Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New WBA striker Nicolas Anelka retires?!

• 07-08-2013 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

The lad is still a great player.He will have Long under pressure for his place this season.West Brom should do well again having also signed Diego Lugano.Long got 1 tonight.Good to see two full strength Prem teams at Turners Cross lately,with West Ham a few weeks back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Wasnt at the game but the way City have been lately and the fact WBA are so late into pre-season that result was always likely but I agree on Anelka, the guy is a good CF and will offer WBA a decent goal return this season, maybe not the same as Lukaku but he'll chip in with goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

If Anelka gets a good run in the side he'l score goals.

Brilliant calm finisher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Glad I did not go to watch that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Cork played a cup game on Monday and then this game . People are way over thinking Anelka's hat trick ,so much so that 5000 people have brought him into their Fantasy Football teams in the past 12 hours .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Wouldn't surprise me to see him bang in a few in the first few games. Before he finds something to moan about and decides he couldn't be arsed anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Just goes to show the level of debate here. It really does.

I gave up going to friendlies in my teens after recognising that they really don't mean much if anything at all. I am a city fan and forgot this was on tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I reckon Anelka is the FF bargain this season, only 4.5m on the premierleague FF league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Seaneh wrote: »
    I reckon Anelka is the FF bargain this season, only 4.5m on the premierleague FF league.
    He's 5.5.

He's 5.5.
    Ha. Fair enough. Pretty sure I paid less than that last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ha. Fair enough. Pretty sure I paid less than that last week.

Nah you couldn't have . Prices are frozen till the season kicks off .

• Advertisement

still a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

What is he at?49 days at West brom.He walked out of training and said he is retiring.Crazy stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What a guy - its being reported he has walked out of training and is to retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Walked out on training and told staff he's retiring.

From July: "“I’m absolutely devastated,” Anelka told gathered reporters. “This is a massive boost for West Brom but a huge blow for Nicolas Anelka.
    “I guess in the end time catches up with everyone but maybe I’d just presumed I had a couple of years at Seville or someone like that to look forward to. But, no, West Brom it is. It really is just a temp thing,” Anelka continued. “You know, just while I look for something better.
    “I’ll probably do a lot of football on the side too, you know freelance stuff. Put it this way, if I’m still here in six months’ time - shoot me.””

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fantastic player. Classless man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Who has him in their FF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Arsenal's new French forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I wonder if the Premier League website has crashed with people taking him out of their fantasy teams.

What a way to retire. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I made my transfer for the week earlier and left him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

1 game, he didn't even try. Why did he sign for them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Charlton Athletic via Twitter:
    BREAKING: French striker walks out of training ground.

(Yann's gone home for the day. He'll be back tomorrow.) #cafc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Gonna be a wildcard in use already thanks to him now. What a random way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Phil McNulty ‏@philmcnulty 53s
    RT: @chrislepkowski #wba insist Anelka has NOT retired. I understand agent has died - which has hit him badly. What future holds, we'll see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Pighead wrote: »
    Phil McNulty ‏@philmcnulty 53s
    RT: @chrislepkowski #wba insist Anelka has NOT retired. I understand agent has died - which has hit him badly. What future holds, we'll see

Isn't his brother or father his agent? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Just brought him in last night to prepare to get RVP in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nicolas Anelka's future is still unclear but apparently West Brom have said that he has not retired. The club says the striker won't play at the weekend against Everton and will be excused on "compassionate grounds".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Regardless of what happened with Anelka...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

His agent is his brother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If someone close to Anelka has passed away my sincerest condolences to Nickolas.
    He was a favourite player of mine when he was at Chelsea, I do hope he has not retired, wonderful footballer and any interview I've ever seen him in he came across really well.
    I was delighted to see him back in the Premier League.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

yeah try to show some class until its clear whats happened here (even then obviously show class but maybe anti-Anelka comments might be more understandable) and if something like his brother passing away has happened then it is totally understandable that he may not feel able to focus on playing for WBA right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

not his brother but Eric Manasse that has died apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC 2m
    Anelka's agent (not brother) has died. #WBA will give him time to get his head right. Suggestions he may retire are premature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Fantastic player. Classless man.

Yikes, this post is wide of the mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

ShaneU wrote: »
    Walked out on training and told staff he's retiring.

From July: "“I’m absolutely devastated,” Anelka told gathered reporters. “This is a massive boost for West Brom but a huge blow for Nicolas Anelka.
    “I guess in the end time catches up with everyone but maybe I’d just presumed I had a couple of years at Seville or someone like that to look forward to. But, no, West Brom it is. It really is just a temp thing,” Anelka continued. “You know, just while I look for something better.
    “I’ll probably do a lot of football on the side too, you know freelance stuff. Put it this way, if I’m still here in six months’ time - shoot me.””

Did he really say this when he signed for them? What a ludicrous thing to say, surely West Brom fans can't be too fond of him if this is how he feels about playing for them? I thought Gary Medels comment about openly using Cardiff as a stepping stone to bigger things was dumb enough (though very honest), but this is on a whole new level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

MR NINE wrote: »
    Did he really say this when he signed for them? What a ludicrous thing to say, surely West Brom fans can't be too fond of him if this is how he feels about playing for them? I thought Gary Medels comment about openly using Cardiff as a stepping stone to bigger things was dumb enough (though very honest), but this is on a whole new level
    I'd be pretty confident that he didn't really say any of that. Guessing it's a joke of some sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Seriously? Bloody hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

The quote is from a fourfourtwo article, and yes it's satirical.

Some other excerpts from it;
    When asked to pose with the West Brom shirt, Anelka let out an audible sigh before holding the shirt at arm's length like a discarded nappy.
    In a further bid to raise Anelka's morale, Baggies boss Steve Clarke has given the ex-Arsenal man the seat next to Peter Odemwingie on the team bus.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/anelka-bitterly-disappointed-have-joined-west-brom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Did he really say this when he signed for them?
    Pighead wrote: »
    I'd be pretty confident that he didn't really say any of that. Guessing it's a joke of some sort.

that answers that, I thought it seemed unlikely but ya never know
    COYVB wrote: »
    Seriously? Bloody hell

sincerest apologies

Advertisement