genuine supporter or just jumping on the bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Upper Davin is a good view & kid friendly, it's an All Ireland semi & usually a good atmosphere.

You could buy the Cusack Stand tickets on ticketmaster but you'll have to pay full adult price. You will then get a refund if a child uses the ticket for admission. The kids go through another turnstile inside the stadium & get the refund. :D

The kids refund turnstiles are on the corner of the Cusack & Davin Stands.

Stop complaining you could have the misfortune of supporting Wexford :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

There's plenty of juvenile tickets available for the Upper Cusack on tickets.ie and they're only 3 rows back from the front too. A lot of people seem to have a massive sense of entitlement when it comes to GAA tickets, they'd still whinge if they got them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

I was in section 705 for the Cork Dublin game on Saturday, there was some sort of a barney between some tyrone and Dublin supporters behind us during the dublin game, it really was not suitable for kids a good few had to be brought home.

I must have been sitting beside u... Tickets.ie have seats in upper cusack 710row c nothing wrong with them.. You,ll see everything from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I must have been sitting beside u... Tickets.ie have seats in upper cusack 710row c nothing wrong with them.. You,ll see everything from there
    +1

WHAT is this thread about?
    Theres upper Cusack €5 juevenile seats available online now, decent views guaranteed, with ZERO booking fee

If thats grab all/ rip off then the OP should go feed the ducks on the liffey or something which is about all you'll get cheaper than getting a kid into an all ireland semi final for a fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

+1

Theres upper Cusack €5 juevenile seats available online now, decent views guaranteed, with ZERO booking fee

If thats grab all/ rip off then the OP should go feed the ducks on the liffey or something which is about all you'll get cheaper than getting a kid into an all ireland semi final for a fiver.
    Yep Munchkin posted that yesterday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Goddamn eastern europeans coming over here taking all our good tickets :)

define a crap ticket? theres only so many tickets in the ground, most people are delighted to be there, you seem to want padded seats on the half way line with wifi access and inbuild 3d replay on your front access panel.

and no, your bulls*it here about having to pay €40 is nonsense, as there are no €40 tickets left to buy in lower hogan or cusack- there are however lots of €5 tickets left in upper cusask which will make 1000's of people happy.

i honestly think you better stay at home as you seem intend on not enjoying the day and maybe Sport is not for you. i hear a new series of the Late Late show is starting soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

define a crap ticket?

Unless one is half blind there's no such thing in Croker any more. I watched the 2010 hurling final from the upper Davin. Despite the fact that there was a mist for the a lot of the minor match, I could see the hill end perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

antoobrien wrote: »
    Unless one is half blind there's no such thing in Croker any more. I watched the 2010 hurling final from the upper Davin. Despite the fact that there was a mist for the a lot of the minor match, I could see the hill end perfectly.

The Upper Davin seats have a cracking view!
    I think I have sat in nearly every area of the stadium at least once and the worst view I have had was in the corner between the Davin and the Cusack but then again I could see everything just the Hill End was a bit far away.

Although I do have glasses and had forgotten them!

Basically in a very long winded way- I agree that there are no bad views in Croker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Isn't there an activity section for kids behind the Davin Stand - I'm sure thats why OP has found kids tickets focused on that area.

I think I have sat in nearly every area of the stadium at least once and the worst view I have had was in the corner between the Davin and the Cusack but then again I could see everything just the Hill End was a bit far away.

Although I do have glasses and had forgotten them!

Basically in a very long winded way- I agree that there are no bad views in Croker

The only bad spot I've been in is in the first 15 rows behind the goal for hurling (last year's drawn final) - I found it took a bit of getting used to looking out though the nets to follow the ball. Wouldn't be a problem for football matches tho.

All in, 7 adults, 7 kids

Would a club ever have been in a position to give 14 tickets to a single person? I doubt it
    What kind of allocation do clubs get?

A lot are kept for general sale also

• Advertisement

Would a club ever have been in a position to give 14 tickets to a single person? I doubt it

so not only does this poster want the best seat in the house, but cheaper than anybody else, they also want 14 in a row for an all ireland semi final?! good grief....

Kids tickets are available for €5 online in upper cusack, 3rd row. 14 tickets can be bought in a group of 8 maximum.
    Stoner wrote: »
    It's a pity that you have to pay so much,.

but the thing is, she doesnt. she can get 7 kids tickets for €35 in total in the Upper Cusack right now, on tickets.ie. her problem is she expects to get seats that are already sold out, for €5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

€70 for premiership ticket. to watch West Brom.

I don't see the issue with tickets behind the goals. they are discounted tickets to encourage clubs to attend with underage players.
    we're bringing up over 50 kids from our club in the midlands, for the day out. we go every year.
    if you were a real Clare or Limerick supporter you would pay any money to get a good ticket.

so not only does this poster want the best seat in the house, but cheaper than anybody else, they also want 14 in a row for an all ireland semi final?! good grief....

Kids tickets are available for €5 online in upper cusack, 3rd row. 14 tickets can be bought in a group of 8 maximum.

I just always find that my club or any club that I know of give a maximum of 2 tickets to people- 14 to one person would be crazy!

Surely some others in the club will want tickets- also clubs get a very limited amount of juvenile tickets and if they get a whole pile more than 7 then I will be surprised.
    So maybe they were not in a position to give them all to one person.

I just find the sense of entitlement hilarious!
    Its so important a game that the guy's brother is flying home from Eastern Europe for it yet he is looking for tickets less than a week before it?

Tickets have been on sale for ages and if it is that important to the guy's brother than maybe it is equally as important to better organised people who will thus have sorted out tickets when they first went on sale.

The o.p. would probably be better off ringing the co board to see if they can arrange a group rate, they'd probably do it for that many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The o.p. would probably be better off ringing the co board to see if they can arrange a group rate, they'd probably do it for that many people.
    The only tickets that were being given to clubs for games up to now at a discounted rate were behind the goals, i.e. not centre line hogan (preferably premium level, if not a box, if not with in seat hostess service, and for no more than a fiver a head) that the OP wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

+1

Have you seen the price of bread in Superquin :confused: disgraceful, what is the OP supposed to do, buy a loaf a bread a few days in advance of feeding the ducks and leaving it go stale then throwing it away on some overfed greedy ducks, plus what do the adults do while this is all going on, surely Dublin Corpo should be putting on some free entertainment while the kids are feeding the ducks, what about seating, all the park benches are all taken up, feeding ducks is a rip off in Dublin, I blame the GAA. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

there is no need for anything, country or club or even posting on here about it.

just go online and buy the 7 tickets for €5 each and be done with it.

The only tickets that were being given to clubs for games up to now at a discounted rate were behind the goals, i.e. not centre line hogan (preferably premium level, if not a box, if not with in seat hostess service, and for no more than a fiver a head) that the OP wants.

I'm aware of that, they might get a better deal as a package tho.

I'm aware of that, they might get a better deal as a package tho.

considering all kids tickets are already €5, how can it get better? online your are allowed to buy up to 2 adults and 6 kids for €110, how can you get better than that?

considering all kids tickets are already €5, how can it get better? online your are allowed to buy up to 2 adults and 6 kids for €110, how can you get better than that?

Larger groups can get bigger discounts, worth a phonecall at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

People like you don't deserve a good ticket. You seem to think you're entitled to the best tickets despite it being clearly your first game all year as you'd actually be aware of the special offers the GAA have been offering. Why should the GAA provide the best tickets to people like you?? I'd stick you down the front row of the Davin if I was in charge of your tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

If you think the tickets are overpriced, don't buy them. Nobody is forced to buy overpriced tickets and if enough people refuse to pay, sense will prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

I just always find that my club or any club that I know of give a maximum of 2 tickets to people- 14 to one person would be crazy!

Surely some others in the club will want tickets- also clubs get a very limited amount of juvenile tickets and if they get a whole pile more than 7 then I will be surprised.
    So maybe they were not in a position to give them all to one person.

I just find the sense of entitlement hilarious!
    Its so important a game that the guy's brother is flying home from Eastern Europe for it yet he is looking for tickets less than a week before it?

Tickets have been on sale for ages and if it is that important to the guy's brother than maybe it is equally as important to better organised people who will thus have sorted out tickets when they first went on sale.

Not sure about the Clare game , but Juvenile tickets were available for Lr Cusack @ €5 only last week for the Dublin Game . I think maybe OP has left it too late and wants to use the GAA an an excuse for the "Bad" tickets. I saw Hurling Final 2012 from Upr Davin and had no issues . Only tickets I might avoid would be Lr Davin first few rows , or the last few rows of the upr levels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

No word back from the OP? Looks like they've done a runner like Seannie J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Well this thread had me go and book tickets
    Got 1 adult and 1 kids upper Davin €45
    have to say I was pleasntly pleased to get tickets so easily too
    Am a happy bunny.

chef wrote: »
    Well this thread had me go and book tickets
    Got 1 adult and 1 kids upper Davin €45
    have to say I was pleasntly pleased to get tickets so easily too
    Am a happy bunny.

well done, enjoy the game. hopefully you and your kid have a great time and its not spoilt by a bunch of whingers who cant eat their prawn sandwiches in the manner in which they want ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 man3003

Its that time of year when a certain type of supporter to come out of the woodwork.

OP ring the county board and ask them to move the substitutes up stairs, they get great seats and dont pay a penny for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

What annoys me about this is the OP keeps saying 'crap seats' etc when I'd imagine she's never even been in the Davin. Granted the very low rows of the lower Davin probably aren't great for hurling, but the Upper Davin is amazing. I was there for one of the All Irelands last year (over the scoreboard) and I'd honestly say its the second best place ive been behind the premium section, and I've been everywhere. Id honestly put it ahead of Ard Comhairle (lower Hogan half way line, where the president sits), and that's not exaggerating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

+1

I've always said the Davin is the best place in the ground to watch a game unfold in front of you.

Was in 307 on Sunday (between halfway & Canal '45) and hated it.

Halfway line seats are loloverrated. Behind the end line is the place to be if you want to see what's really going on all over the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

The great Father Tommy Maher liked watching from the front row of the upper cusack. He reckoned it gave him the best overall view of the game.

I've been in every part of the ground in both the old and new bar Hill 16 oddly - been in teh canal end when it was a terrace and the Nally. Davin lower behind the goal isn't great but there isn't really a bad seat in the house. For £5 for kids as well.They'll be more interested in waving their flags for much of the match rather than actually watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I learned in at League Final earlier in the year that, as DoctaDee said, there are actually bad seats. The restricted view seats at the back of the Lower Cusack and Hogan are terrible seats, it feels like you're inside. Apart from those I agree, even the widely regarded 'poor' seats have their advantage.

My favourite seats are the lower Cusack and Hogan, best mix of atmosphere and view. Upper Davin are excellent for actually watching a game, but I felt quite detached from the atmosphere. Hill and Nally have the best atmosphere, but they have their obvious disadvantages. Only seats I haven't been in is corporate and Ard-Comhairle, but how does one even get ard-comhairle seats??

• Advertisement
Advertisement