Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Cork

Options
  • 07-08-2013 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I am moving to Cork from the US in September, and am trying to figure out where good areas to live would be. I will be working at UCC, but do not want to live in student housing since I will be an employee not a student, and am almost 30. Additionally, I will not have a car for the first while that I am there, so I would want to be somewhere where I could easily walk/take a bus to UCC campus and also be near a grocery store. I am not sure what are the best areas to look for apartments, I know some people recommend just staying right in the city center, but if I could live somewhere further out for cheaper that would be convenient that would be good too I think. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Similar enough requirements to yours here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056988450

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

which part of UCC will you work in? The campus is large enough and some buildings are farther from the main campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

cara22 wrote: »
    Hi, I am moving to Cork from the US in September, and am trying to figure out where good areas to live would be. I will be working at UCC, but do not want to live in student housing since I will be an employee not a student, and am almost 30. Additionally, I will not have a car for the first while that I am there, so I would want to be somewhere where I could easily walk/take a bus to UCC campus and also be near a grocery store. I am not sure what are the best areas to look for apartments, I know some people recommend just staying right in the city center, but if I could live somewhere further out for cheaper that would be convenient that would be good too I think. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Contact the Accomodation Office in UCC http://www.ucc.ie/asa/ they look after staff as well as Students. Cork including its suburbs is very small. As a general rule staying south of the river is best. There are lovely apartments near UCC. Also a good site to look at is www.daft.ie

There are some nice properties around the lough, and in Deerpark very close to UCC.

While the following is on the expencive side it is right next to UCC http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1360114

Also expencive but the best apartments in the City about a 15 min walk to auCC but in the city centre 5 min walk to main shopping street, http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1366432

Also excellent apartments, 10 min to UCC right in heart if city nice one bed which are rare in Cork, http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1367892

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

cara22 wrote: »

While you don't have a car - Go Car might be an option for doing shopping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I second Deerpark - it's about 10-15 mins walk to UCC.

The houses and estate are nice and rents are low.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

evilivor wrote: »

I'm not sure GoCar will accept a US licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

OP if I was working there I'd get an apartment in the city centre

Especially until you get a better feel for the city

A fast walker would be at the front gates of UCC in 15mins from Patrick's Street in the city centre
    and you'd get to avoid the traffic chaos in morning and evenings on Washington Street which is part of the route for the two buses servicing UCC.

Best all round for socializing, spending time off and general exploring

evilivor wrote: »

They don't work out much cheaper than a taxi once the fees are added in, especially if it's only for a weekly shop.

Set up fee, monthly fee, €1000 excess if you don't pay a €100 yearly waiver, possible penalty fee for late returns

Plus it would be a pretty daunting experience for someone used to driving on the other side of the road to come here and attempt to traverse the much narrower streets and carparks

I once had a loan of a LHD Audi A3 for a few days around the city and found even simple things like judging parking spaces proved to be a nerve wrecking experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

infosys wrote: »
    I'm not sure GoCar will accept a US licence.

GoCar will accept a US licence

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

The area around UCC itself is mostly student houses/apartments so probably not recommended if you are not a student.

If you want to live outside the city centre, The Lough and Turners Cross are nice and near UCC. Slightly further out; Douglas Road/South Douglas Road, Ballinlough Road are all 15-20 minute cycle from UCC, close to town and well served by bus routes. These are very nice areas to live and there are plenty of shops around.

Wilton and Bishopstown are both (fairly) near UCC and good areas but personally I find them a little soulless.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

You still could think of house-share with other professionals, as new to the city living on your own could be a hard adjustment to make, other house mates would know local area/services/safety and also cut down on bills. You'ld will be better within a short walking/cycling distance.
    Worth thinking about, other things, if your into jogging as some great areas to jog/cycle (Blackrock-road area lovely place but 25min walk 15min cycle -UCC), or into quite peacefull areas or to be near nightspots.

• Advertisement
Advertisement