Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plodder alert

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thurs 8 May

40 mins recovery (6.7k)

Signed up for the Terenure 5 mile the other day, which I'm looking forward to on Sunday week. Not sure what kind of shape I'm in for this kind of race really but I'll be having a go at the PB which stands at 38:03. My planned Berlin time suggests a 5 mile time of 37:26 so that'll be the "gold" time. Realistically though, I'm probably not in that kind of shape and I seem to struggle more with the shorter stuff so anything under 38:03 will do.

Any advice on what to do between now and then appreciated. I've run it by meno who suggests a 5-mile pace session on Sat (maybe a parkrun @ 5-mile pace) or alternatively just take it easy until Sunday week. I like the idea of the pace parkrun, then easy runs all next week.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Murph_D wrote: »
    Thurs 8 May

40 mins recovery (6.7k)

Signed up for the Terenure 5 mile the other day, which I'm looking forward to on Sunday week. Not sure what kind of shape I'm in for this kind of race really but I'll be having a go at the PB which stands at 38:03. My planned Berlin time suggests a 5 mile time of 37:26 so that'll be the "gold" time. Realistically though, I'm probably not in that kind of shape and I seem to struggle more with the shorter stuff so anything under 38:03 will do.

Any advice on what to do between now and then appreciated. I've run it by meno who suggests a 5-mile pace session on Sat (maybe a parkrun @ 5-mile pace) or alternatively just take it easy until Sunday week. I like the idea of the pace parkrun, then easy runs all next week.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

In Meno we trust ! Got me a 35min PB in London:)

Sounds like a good plan though.If you can do it for 3.1miles , 5 miles on race day should be doable after a week of easy running.

Sat 10 May

8.21 @ 5:33 Avg

Didn't do the parkrun this morning as planned; made my parkrun timekeeping debut instead in response to a late call for volunteers. Got out later in the day and did 3k @ 4:40 pace. Would have done more but gave up after turning back into wind and driving rain and just finished the run nice and easy.

Sun 11 May

8.1k @ 6:03

Had a look at the Giro d'Italia come through Clontarf and East Wall before getting out for a nice easy run, with a few strides thrown in for good measure.

WTD:41k
    YTD: 413k

Tues 13 May

Didn't get a run in today, due to various things getting in the way. Had a decent swim though (decent for me anyway- 500m or so). I'm taking a few swimming lessons and struggling. Breathing is far easier out of the water.

Weds 14 May

5.5k easy (treadmill).

Thurs 15 May

Another easy 8k or so around Ballymun/Whitehall/Glasnevin roads. Nice and easy runs this week, saving it for the race on Sunday.

Sat 17 May

St. Anne's Parkrun. Took this very easy indeed - 5k at 5:41 pace (just realised that was my MP in 2012.) Good to see RedRunner on funnel management duties, and Yaboya on the tokens, I think.

WTD:19k
    YTD: 432k

Sun 18 May

Terenure 5 Mile

Having decided to enter this relatively late, I found myself really looking forward to it over the past week or so. I've been doing regular park runs (though not racing them) and the little 5k at DCU a few weeks ago, but this would be the first proper event for me since last year's DCM, having had to drop out of the Jingle Bells and Raheny 5 Mile with injury.

I usually race alone but I persuaded a friend, BK, who's a bit faster than me over the shorter distances, to do this too, so it was nice to have a bit of company for a change. We arrived in good time and got in a few laps of the Terenure College grass "track" to warm up before heading over to the line. The area around the line was very congested indeed as there wasn't much of an effort to corral people into suitable starting positions. However we lined up between the 35 and 40 minute pacer balloons as we were both targeting a sub-38.

The start went smoothly enough, despite the congestion, and we were off down Templeogue Road in no time. I know this stretch fairly well from the Marathon so I knew it would be fast, downhill with a beautiful road surface. Our 4:45/k (7:39/mi) pace felt so comfortable that I wondered was the Garmin acting up. I was looking out for mile markers to cross check but I missed them all! The first lap continued up Terenure Road W, Fortfield and Wainsfort Roads, quite a bit of which seemed to be into a fresh enough breeze. Apart from a brief stitch around 4k, I felt comfortable throughout the first lap, which I was glad to see was the longer of the two circuits. BK was in good shape too as we started the second lap. Passed Mr. Stew here, who I'd met at the Palace last Christmas. He was shouting encouragement to all; good to see him looking so healthy :).

Hitting Terenure Road for the second time we were about 10 seconds ahead of the planned pace - ideal with the slight drag to come. I began to feel the effort a bit here. BK was a good source of encouragement here as the dry retching began around the 4-Mile mark. By the 7k point on Fortfield again I felt like I was beginning to fade badly. BK was pulling ahead but I managed to catch up with about 750m to go, although the road ahead looked endless with no line in sight. Just tried to hang on to the end. Passed Joe again with about 400m to go (he seemed to be popping up all over the place). A quick glance at the watch suggested the time was OK and as the line finally came into view with the clock still under 38 mins this was confirmed. Couldn't match BK's sprint to the line and got passed by a few people in the final 200m but managed to stay upright and wave to Mrs. M and the boys who'd found a good vantage point just short of the line, before practically falling over it, feeling satisfyingly spent.

Said hello to Marthastew and Yaboya in the finish area. Picked up the various knickknacks (you can never have enough keyrings or pens :p) before bumping into PM who'd had a significant PB. Well done to all.

Kilometers 1-8

4:43 4:39 4:45 4:49 4:43 4:42 4:42 4:42 (:05)

So I wasn't slowing up towards the end, it was just that BK was speeding up. Happy with that pacing - an even split as far as I can tell, possibly a tiny negative. Garmin data here.

Previous PB: 38:03
    Target: sub-38
    Chip time: 37:50

(411th position, 332nd male, 19th in M50 Category :pac:)

WTD: 28k
    YTD: 441k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great running D. Well done on digging in over the final km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great running Murph_D, well done on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Congrats Murph, brilliant pb!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great running Murph.
    Nice report too.
    See you soon in St Anne's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant running Murph, well done, nice PB :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good running D. Nice PB to kick off your racing year. What's next up for you?

Thanks M. Next up is a few of the race series events - I'll probably do the Irish Runner 5 Mile next month, the Fingal 10k in July, the Frank Duffy 10 Mile in August, all in the build-up to Berlin in Sept. Would like to squeeze in a HM sometime in August but that might be a bit much along with the Frank Duffy - what do you think?

And of course will be doing plenty of nice gentle parkruns on Saturdays, hopefully!

I will be on very similar race schedule myself in the run up to Berlin. Although I am away for the Fingal 10K so looking at Portarlington Half the week before as a progress checker. Another good half would be nice but I think with the timing I am just going to give the Frank Duffy a good go and then run the Dublin Half as my last LSR before Berlin with a couple MP miles thrown in, that being said I won't rule out the Rock n Roll if I am around over the long weekend in August.

.......and of course plenty of sociable parkruns over the summer with the odd blow-out one. See you there.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I will be on very similar race schedule myself in the run up to Berlin.

Just discovered your log there recently and that you're doing Berlin - will be following your progress with interest (although my own goals are more modest)!

Interesting what you say about the HMs - the Rock n Roll might be my best option too (although I'm loathe to hand over the cash to that crowd). The Race Series half as an LSR is an interesting idea too, hadn't thought about doing it that way.

Just discovered your log there recently and that you're doing Berlin - will be following your progress with interest (although my own goals are more modest)!

My own goals may turn out to be a little too lofty but as my kids keep telling me YOLO:pac:

That's me on the right. The dry retching had stopped but I'm looking far too comfortable, really. Marthastew's finish was much more impressive.

10352604_759943107391650_8781127714171297168_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Hope this isn’t in the wrong thread. Sorry in advance if it is. Just looking for some advice. Running the rock n roll half this year on the August bank holiday and am wondering if i would have enough time from then to run the marathon in October if i wanted to go for it then. Currently following the 12 week HH half marathon novices plan. Please and thanks.

Hi Rafa - you'd be better off starting a new thread in the general Athletics/Running area for specific advice on this. The two events are 12 weeks apart so you'd probably be OK in sticking to your HM plan then moving to week 6 or so of an equivalent Marathon plan. But why don't you join the 2014 DCM Mentored Novices thread for some feedback, if you haven't already?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Hi Rafa - you'd be better off starting a new thread in the general Athletics/Running area for specific advice on this. The two events are 12 weeks apart so you'd probably be OK in sticking to your HM plan then moving to week 6 or so of an equivalent Marathon plan. But why don't you join the 2014 DCM Mentored Novices thread for some feedback, if you haven't already?

Many thanks. I will join that thread thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

That's me on the right. The dry retching had stopped but I'm looking far too comfortable, really. Marthastew's finish was much more impressive.

10352604_759943107391650_8781127714171297168_n.jpg

Congrats on the PB Murph, Mr S and I were delighted to see you back racing again. You are looking very comfortable in that photo; a great way to finish a race, strong and confident. Dunboyne next week?;);)

My photo on the other hand..... There were 3 ladies right behind me and I was chasing someone up ahead. Harry (the really sweet older man who is at the finish line at so many races) was once again by my side to make sure I was ok after I finished, I'm delighted to report I managed to keep my breakfast down;)

• Advertisement

Marthastew wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB Murph, Mr S and I were delighted to see you back racing again. You are looking very comfortable in that photo; a great way to finish a race, strong and confident. Dunboyne next week?;);)

My photo on the other hand..... There were 3 ladies right behind me and I was chasing someone up ahead. Harry (the really sweet older man who is at the finish line at so many races) was once again by my side to make sure I was ok after I finished, I'm delighted to report I managed to keep my breakfast down;)

It's a brilliant pic - you certainly look like you left nothing out there (including any of your breakfast). :pac: I see you came first in your category (again) - well done on that.

Won't be at Dunboyne - no more events for me till the Race Series probably, that's starting soon enough. Best of luck though!

Weds 21 May

5.5k easy

Took an extra day's rest after the weekend's exertions (can't be too careful these days). Lovely to get out late in the evening for a change - about 8:30pm on a balmy evening along the seafront. The city and the mountains were only lookin' magnificent.

Thurs 22 May

Session: 10k@MP session MP - 5:10/k (8:16/mi)

Well I pulled this from the meno marathon plan, the first few weeks of which I've been loosely following for the past month or so. Wasn't sure how it would go. Headed out after work to the Royal Canal to warm up and did 5k out and back from Cross Guns Bridge, turning in Ashtown where I had to do a bit of a loop because the canal towpath was closed off due to surface laying. Splits:

5:07 5:06 5:12 5:19 5:13 5:29 5:15 5:09 4:56 4:41 (Avg 5:09)

Happy enough with that, was comfortable enough considering. Total with w/u and c/d: 15.3k

WTD: 21k
    YTD: 462k

Sun 25 May

26k LSR @ 5:59 (16.2 mi @ 9:38)

Took myself into town and out along the Dodder to Templeogue and back for this one. Last time I ran this route I had to abandon the LSR but this one was better. Athough my knowledge of the deep Southside is improving all the time, got a bit lost when I couldn't cross the river at the stepping stones near Bushy Park and ended up going around in circles for a bit looking for an alternative crossing before cutting through the park.

Marathon training for Berlin starts now.

WTD: 47K
    YTD: 488K

I've decided to retire this log and start a new one, BQ or Bust, which you will find here if you're interested. Thanks to all who've helped and encouraged so far! Cheers.

Advertisement