Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can an Irish citizen join the US Police Dept??

Options
  • 07-08-2013 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

Just a query from my 18 yr old son....something he thought about recently??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There is no such thing as the US police department. Each US city, state & county (within each state) has their own individual police force. They are all independent from each other. They are not part one one big entity the way that the Guards are here. Each one would have their own recruitment requirements & policies that are specific to them. Some would require you to be a US citizen. Others would just require you to be a legal US resident. He would need to contact the individual police forces in the city/state/counties he is thinking of moving to, to find out their requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Hmmmmm.....I would have said no, but I just checked the MA State Police Website. They state that you dont have to be a citizen to take the exam, but you must be a citizen to obtain a valid firearms permit (which I assume you need to become a trooper or regular police officer)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Does your son have a greencard? That would be the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Yup you need a Green card, but only a few States allow this. You will need to be a citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

whitey1 wrote: »
    but you must be a citizen to obtain a valid firearms permit

A firearms permit?

I'm out in Seattle so I have no experience of MA, but I thought the NRA and the firearms lobby hadnt allowed any states to require firearms permits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

InTheTrees wrote: »
    A firearms permit?

I'm out in Seattle so I have no experience of MA, but I thought the NRA and the firearms lobby hadnt allowed any states to require firearms permits?

You need a permit to carry a concealed firearm in most states, MA is a 'may issue' state.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Blay wrote: »
    You need a permit to carry a concealed firearm in most states, MA is a 'may issue' state.

Ah. Understood. A "Concealed Carry" Permit is a whole different thing from a "Firearms permit" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

InTheTrees wrote: »
    A firearms permit?

Firearms permit is not a civilian thing......every police officer has to obtain one to be allowed use a firearm as part of their job.

It's different from a concealed carry permit, and the right to carry a firearm (open carry)

Advertisement