Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plodder alert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Monday Sept 24

6.41k @ 6:34

A day late yet again with the recovery run, but a lot of yesterday was spent in Croke Park (does standing on the Hill for three and a half hours count as cross training?). Up the Dubs. :D

Tues Sept 25

6.76k @ 5.45

Trouble sleeping so got up early and out for a few easy kilometres in the mist and fog. Would have been lovely to have had those conditions on Sat.

WTD: 13k
    YTD: 1,605k

Thurs Sept 27

16.12k @ 5:17 (MP) in 1:25:04. Avg HR 170 (85%) (after 3.5k warmup and 3.3k cooldown)

Was good to get this one done successfully after last weekend's HM. Awful first few kilometers as I got a stitch immediately on assuming MP after the warmup (WTF - I seem to get a stitch every time I go out. Perhaps my paces are just too fast?). But settled down after a while and put in a steady set of miles in the Phoenix Park. Poignant moment running up the Military Road; flowers by the road where the runner died on Sat. I gave him a little salute. Banged out a 4:45 kilometer down the Royal Canal towards the end of the run to complete the evening with a 90-second negative split. Noticed later that the time was slightly better than my 10-mile PB of last year so progress is being made. Not sure if 5:18 MP will be sustainable on the day though. Is the stitch trying to tell me something? Might dial back to 3:50 which will drop the MP to 5:26 or so. We shall see.

Passed the 1,000-mile mark for the year to date too - another step up from 2012, when my total for the year was 1,200k.

WTD: 36k
    YTD: 1,628k

Sat 27 Sept

Parkrun St. Anne's 5k in 24:00

As St. Anne's Park is a local favourite of ours, we had to be there for the inaugural Parkrun. Lovely morning, quite warm, and about 250 people showed up. Very successful start, and I look forward to doing more of these.

Sun 28 Sept.

35k @ 6:00. Avg HR 156 (74%)

Headed out along the Liffey to Kilmainham and then followed the Dublin Marathon course pretty much all the way to the end. Wanted to get more of a feel for the terrain, especially the second half, which I barely remember from last year. Enjoyed most of the run, although it started to get old around Nutley Lane (just like the actual marathon!) Was pleasantly surprised by the shortness of "Heartbreak Hill" - it seemed much longer last year. Actually it's the long drag up Clonskeagh Rd that is probably the most sapping (there's actually some downhill relief before the notorious Roebuck hill). Glad to have done this - I think it will help me relax more on the day. Took a couple of gels but felt very tired at the end of this one. Been a long week.

WTD: 77k
    YTD: 1,669k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant weekend's running there Murph :D

Runchick wrote: »
    Brilliant weekend's running there Murph :D

Thanks Runchick - the old bones are feeling it I must say :o Glad you're on the mend and with London to look forward to as well. Cool.

• Advertisement

Tues 1 Oct
    5k @ 6:00

It was cold, wet and late. My desk is 100m from the gym. Treadmill time.

Weds 2 Oct

9.37k @ 6:07

Late home. Too late for this week's session so just an easy trot out to Dollymount in the dark. Lovely balmy night.

Thurs 3 Oct

Session time. 22.1k @ 5:39 avg.

This was supposed to be a 2-mile warmup, 10 miles alternating MP +/- 5%, 2 mile cooldown.

The complicated arithmethic got the better of me and I set up the slower miles correctly at 8:46 and the faster miles at 8:32 instead of 8:16 :P Needless to say I found the easy miles easy enough and the faster miles easy enough too! Oh well. That's why I hope to follow the pacers on the day.

8:45 8:40 8:44 8:30 8:41 8:28 8:46 8:35 8:32 8:06

At least it was a fast finish :)

This was all in the pissing rain so I was pleased enough with myself. The meno plan is really interesting to do - fair play to him.

WTD: 36k
    YTD: 1,705k

Sat 5 Oct

Easy 8k in Donegal with Mrs M.

Mon 7 Oct

35.13k in 3:18:17. (Easy/MP section here.)

Postponed the long run till today as I didn't feel like being 4 hours in the car after a 35k run. The "meno plan" calls for 20 miles with 2 mile cooldown. The 20 could be all at steady pace (MP+5%) or alternatively 10 easy (MP+10%) and 10 MP. I chose the latter option and set off on the same course as the last long run- i.e. through town to join the Dublin marathon course at Kilmainham Gaol and follow the course almost to the end before heading back across the Liffey to Dublin 3.

Target pace was 9:23 per mile for the easy 10 miles and 8:32 for the MP 10 miles.

Miles 1-10:

9:16 9:09 9:24 9:14 9:22 9:09 9:23 9:38 9:31 9:19
    Avg 9:20, Avg HR 152 (71%)

Miles 11-20:
    8:31 8:33 8:37 8:31 8:33 8:31 8:33 8:32 8:28 8:35
    Avg 8:32, Avg HR 172 (86%)

Pleased with that. Felt really good. The MP part got tough towards the end but this was partly due to having to weave through crowded pavements at lunchtime. Paced off the watch but tried to look at it less than usual. The MP felt natural - "tough but fair" :)

Now if only there was a 3:45 pacer on the day... :(

WTD: 75k
    YTD: 1,748k

Tue 8 Oct

50 mins recovery run - 7.51k.

Very heavy legged. I remember when I felt like this last year I used fear that I'd feel like this on marathon day. Never really tied it into having run relatively vast distances in recent days, slow chap that I sometimes am.

WTD: 7.5k
    YTD: 1,756k

Thurs 10 Oct

25.4k incorporating 23k @ marathon pace.

Great session after the leaden recovery run the other day. Had the watch on but it was dark and hard to see it so I tried to minimise the watch watching. Target was 5:18 /k (8:32 / mile).

Averaged 5:17 for the MP section so bang on. HR was pleasingly low for me at around 75%. Finished off with a very slow couple of k to cool down.

This felt great - nice to run at night with a bit of a chill in the air. It's been so warm lately and such a long summer that it seems almost all the running's been taking place in very warm conditions. Hopefully that will stand to us all on marathon day.

[On a side note, something very disturbing happened about 20k into the run when a bottle or glass landed a couple of feet away and smashed. I didn't stop completely but looking around, I couldn't see who had thrown it, although the positioning suggested it came from across the road where there is a bit of scrubby cover. I just kept running, but I couldn't help thinking what might have happened if the thing had landed on me. I'm just hoping that it wasn't deliberately thrown at me.]

WTD: 33k
    YTD: 1,781k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

You're flying Murph, keep yourself in one piece between now and the big day and you'll nail it.

• Advertisement

Sat 12 Oct

Recovery/easy 8k easy @ around 6:00

No watch tonight. Just a nice slow jog out to the Bull Wall and back. No bottles this time. :)

WTD: 41k
    YTD: 1,789k

Sun 13 Oct

25.81k@5:50

Nice easy run along the Tolka as far as Ashtown and then over to the Royal Canal and along that to Blanchardstown. Discovered a riverside park in Finglas-Glasnevin that I'd never seen before.

Two weeks to go to DCM. Everything feels good.

WTD: 67k
    YTD: 1,815k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

murphd77 wrote: »
    Sun 13 Oct

25.81k@5:50

Nice easy run along the Tolka as far as Ashtown and then over to the Royal Canal and along that to Blanchardstown. Discovered a riverside park in Finglas-Glasnevin that I'd never seen before.

Two weeks to go to DCM. Everything feels good.

WTD: 67k
    YTD: 1,815k

If that's the park im thinking of across from the Glasnever ind estate, I was walking through there with an ex years ago and he was mugged and assaulted. just sayin :pac:

Big Logger wrote: »
    If that's the park im thinking of across from the Glasnever ind estate, I was walking through there with an ex years ago and he was mugged and assaulted. just sayin :pac:

Ha! Well sure you can get mugged in the best places these days. Sure didn't I get a bottle thrown at me in Deep Torf last week? :D

Actually it wasn't that park (Tolka Valley), which I know well. The one I'm talking about is on the other side of the Finglas Road, behind Washerwoman's Hill (actually, technically it's probably part of Tolka Valley park. It follows the river for a couple of hundred yards and ends up behind the Botanic Gardens.

Mon 14 Oct

7.55k recovery @ 6:16

Another slow jog out the seafront.

WTD: 74k
    YTD: 1822k

Weds 16 Oct

16.11k @ 5:26 avg. (incorporating 13k@MP).

Meno's session for today specified 10 miles, 8 of them at MP. Headed out about 4:30 and right away I just felt awful. Absolutely horrible run. Heavy breathing, heavy legs, stitch - pretty much everything felt wrong. The only positive is that I managed to maintain MP but if it was supposed to feel easy, it certainly didn't.

Not going to dwell on this too long as I've had horrible runs before. But jebus, this one was the pits! Lack of sleep recently probably hasn't helped, and a poor daily hydration regime. Must turn that around.

WTD: 16k
    YTD: 1,838k

Thurs 17 Oct

7.5k @ 6:00 approx (no watch)

Another crappy run, although this one much slower than yesterday, which makes it harder to take. I got another stitch, which is ridiculous. Time for a few days off, methinks. I think I remember having a couple of days like this just before DCM 2012 too (or I could have been dreaming). Hopefully all is OK.

WTD:24k
    YTD:1,846

Sat 19 Oct

5k @ 5:24

Acted as Mrs. Murph's pacer at St Anne's parkrun today. Feeling much better with the nice steady pace. Really felt the urge to go faster but held back and helped the Missus to a parkrun PB.

Sun 20 Oct

19.44k @ 5:52

Last longish run of the current plan. Nice and easy. Still feeling good - worrying about the midweek sluggishness was obviously taper madness kicking in. Right knee a little sensitive towards the end of this one, hopefully just a twinge.

WTD: 55k
    YTD: 1,870k

Weds 23 Oct

8.01k @ 5:35 agv (5k@MP)

Final "session" of the meno plan, with 5k at marathon pace of 5:18. This felt grand, no problems and was able to slip into MP easily enough without looking much at the Garmin. Legs felt good - had a massage in Pearse St. on Monday where the physio had a good go at the calves and hamstrings and reassured me that they were in pretty good shape. The knee is a slight concern. No pain but I can feel the right kneecap for some reason. Think it will be OK.

WTD: 8k
    YTD: 1,878k

Sun 27 Oct

2.7k @ 5:48

Little leg loosener before the big one. Windy out there on the seafront!

• Advertisement

Monday 28 October

Dublin Marathon 2013

The build-up to DCM 2013 feels endless. I’ve tweaked a muscle in the lower back, and with a slight knee pain in the last couple of runs, I take it very easy in the final week. Just an easy 8k on Weds and 3k the day before the race. Try to concentrate on being relaxed, hydrated and properly fed. Haven’t been sleeping too well but that improves on the Friday and Saturday nights, so I wake up on Monday feeling fresh and have a good 6am breakfast of porridge and bagel. A cup of coffee does its magic and when I pull on the Boards shirt I’m at fighting weight and raring to go. Pin on the number, rub some Voltarol into the lower back and get a lift right to Merrion Sq. from Mrs. M. At the Davenport, a guy in full race gear is having a smoke. “That’s the way to do it, boy”, he says, catching my eye, but I don’t think so. The bag drop takes seconds, and I enjoy the atmosphere as I walk around to Baggot St. and enter the Wave One corral well before 8:30am. It’s not as cold as last year, and there’s plenty of room for a little warm up. The pacers stream in and I say hello to meno, who gives me some last minute advice. “You know what you’re doing”, he says, which is a great encouragement.

I drop to the back of the wave and finally, it’s on. I love to run through the city centre and try to soak up as much of the occasion as I can. The crowds are in fine form, my 8:32 pace seems ridiculously easy and before I know it I am high-fiving Mrs M and my sister at the turn onto North Circular Road. At Hanlon’s Corner, the sun comes out, something that seemed very unlikely 24 hours earlier. I chat to a guy wearing a vest that says “100 Marathon Club” but it turns out this is only his fourth. There’s no congestion – maybe a little too much room as we enter the park and feel the headwind up Chesterfield. One of my pins has come undone and is stabbing me in the stomach. I fix that and go through the 10k point bang on time at 53:09. So far so good.

Miles 1-6
    8:30 8:34 8:27 8:21 8:29 8:48

As we near the park exit I consider a pitstop but decide against it. The feeling soon passes. Great support outside Donore Harriers and through Chapelizod. On the bridge, I am passed by a guy dressed as Sonic The Hedgehog. For a hedgehog he’s going at a nice even 3:45 clip so I use him as my pacer for the next five miles or so – a good strategy as he’s getting a great reaction from the crowds. All well through Inchicore, SCR and Dolphins Barn and onto the Crumlin Road.

Miles 7-12
    8:24 8:23 8:19 8:33 8:29 8:39

As meno had warned, there’s a bit of headwind through Crumlin and Drimnagh so I lose a few seconds here but nothing to worry about. By the half-way point, I’m back on track and over the mat in 1:52:11. Huge crowds at the Walkinstown Roundabout. I hear the first of many “come on Boards” shouts somewhere around here. They all help. Sonic is starting to fade (don’t blame him, the suit looks uncomfortable and the sunshine isn’t doing him any favours), so I leave him behind. Soon I can hear shouts behind of “C’mon Batman” and for a few minutes I think I might have another costumed pacer but alas, the Caped Crusader never overtakes. By now, there are plenty of us at the same steady pace so it is relatively easy to settle in. I’m trying to be careful about not depending on the Garmin for pace so doing the arithmetic at the various mile markers is a good distraction as the legs start to tire. My lower right calf starts to ache slightly around Kimmage which is a slight worry. Lovely running though through KCR and down to Bushy Park. Through Terenure village, I spot Mick Dowling in the crowd; so another high five is in order. A respite from the noise through leafy Orwell Park but the legs are definitely protesting now. The downhill grade to the Dropping Well provides some welcome relief. I’m still more or less on time, but there’s nothing in the bank.

Miles 13-18
    8:51 8:38 8:30 8:39 8:23 8:26

Clonskeagh Road doesn’t feel too bad. I’ve been pacing myself for a while off a woman called Faye but she stops to fix her shoe. My right foot is starting to feel a bit funny - like it’s hitting the road at an angle. Calves getting sorer, quads fine, but hamstrings tightening a little. This section broke my sub-4 attempt last year, but this time, it feels much less difficult (although the Garmin data suggests I am definitely starting to fade). Through the 20 mile point about 25 seconds behind schedule. It will have to be some final 10k, but the downhill on Fosters doesn’t offer as much relief as it should. Then it’s into the wind again on the dual carriageway as we head for home. I pop a fifth and final gel at the end of Nutley Lane, and just about manage to keep it down. On Merrion Road, my least favourite part of the whole course for some reason, I just put the head down, eye the road, and try to keep it together. By now, it’s very tough indeed.

Miles 19-24
    8:42 9:03 8:50 8:38 8:48 9:00

I run with a guy in an Ironman shirt and his GF for a while but she’s struggling and I push on again at Shelbourne Road. The spirits lift a little. I know the Mrs is waiting on the bridge at Grand Canal St., and spot her from a way off. Lots of encouragement, but all I can manage to say is “I’m struggling”. By now the 3:45 is definitely gone but the crowds are amazing and somehow I manage to up the pace a bit for the last couple of miles. The crowds spill out into the middle of the road on Fenian Street and Westland Row, but Pearse St. and the stretch around Trinity feel endless. I try to stick with a guy called Sparky but he has a better kick than me and leaves me in the dust. On Nassau St. I try to relax a little and enjoy the atmosphere, which is really electric. I applaud the crowd as the finish line comes into view at last. Mrs M has made it over to Clare St. for a final shout – fair play to her. Over the line in 3:46:15 for a 16-min PB.

Miles 25-26.2
    8:40 8:40 (2:27)

Despite being a bit over target I am pleased with the fast(ish) finish. The atmosphere was terrific - even better than last year. I didn’t leave much out there, and was passing people consistently over the last eight or nine miles. The Merrion headwind made for a difficult finish, for me at least, and under the circumstances, the last 10k of 54:30 wasn’t too bad. So all told, a great day and a very satisfying PB – ample reward for a long year of solid training and great mentorship from menoscemo and all the “Class of 2012” group.

Headed into McGrattan’s for some very enjoyable pints indeed. Nice to meet up with some of the Boards crowd: Runchick, meno, MiketheMechanic, Woden, tomred, blockic and Killerz who I know from parkrun. (Apologies again for messing up the tokens on Saturday, Killian!)

Off to the West of Ireland now for a few days recovery. Will take a little break and think about what’s next: probably the Aware 10k in December, Raheny 5-mile again in Jan and think about a target for next year. But for now, I’ll enjoy the recovery.

Oh, and the fact that apparently my 3:46 equates to an age-adjusted 3:21. :D

Previous PB: 4:02:26
    Target: 3:45:00
    Time: 3:46:15

Sign of the day: Do It for Lou Reed (Nutley Lane).

WTD: 53k
    YTD: 1,923k

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Great report Murphd77 - enjoy the well earned R&R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nice one Murph well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Great report.Have yet to run further than 10k in a race but im seriously considering DCM 2014. Its like a bug that has bitten me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant report Murph, really enjoyed reading that. You should be very proud of what you have achieved in a short space of time :) It was great to meet Mrs Murph too - let her know that her enthusiasm for Parkrun has got me really wanting to do these now! Enjoy the break :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I'm still sorting those tokens. Some people take them home, others just mess them up! :rolleyes:

Great result - fair play. Only after putting two and two together now in terms of boards name and real name! Oh, stupid stupid me!

And I hadnt realised you were in McGrattans til we were chatting to you as you were on your way.... i was well on the sauce at that stage! Once again, living in my own little world!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Enjoyed that report . Well done on a great result. Hopefully when you've rested and I've recovered from injury we will bump into each other at a park run ( i'll remember to wear my boards t-shirt)or down at the club perhaps?

Runchick wrote: »
    Brilliant report Murph, really enjoyed reading that. You should be very proud of what you have achieved in a short space of time :) It was great to meet Mrs Murph too - let her know that her enthusiasm for Parkrun has got me really wanting to do these now! Enjoy the break :)

That's the spirit, A - you can easily fit a few parkruns into your schedule, either gently as part of a longer run, or for the odd speedy tune-up! Good luck with the London training.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Enjoyed that report . Well done on a great result. Hopefully when you've rested and I've recovered from injury we will bump into each other at a park run ( i'll remember to wear my boards t-shirt)or down at the club perhaps?

Yep - definitely going to pop down to the club in the next few weeks, and do a few more St. Anne's and Malahide parkruns before Christmas.

• Advertisement

Killerz wrote: »
    Great result - fair play. Only after putting two and two together now in terms of boards name and real name! Oh, stupid stupid me!

Ha ha, but you're being too hard on yourself. Murphys are ten a penny!

Advertisement