Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plodder alert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats on a great race and a super report, I really enjoyed it. Enjoy the recovery and I'll hopefully bump into you at a race soon. Well done again, fantastic PB.
    I didn't see the Lou Reed sign on the day, love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

6 Nov 2013

7.56k @ 6:13

11 Nov 2013

8.91k @ 5:46

16 Nov 2013

Parkrun St. Anne's

5k @ 4:28 (plus 4.18k warmup/cooldown)

Just the two easy runs since DCM so decided to test myself a bit more at the St. Anne's parkrun. Been depending on the watch too much this year so I tucked it up the sleeve and ran this by feel. Lousy night's sleep last night so I didn't think there was any chance of a PB but I wasn't far off with a 22:20 finish. First ever top 50 finish, and fourth in age category. Delighted with that (not that it's a race or anything). :rolleyes:

A lovely morning and a lovely run. Well done to Jamie (Killerz) and all the volunteers.

WTD:18k
    YTD: 1,949k

Been thinking about goals for 2014. Although I like doing shorter races I think the marathon is still where I want to focus most of the attention and so having just run 3:46 the goal has to be a good sub-3:40, I guess. How far below is the question. 3:30 would be great but would require a lot of discipline. 3:40 in 2014 would get me a Good For Age for Boston 2016; 3:30 would get me into 2015 but I'd have to do it before September (the Boston application date). Starting to feel like a chess player already, planning a few moves ahead.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what it takes to go from 3:46 to 3:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

murphd77 wrote: »
    Been thinking about goals for 2014. Although I like doing shorter races I think the marathon is still where I want to focus most of the attention and so having just run 3:46 the goal has to be a good sub-3:40, I guess. How far below is the question. 3:30 would be great but would require a lot of discipline. 3:40 in 2014 would get me a Good For Age for Boston 2016; 3:30 would get me into 2015 but I'd have to do it before September (the Boston application date). Starting to feel like a chess player already, planning a few moves ahead.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what it takes to go from 3:46 to 3:30?

Good stuff D. Best of luck with your endeavours. I'll probably be aiming for sub 3:50 in London and sub 3:40 would probably be my next target after that, assuming I was successful. So will read of your efforts with great interest.

Of course it could all just start going backwards. I remember the first time I broke 90 on the golf course and was looking forward to getting the handicap down to the low teens. Turned out that 88 was a one-off and the prospect of sucking less at golf was an illusion. Was good while it lasted though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Well done on the parkrun Murph. I would say a 3.30 marathon is well within your reach..you've breezed through the last 2 DCMs! Boston would be amazing, best of luck with it all :)

20 Nov 2013

11.81k @ 6:02

Had hoped to go down and meet some runners at the local club tonight but it didn't seem to be a good time at their end so went out by myself for a nice 12k or so on a lovely crisp wintery evening. First longish run for some time, felt good. Almost got lost in deep Edenmore but managed to find my way back to civilisation. :)

23 Nov 2013

Another Parkrun down at St. Anne's. Didn't plan this too far in advance so it was a toughish run considering I had just had a fairly decent breakfast less than an hour before the run. Felt great for the first lap but the temptation to slow down and walk on the second lap was almost overwhelming. Hung in there until the temptation vanished and the only negative about this run (we are not allowed use the word "race" in relation to Parkrun) was being passed by two women wearing giant headphones and a guy who didn't look particularly fit, all in the last kilmometer. Still, I'd passed a few myself so all told a time of 22:12, just 7 seconds outside my PB was a decent return. Definite gag-fest over the final 200m but managed to hold it in :)

25 Nov 2013

Pilates class, followed by 30mins treadmill run (5.2k). Treadmill running is not ideal but the main goal for today was the pilates, and the 'mill was handy with the limited time available. Enjoyed the pilates - I used to do this regularly but have not gone regularly for about 6 months. I was expecting it to be harder than it was and was thus encouraged by what appears to be a reasonably good level of core strength.

WTD: 5.2k
    YTD: 1,971k

Haven't run in 11 days now, since straining a back muscle. Not looking good for the Jingle Bells in the morning :(

Still, if there's any relief I'll go along and try to do it. Unlikely to be in PB form though.

Jeez, sorry to hear that. I've got constant battles with my own back so know what you're going through. Be careful with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Haven't run in 11 days now, since straining a back muscle. Not looking good for the Jingle Bells in the morning :(

Still, if there's any relief I'll go along and try to do it. Unlikely to be in PB form though.

Did ya run it Murph?

Runchick wrote: »
    Did ya run it Murph?

Unfortunately not. Tried a gentle jog a couple of hours beforehand but only succeeded in aggravating my back pain. So had to settle for being a spectator. Spending today on the couch :-(

How is the back coming along? Getting any treatment for it or just rest?

What exactly is the problem..just curious if you are having the same issue as me...ie lower back pain

Hi R - thanks for asking.

I've suffered from intermittent lower back pain for most of my adult life. But this is the first time it's flared up since I started running (and regular pilates classes) about two and a half years ago. Ironically, I'd done a pilates class for the first time in several months the day before this bout occurred, so possibly I overdid it (although it could be a coincidence).

I'm not sure what the problem is exactly. Went to the doctor the other day and he advised me to go to a physio (fair play to him). He felt it was probably a muscular rather than spinal issue and prescribed plenty of pain killers and anti-inflammatories (even some valium to help me sleep). So there's been some relief but it's still pretty painful.

Traditionally, these episodes have tended to right themselves after a week or ten days. But I'll probably visit the physio later in the week anyway - probably best to do this while the pain is still active!

What kind of pain do you have and how have you been dealing with it?

(By the way sorry I seem to have missed you in The Palace the other night. I didn't get in till late and couldn't stay all night - thought I'd said hello to most of the crowd but I must have missed one or two of ye!)

Hi R - thanks for asking.

I've suffered from intermittent lower back pain for most of my adult life. But this is the first time it's flared up since I started running (and regular pilates classes) about two and a half years ago. Ironically, I'd done a pilates class for the first time in several months the day before this bout occurred, so possibly I overdid it (although it could be a coincidence).

I'm not sure what the problem is exactly. Went to the doctor the other day and he advised me to go to a physio (fair play to him). He felt it was probably a muscular rather than spinal issue and prescribed plenty of pain killers and anti-inflammatories (even some valium to help me sleep). So there's been some relief but it's still pretty painful.

Traditionally, these episodes have tended to right themselves after a week or ten days. But I'll probably visit the physio later in the week anyway - probably best to do this while the pain is still active!

What kind of pain do you have and how have you been dealing with it?

(By the way sorry I seem to have missed you in The Palace the other night. I didn't get in till late and couldn't stay all night - thought I'd said hello to most of the crowd but I must have missed one or two of ye!)

Sounds like a carbon copy of my problem. Like you I've had lower back problems for a long time , probably since my twenties. It would flare up now and again especially after heavy lifting etc and take a similar period of 7-10 days to settle down and then I wouldnt have any problems for ages. I even remember putting it out when changing my first born's nappy once:D. Last December I was lifting the dog and his bed and when I went to put him down he moved suddenly and then so did my back and it hasn't really been the same since. Doctor diagnosed bulging disc a couple of weeks later when it flared up really bad and I was out of work for three weeks in January.Could barely walk the first few days. Saw physio in lead up to DCM as I was struggling with it. He said L3-L4 vertebrae definitely very stiff and was working on those. Physio I'm going to now is a big advocate of pilates and reckons the core classes I'm doing now should help but I still have issues with it. I reckon I'll have it forever and just will have to learn how to manage it a bit better.
    I'd say definitely get an opinion on it medical or physio wise. I had a weak core and glutes and that didn't help. Hope you can get it sorted soon.

Funny, I didn't realise you had made it into the Palace cos I can remember asking someone if you had made it in. I didt get in until 10 pm as got held up at work, but I did my best to catch up;) Very enjoyable night and good to meet a few new Boardsies. The next gig...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RedRunner wrote: »

Funny, I didn't realise you had made it into the Palace cos I can remember asking someone if you had made it in. I didt get in until 10 pm as got held up at work, but I did my best to catch up;) Very enjoyable night and good to meet a few new Boardsies. The next gig...

I am pretty sure you were both in the Palace at the same time...

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am pretty sure you were both in the Palace at the same time...

So am I but things started to get a little hazy late on:rolleyes:

RR, your back issue sounds very similar alright - I usually throw mine out by doing something very innocent, like tripping on a stair, or shifting awkwardly on the couch, something stupid like that. Will definitely try to see physio this week. Must compare notes sometime. Re The Palace, I was dividing time between the boards crowd up the front and the mrs and brother in law down the back who'd snagged a seat down the back and didn't want to budge, so that's probably how I missed you - don't think I met Cleanman either, or Ososlo. Next time...

Hope to be fit in time for the Raheny 5.

More than three weeks now without a run. I was just marvelling to myself earlier today that I was hardly missing the endorphins and the missus told me I've been a grumpy old f*^ker lately.

I'm feeling confident that things are on the mend. Pure speculation of course but one might as well be optimistic.

2013 recap

As 2013 was only my second full year of running, the modest PBs set in 2012 were all bested during the year, as would be expected. However it was a frustrating year with two periods of injury. Three weeks were lost in May, enough to derail plans to do the Cork marathon. Currently enduring the second period, sidelined with lower back pain / sciatica since Nov 26, ruling out the Jingle Bells 5k and Aware 10k that I’d hoped would end the year on a high note.

Still, there were plenty of highlights, beginning in January with the Raheny 5-mile. It was my first time at the distance, and 38:38 was a decent return. In early March there was the highly enjoyable Bundoran 10-mile, where I had a 4-minute PB. A few weeks later, with marathon training (Higdon Intermediate) in full swing, I made a HM debut at Omagh, where Runchick did a great job pacing me to 1:46:25 ;). Then the following week saw a 5k PB (22:05) at the Malahide parkrun. I may well have been overdoing things though, having to abandon a LSR a few weeks later with what turned out to be tendonitis. Bye bye Cork.

The second half of the year was all about preparing for Dublin and making up for the minor disappointment of not breaking four hours in my 2012 debut. Signed up for most of the Race Series and had another PB at the Irish Runner 5-Mile in June, although a poor finish meant the achievement was decidedly bittersweet. The Frank Duffy in August was a much better vibe – the PB came down another three minutes to 78 mins odd (10 miles seems to be my most successful distance so far). It was all looking good for the Dublin Half, but like many others I had a bad time in the heat and struggled home in 1:47:39 on a disastrous day. That was the end of a run of 13 consecutive PBs, but the day was all about the large numbers of people in trouble, including William Claffey who collapsed and died on the Military Road.

Then it was time for the main event, with menoscemo in the role of virtual coach to a small group of DCM 2012 graduates. A good few of us succumbed to injury in the final stages, but I was lucky enough to make it to the start line again and felt much stronger than last year, with vastly more miles under the belt. Although I was just outside the 3:45 target (alas, no pacers), I really enjoyed this one and nailed it with a 16-min PB, followed by many well deserved pints in McGrattan’s with the Boardsies. After a few weeks rest, the year ended with a couple of outings to St. Anne’s parkrun, before the current injury, which meant my final running-related act of the year involved token duty at St. Anne’s.

So all told, a very good year with some great memories. Good to meet a few of you at races throughout the year, and also at The Palace. The injury seems to be on the mend but I won’t be talking about 2014 plans at least until the physio gives the all clear.

Happy New Year!

2013 total: 1,971k

• Advertisement

Great review D. Hope the injury sorts itself out soon for you.

Sat Jan 18

5k@5:30

The back has been slowly healing of late so despite the physio's trepidation I decided to do the local parkrun at a nice easy pace. Legs a little sore afterwards; first run in 7 weeks.

WTD: 5k
    YTD: 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sat Jan 18

5k@5:30

The back has been slowly healing of late so despite the physio's trepidation I decided to do the local parkrun at a nice easy pace. Legs a little sore afterwards; first run in 7 weeks.

WTD: 5k
    YTD: 5k

Good to see you back Murph and glad to hear the back is improving. Nothing like some fresh air :)

Good man. Good to see you back running.

Thurs 6 Feb
    30 mins treadmill easy 4k

Fri 7 Feb
    30 mins treadmill easy 4k

Sat 8 Feb
    Parkrun St. Anne's 5k @5:16 (26:24)

Well finally got to the bottom of my recent injury having done an MRI last week. Turns out I have a herniated disk in lower back, which is definitely not good, but physio cleared me to run gently on soft surfaces with instructions to continue core strength exercises and pilates. So this week it felt good to do a couple of gentle runs on the treadmill during the course of some mild gym work / core exercises. And so this morning I felt it would be ok to do the local Parkrun, taking it handy on the first lap and stepping up a little on the second. Ran mostly on the grass alongside the tarmac paths but this wasn't particularly easy given the marshy state of some of the ground. Hopefully now I can continue to build up and contemplate some races in the second half of the year. But for now it's just a case of trying to take it easy, building up the miles again and not doing any more damage. :eek:

Would love to hear from anyone dealing with a similar diagnosis.

WTD: 13k
    YTD: 23k

Tue 11 Feb

5.1k @ 6:03 (Treadmill). Just trying to stay ticking over. Hate the treadmill though.

Sat 15 Feb

Parkrun St. Anne's. 5k @ 5:19. Took this a little easier than last week. Close to my old marathon pace but felt much harder than it did in Oct.

Sun 16 Feb

10k @ 6:04. Nice easy circuit of the Phoenix Park. First time running there since DCM, and longest run of the year so far. Glad to have done it, found it hard enough going.

WTD: 20k
    YTD: 43k

Good to see you are still running. How's the back these days?

Have been pain-free now for about a month. MRI shows L3-L4 disk protrusion, same as yourself I think. It's under control again, just have to be ultra careful and try to improve posture etc. Core work has to improve. So will return to pilates classes this coming week and try to run on grass as much as possible for now. Hard to do that though with all this waterlogging around.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Have been pain-free now for about a month. MRI shows L3-L4 disk protrusion, same as yourself I think. It's under control again, just have to be ultra careful and try to improve posture etc. Core work has to improve. So will return to pilates classes this coming week and try to run on grass as much as possible for now. Hard to do that though with all this waterlogging around.

Yes, same as me alright but I didnt get the confirmation of an MRI. The CORE work has definitely helped me and I'm more careful with my posture these days.Hope you see continued improvement.

• Advertisement

Took the plunge yesterday and signed up for Berlin (charity entry). So that's this year's marathon sorted out. Maybe a bit previous of me but you have to strike when the opportunity is there! So I'll just concentrate now on getting up to 50-60k a week by mid-May and take it from there.

Advertisement