Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plodder alert

Options
  • 07-08-2013 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭

OK, time to start my own log.

Took up running in June 2011 at age 50, having quit a 37-year smoking habit. Am lucky enough to have a great gym in my workplace so I took to the treadmill, a Pilates class and the pool to to keep myself motivated. After a few months I broke through the treadmill monotony and started to enjoy the challenge of going longer. By Jan, I was taking it outside and did first 5k event in May 2012 (Docklands 5k in 26:41). It was such a buzz that I resolved to do one race per month and followed up with Docklands 8k (41:46) and Liberties Run (6.5k in 31:09).

At that point I was enjoying the running enough to have started a marathon training plan, although I wasn't particularly optimistic about finishing it. However after doing the Race Series 10-mile in 85:45, I started to believe. Two months later, I had the first marathon in the bag, completing Dublin in a slightly disappointing 4:02:26, but having enjoyed it - well the first 32k or so anyway - very much.

So here I am in 2013, 6 weeks into training for DCM 2013. I'm obviously hoping to go sub-4 this year, and have targeted 3:45,which will certainly be a challenge.

PBs to date are:

5k: 22:05 in April 2013 (Parkrun Malahide)
    5 mile: 38:03, June 2013 (Race Series)
    10k: 50:51, Dec 2012 (Aware, Phoenix Park)
    10 mile: 81:32, Mar 2013 (Bundoran)
    Half marathon: 1:46:25, Mar 2013 (Omagh)
    Marathon: 4:02:26, Oct 2013 (Dublin).

At this stage, trying to stay injury-free and reasonably hungry to pull off another marathon, which I am not taking for granted after crashing and burning during training to do Cork this June. While injury made me abandon that one, I feel the winter training will stand to me and help in the effort to do well in Dublin in October.

I think in kilometers, not miles. Which reminds me - just passed last year's total (1200k) tonight, somewhere near the wooden bridge at Dollymount. So we're ahead already :)

Onwards, upwards, and wherever it takes me. Looking forward to the Frank Duffy 10 mile in the Phoenix Park in a few weeks, which will be the next test. As a beginner, every race has been a PB so far. That, of course, can only last for so long, but I'm hoping to continue to improve for a few years yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Best of luck with the training Murph, I find keeping a log provides a great source of motivation, all the best with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Tues 6th August

12.03k easy @ 6 mins

Weds 7th August

MP Session: 2 x 6.4k (5 mins jog recovery)

Happy with this. Stuck to MP (5:18/k) for first part; felt good so upped pace on final 2k to average 5:13/k for second part. With warmup and cooldown, total of
    17:24k @ 5:29, average HR 156 (77%).

Thurs 8th August

I would normally do a 50 min recovery run today but felt feverish and skipped it.

Sun 11th August

29.03k @ 6:22/k (No HRM)

The LSR, in Donegal, was a struggle. First 11k or so directly into fresh headwind. Plus my intermittent stitch problems returned over the first 10k or so. Felt very miserable! But hung in and things were more comfortable as I turned downwind. Stopped for fluid refill, banana and snickers bar :o after 22k (didn't have my usual water belt as I had left it in Dublin). That helped me back to the house where I was just in time to see the Dubs lose the hurling SF to Cork. :(

Only 58k this week, as usual a few short of meno's recommended range but not bad under the circumstances, I suppose.

Mon 12th Aug

7.5k recovery run with the missus, who is training for the Race Series 10-mile and HM, her first stab at those distances. Feeling fairly OK despite the previous day's efforts.

Tues 13th Aug
    I normally do 8-10k on Tuesdays, but today I met up with my brother for a cycle. 34k run including a climb in Dublin Mountains up to Cruagh. The descent was much more fun. My first time doing this kind of thing and I was pleased to be able to tuck in behind my more experienced bro and not have to stop for a rest. Good cross training I reckon, but maybe not such a great idea the night before a session.

Week to date: 7.5k
    Year to date: 1,257k

Weds 14th August

I am following menoscemo's custom plan for DCM 2012 graduates, and Weds nights are session nights. This week, our taskmaster has devised a cunning plan to fool us into running 8 miles at MP, sorta. The session calls for alternating miles of 20 secs slower, then 20 secs faster than MP, repeated four times. For me, MP is 5:18/k and so I've reluctantly :rolleyes: gone imperial for the day, converting that to its equivalent 8:29 mins per mile. So my target paces for this run are 8:49 and 8:09 for the alternating laps.

Results as follows: (Garmin data here)

Mile1|Mile2|Mile3|Mile4|Mile5|Mile6|Mile7|Mile8
    8:47|8:07|8:41|8:08|8:44|8:11|8:35|8:06

I am pleased with that, considering last night's efforts and the muggy conditions prevailing tonight. Average was 8:25 per mile.

Total distance, with warmup and cooldown = 16.39k

Week to date: 24k
    Year to date: 1,273k

Thurs 15th August

50 mins 7.5k recovery run. Did this on the treadmill in the gym. Reminded me of where it all started - it's not that long since I was building up to 5k, then 10k on the 'mill.

Sat 17th August
    24k on the bike this morning. Went for a bit of an explore, checking out the new cycle path along the Tolka between Finglas and Ashtown. Impressive new park here, well done to all concerned! Then took River Road to the M50 and transferred to the Royal Canal and took that back home. 24k, bringing the bike total, including commuting, to about 95k this week.

Sun 18th August

32.2k in 3:09:57. The first 20 miler of the year, as I didn't manage to complete any in the aborted Cork buildup. It was sunny and warm in Dublin, and it felt great to be out. Really enjoyed the run, which I completed at about 5:54/k pace. Felt strong. Threw in a MP mile or so in the middle just to see if I could. The sessions are starting to pay off, maybe (thanks, meno). Took one gel half way through, which helped a little I think. Ended with a strong uphill kilometer - good practice for Roebuck. Started and ended this at the gym so that I could have a sauna and jacuzzi afterwards. Nice!

Week to date: 64k
    Year to date: 1,313k

• Advertisement

Weds 21 August

10.8k @ 5.54.

Missed last night's run. Step back week, and running the Frank Duffy 10-mile in Phoenix Park on Saturday so not going to worry about it. No more runs till Sat as I want to feel fresh and give it a lash.

Friday 23 August

Feel like I haven't run for ages. Really looking forward to the race tomorrow. 32k on the bike this week (commuting) so that makes up a little for the lack of running.

Last year, this was the race that convinced me that I would be able to complete a marathon. That day, I decided anything around 90 mins would be OK and was very happy with 85:45. I managed to lower that number to 81:32 in Bundoran this March. This time, with McMillan predicting 79:39 based on my Race Series 5-mile time, it was time to look for a sub-80.

The missus was also doing this event so we got there in good time and managed to park at the Polo Grounds before the groundsman tried to block off access. Plenty of time for a slow 2k warmup, then the OH and I parted ways, me to the back of Wave 1, she to Wave 3. There seemed to be a good turnout but I gather numbers were way down on last year (from over seven thousand to just under four). That certainly helped at the start, which was far less congested than I remember last year. I’d set a pace of 4:56 on the watch, allowing for a bit of leeway in the distance, but I vowed to run an economical racing line as I know the route pretty well. So if I stuck to that pace I should be grand.

There was plenty of room in the Wave 1 area. Lined up beside a guy wearing a belt with four (!) gels:P. Wondered if he knew something I didn’t, as I would not be taking any. The race started just after 10. The first couple of kilometres are downhill so I didn’t mind the fastish start. All well through the turn and onto the North Road towards the back of Aras an Uachtaráin. Got slightly worried with HR at 181 already after 4k (my max is 185. Well that’s what I thought until today!) Decided I don’t like watching HR data during an event and didn't bother to look at it again.

1-5k splits:
    4:43 4:40 4:59 4:54 5:00

There was a group of Drogheda and District club runners just ahead of me so I tried and stick with them as they seemed to be at the right pace for a comfortable sub-80. This kept me occupied well past the half way point (they were obviously holding back; I lost them in the second half). Unlike last year there were no fitness dancers announcing half-way a half mile early. Reached the 5-mile marker back on Chesterfield and the watch said 39:10. So far so good.

6-10k splits
    4:52 4:55 4:53 4:48 4:54

Things were going well but I knew it would get tougher on the Military Road and the closing stretches – I’d faded there during the 5-mile last June and didn’t want that disappointment again. Took a bit of a breather at a few points down Chesterfield and past the Wellington monument, then felt a stitch coming on. Potential disaster – I’ve been plagued with stitches this year, and there wasn’t enough time in the bank to stop, so I hoped for the best, slowed down a little and managed to run it off.

From 12-16k is definitely the toughest part of this course, almost consistently uphill, although there are enough downhill drags to encourage you to give it a lash, if you're up for it. I got up the hill at the magazine fort easily enough, being well prepared for it (I could see it suck the life out of a few runners, as it always does). After that it was a case of hanging on, although I could definitely feel the pace slowing through this Chapelizod section. A glance at the virtual pacer showed I was still on target, but not by a lot. “Zipped up the man suit”, as those Marathon Talk guys say (well, the old man suit at least) for the final kilometre. As the clock came into view, with the gun time still a couple of minutes under 80, I knew it was in the bag.

11-16.1k splits
    4:50 4:55 5:03 5:00 5:21 4:42 (0:23)

Previous PB: 1:21:32
    Target: < 1:20:00
    Result: 1:18:53

Have to be happy with that. Collected the lovely pink shirt (the patriarchy is up in arms about it, apparently) and jogged back to encourage the missus through her last k. We both went home happy.:)

Total distance (with warm up and cooldown): 19.7k
    Week to date: 30.5k
    Year to date: 1,344k

Great running Murph and a great report. The man suit was well zipped up at the end ;) That's an impressive improvement in a year, you're in great shape for DCM :)

Mon 26 August

50 mins recovery run tonight. Should have done it yesterday but was a bit stuck for time after a late night at the Olympia and dinner duties, not to mention a stroll down to Croke Park (hard luck meno, but ye gave it a good lash). Still buzzed after Saturday's efforts. It's a great feeling when a run goes off as planned. Definitely my best run since the Omagh HM last March. Looking forward to next month's HM now, where I'll be hoping to knock a minute or two off that Omagh time.

Definitely felt Saturday's race in the legs today. The quads are a bit tender but no damage. Will take it handy enough this week.

Week to date: 7.55k
    Year to date: 1,351k

Tue 27 August

8.38k @ 6.10

Thu 29 August

10.58k @ 5.52
    Did a pilates class just before this. Haven't been to pilates for months and months so have been neglecting the core. Was tough but I will try to do this every week at least until DCM.

Sat 31 August

10.82 @ 6.09
    This incorporated a gently paced parkrun at Malahide with Mrs M. She managed to keep up so good for her :). Then we went around the course again afterwards. Impressive preparations at Malahide for the Ireland-England cricket, which has forced changes to the course in recent weeks. Into Avoca then for coffee and some suitably expensive scones.

WTD: 37k
    YTD: 1,381k

• Advertisement

Sun 1 September

30.35k in 3:04:04 (6:04/k).

Another long one under the belt. Was supposed to be 29k but I was a little bit far from home at that point so did another little bit. I think this was my first time running this kind of distance without any assistance from gels, sports drinks, jellies, etc - just a bowl of porridge and a slice of toast from breakfast, and some water in the belt. Was definitely approaching the wall at the end, but good to be able to do this, I think (have been trying to use less gels in training this year, but will use them in DCM). Felt good throughout except for the last few k which were into a stiff wind. Garmin data here.

Off to Croker now - Hon the Dubs! (as my daughter likes to say)..

Total for week: 68k
    YTD: 1,411k

Tues 3rd Sept

Easy 10.19k @ 6:17

Possibly a tad too easy, but I had company, and still feeling the Sunday LSR.

WTD: 10.19k
    YTD: 1,421

Weds 4th Sept

21.01k in 2:02:38

Meno's latest session calls for 4 x 2 miles @ HMP, with 2 mins rest or 800m jog between reps. 2 mile warmup and cooldown also. I think I can safely say this was the toughest midweek run I've done, ever.

My HM pace is 5:02/k (8:06 mile). I hadn't done a session for a couple of weeks because of Frank Duffy prep/recovery, so it was probably never going to be easy. But as you can see from the numbers, this was definitely a struggle.

Rep Time (per mile) HR
    1 15:54 (7:57) 172
    2 16:23 (8:11) 180
    3 16:31 (8:15) 180
    4 16:48 (8:24) 178 :eek:

Rep 1 was OK but it didn't feel good. Really needed the 800m slow jog recovery. Rep 2 was worse. The recovery was a jog/walk and then had to stop the watch and get some water as I was parched (luckily I had a couple of euro in my pocket). However Rep 3 was even slower, and I abandoned the jog recoveries in favour of a few mins break. Then struggled through Rep 4 which actually didn't feel too bad at the time, but turned out to be closer to MP. The 2-mile cooldown was more like a shuffle home, with my tail between my legs. :o

There were some mitigating circumstances, I suppose. I did this at 11:30am on a hot day (about 20 degrees and sunshine). I was doing the reps as a series of one-mile out and backs on the grass along the Clontarf seafront, and there was an increasingly stiff breeze for each outward mile, which at least had a cooling effect - until you turned around, and then baked for the inward mile. So I should have waited till later, although that would have meant rearranging some other plans. Was definitely not sufficiently hydrated before and during so that's another basic error.

All in all I think I didn't give this session the respect it deserved. I'm not going to get too depressed - my HMP is reasonable based on previous races (including the Omagh earlier this year). But I still felt pretty low on the way home. But you have to take the bad days when they come.

WTD: 31k
    YTD: 1,442 k

Thurs 5th Sept

50 mins Recovery 7.91k @ 6:20

Sun 8th Sept

Long Run 32.52k @ 5:49 (3:09:08)

This week's 20 miler was a little different, as called for in Meno's plan: 10 miles (16.09k) @ very easy pace (MP + 10-20%) followed by 10 miles @ steady pace (MP + 4-5%). For me that would mean running the first half at 5:50-6:22 per k and the second half at 5:30-5:35 (MP is 5:18).

Didn't really set up the Garmin properly so the virtual pacer was resetting every kilometre and I wasn't getting a good average pace reading but I was just about able to figure things out.

First 16.09k in 1:39:18 (6:11/k).

Second 16.09k in 1:27:54 (5:28/k)

So pretty much bang on. Felt really strong during the second half and could have gone on for another bit, I'm sure. It really shows the benefit of not going out too fast (last year especially I was struggling towards the end of the LSRs).

Did this on a hilly route so doubly happy with it. Calves a little tender after but no harm done, I think.

WTD: 72k
    YTD: 1,483k

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

The hills didn't seem to hold you back today Murph.
    Good to see you being able to have a positive session after the tough midweek one.

Tues 10th Sept

Recovery 10.06k @ 6:14

Again a day late with the recovery run, which probably defeats the purpose. Heavy legged. Nice little swim and sauna afterwards in the gym.

Weds 11th Sept

Session day: Meno Plan calls for 10 miles (16.1k) @ MP (5:18).

I am a little paranoid about getting injured given my experience earlier this year so I am doing as much of my training as possible on grass along the Clontarf Seafront. Fine for shorter runs but tonight I bored myself to death by going up and down the 2.75km stretch like a yo-yo.

After a 3k warmup I clicked into marathon pace fairly automatically. Still feeling a little tender after Sunday's run (probably because of the hills on that one) but managed the session without much difficulty. Tried not to look to closely at the watch and looking at the data later the kilometre splits ranged from 5:06 (the last k) to 5:21. Average pace just a little under at 5:17, with average HR of 165 (84%). The last few kilometres felt a little forced but I think that was more out of boredom with the route than anything else.

3k warmup and 3k cooldown for a total tonight of 22.09.

WTD: 33k
    YTD: 1,516k

Sunday 15th Sept

7.4k @ 6:26

At a wedding this weekend with no opportunity for long run, which was postponed till tomorrow. Managed this little short canter from the hotel to the reception venue to pick up the car. Hungover so not a pleasant experience. However the other wedding guests we bumped into along the way were mightily impressed!

WTD: 40k
    YTD: 1,523k

Monday 16th Sept

29.04k @ 5:43 (2:46:05)

The scheduled long run calls for 18 miles, 8 of them at MP. Took off for the Phoenix Park from DCU on a blustery and chilly enough late-morning. The first two MP miles were mostly into a brisk headwind up the Royal Canal, so didn't hit the target there. The next two, in the Park, were grand. The third set, also in the park, were a little more challenging, while the final set, with a bit of a tailwind, were a bit more manageable.

8:56 8:52 8:30 8:30 8:40 8:36 8:37 8:32 (MP is 8:32/mile)

Altogether not a performance to write home about. But good to get it done after a not particularly healthy weekend.

Sounds ok to me Murph and your last mile was strong which is always a good sign, good work :)

Runchick wrote: »
    Sounds ok to me Murph and your last mile was strong which is always a good sign, good work :)

Ah you are too kind, RC. There's nothing like a downhill, downwind last MP mile!

• Advertisement

Weds 18th Sept.

16.13k @ 5:49 Avg HR 152 (74%)

Nice easy 16 k with a six or seven strides thrown in during the last 3-4k.

(I'm a strides newbie and had to look it up. Hopefully I got it right).

That's it now till the Race Series Half Marathon on Sat.

WTD: 45k
    YTD: 1,568k

Best of luck on Sat Murph :)

Thanks - have a good one yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Best of luck for Saturday Murph

Sat, Sept 21

Dublin Half Marathon (Race Series)

I’ve only done one Half to date – the really enjoyable Omagh event last March, where I went round in 1:46:25 and felt very strong at the end. So with the training going well at the moment, I was hoping to improve on that with a 1:45 or so. The Dublin Half would be my fifteenth race since May 2012, and after 14 PBs in a row, who wouldn’t be confident?

The missus and I arrived in good time and strolled to the line. It had been a grey, overcast and slightly chilly morning since we’d gotten up a few hours earlier and it looked like conditions would be perfect again, just like last month’s Frank Duffy. I obviously hadn’t heard the weather forecast.

The bag drop was very smooth and we warmed up with a slow kilometre or so up and down Chesterfield behind the corrals. Then we parted ways and I headed to the middle section where I introduced myself to menoscemo and Marthastew who were pacing 1:50. The gun went off so I settled in ahead of them and pulled away at 1:45 pace (4:58/k).

At least that was the idea. I immediately realised I’d forgotten my gels. Then the sun came out. Things might get a little hairy. At the 2-mile marker I got a stitch (the bane of my racing life this year) which lasted all the way to the 3-mile marker before subsiding. I felt like I slowed down a good bit here, but the Garmin data doesn’t really agree with that. So it looks like I ran it off without too much trouble. But I wasn’t feeling good at all.

1-5k splits
    4:52 4:53 5:11 5:05 5:00

Hung in a bit through the Castleknock side of the Park. I was a bit under the pace but not feeling this was because of taking it easy. Enjoyed the nice downhill section past Mount Sackville before re-entering the Park and grabbing the sports drink. Got some water too to pour over my head but dropped it. Dammit!

6-10k splits
    5:00 5:03 5:02 5:01 5:12

Through the halfway point which had a lovely canopy but no timing mat. A gateway to pain, methinks. The Lucozade gave me a little assistance through the next couple of k, but the stretch down Chesterfield felt very hot with little shade. Despite the long downhill grade I was struggling. But not the only one – passed a few walkers and at least one or two runners being attended to at the side of the road here. A minute or so off the pace leaving the Park for the Conyngham Rd. stretch. That meant bye bye 1:45:00, with the hills to come.

11-15k
    4:52 5:07 4:56 5:03 5:04

Back into the Park and the Military Rd. hill, which I’ve run dozens of times at this stage, felt worse than ever. This is where the race just started to get surreal, with dozens of runners walking up the hill. I exchanged HTFU-type comments with a lady in a pink Frank Duffy shirt. Then just past the summit, a fire engine and a slew of emergency vehicles. You know the rest. Then just past him, another guy on the side of the road in obvious distress, being attended to by yet another John’s Ambulance crew. On the uphill drag towards the Glen, more and more people seemed to be slowing, dropping to a walk, stopping with cramp. Meanwhile, the emergency vehicles seemed to be heading in all directions dealing with the distress. Unsettling. Really felt like walking myself at this point. The no-gel situation was really kicking in during the last couple of k but managed to keep running (just about) through the finish.

16-21.1k
    4:59 5:21 5:11 5:01 5:47 5:13 (0:56) (+2:39)

Strange feeling afterwards – just empty and tired. I hadn’t enjoyed the race – too much energy wasted worrying about the gels, the stitch, the discomfort in the heat, and the effect of seeing so many people – all runners of similar ability to me, given their timing – in trouble near the end. It was disquieting. Jogged back a bit of the course to find Mrs. M who also had a tough time out there. And then to discover afterwards that one of those guys had died – what can you say? RIP to the fallen runner. And I hope the other guys pulled through OK.

Not a good day.

PB: 1:46:25
    Target: 1:44:59
    Time: 1:47:39

WTD: 66k
    YTD: 1,589k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Nice.

Sounds like a tough day at the office Murph but seems to be the story of the day for so many, well done for toughing it out, eyes fixed on the big one now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Don't be too hard on yourself here Murph,you have to remember that you are still in the middle of a marathon training plan & at the end of the day The Marathon is gonna be your target race.
    The conditions on the day sound very similar to what we had for the Cork marathon earlier this year & again a lot of people struggled on the day to cope with the conditions.
    Keep the chin up,only a few more weeks hard work & then you can unleash yourself upon the Dublin Marathon;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

docjewel wrote: »
    Don't be too hard on yourself here Murph,you have to remember that you are still in the middle of a marathon training plan & at the end of the day The Marathon is gonna be your target race.
    The conditions on the day sound very similar to what we had for the Cork marathon earlier this year & again a lot of people struggled on the day to cope with the conditions.
    Keep the chin up,only a few more weeks hard work & then you can unleash yourself upon the Dublin Marathon;)

Agreed and even if you look at your half time yesterday, it still indicates a faster marathon than your last so still looking good.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Actually I'm happy enough now with the time given the conditions. It was just that the race felt like such a slog. I should have adjusted my expectations earlier but it felt like the weather changed in an instant, just after the start. Another learning experience, that's for sure.

Advertisement