Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Pre-Clearance

Options
  • 06-08-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all!
    I was just wondering if I am eligible to use the U.S Pre-Clearance facilities in Dublin T2 if I am catching connecting flights in 3 US States but my Final Destination is the Caribbean? Or do I just clear customs in the first port of call?
    The former would be the handiest as the latter would leave me quite stuck for time between my first and second flight.
    Thanks for anyone who can offer an answer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you are on a direct, non stop flight from Ireland to the US, you will clear Customs & Immigration before you leave Ireland. Whether you are staying in the US, or taking another flight to another country, is irrelevant, you'll still pre clear C & I in Shannon or Dublin.

The only exceptions to this, are the Aer Lingus flights to Boston and Chicago. Passengers on those flights will clear C & I when they arrive in the US & will do so until October 31st. No idea why really, it's probably a space issue in the T2 pre clearance facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BMTHian.

Thanks! Yes, I'm flying American Airlines direct to Chicago for my first flight. Do you know if Pre-Clearance takes long on an average morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There is no such thing as an average morning. It all depends on how many other flights are departing at the same time as yours, how full they are and, how many US border staff are on duty manning the booths. I have whizzed through in 10 minutes on some mornings, and I have had to queue up for over an hour on others. Give yourself plenty of time, as there is no way of predicting it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BMTHian.

Alright. Thanks very much for your help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

ProudDUB wrote: »
    There is no such thing as an average morning. It all depends on how many other flights are departing at the same time as yours, how full they are and, how many US border staff are on duty manning the booths. I have whizzed through in 10 minutes on some mornings, and I have had to queue up for over an hour on others. Give yourself plenty of time, as there is no way of predicting it really.

When you check in, they will say to go straight down to immigration if it is busy, a lot of flights going out at the same time.
    They say this because you have to queue for normal security, queue for for immigration and then queue for secondary security.

Whenever I have gone through pre-clearance, the worst lines were the security lines. I tend to be at the airport pretty early, get through primary security, have a pint then go through immigration/secondary. You'll probably still end up sitting around for 10 or 15 minutes, but the constant moving is actually pretty good. Airports suck

• Advertisement
Advertisement