Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to New York to nurse

Options
  • 07-08-2013 5:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I'm just beginning my final year of nursing training and like many newly qualified nurses I'm looking for the quickest exit route out of the country.

I have always enjoyed American culture and have been there on many occasions on holiday.

I know there are exams that you need to do in order to get a job though. If I'm correct there is one exam you must do in order to gain a visa that covers English and nursing knowledge and a second that is required to gain a licence to practice that is state specific.

As I mentioned above I want to move to New York. Not specifically manhattan but somewhere in the surrounding areas.

I was wondering if anyone had moved from Ireland to NY and what these exams were like? What topics are covered? How difficult etc?

Secondly I was wondering if finding a job in a hospital is easy? Would I need experience of 6months to a year before I will be able to find a job? What are the working conditions like? And what kind of salary is offered on average?

If anyone could answer any of these questions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You might be able to go on the 1 year graduate visa? Other than that apply for a greencard/lottery...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

king909 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just beginning my final year of nursing training and like many newly qualified nurses I'm looking for the quickest exit route out of the country.

I have always enjoyed American culture and have been there on many occasions on holiday.

I know there are exams that you need to do in order to get a job though. If I'm correct there is one exam you must do in order to gain a visa that covers English and nursing knowledge and a second that is required to gain a licence to practice that is state specific.

As I mentioned above I want to move to New York. Not specifically manhattan but somewhere in the surrounding areas.

I was wondering if anyone had moved from Ireland to NY and what these exams were like? What topics are covered? How difficult etc?

Secondly I was wondering if finding a job in a hospital is easy? Would I need experience of 6months to a year before I will be able to find a job? What are the working conditions like? And what kind of salary is offered on average?

If anyone could answer any of these questions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Each state has a boards exam, some accept the same testl. Some do the same test with different scores required. I would look into getting your test done before or shortly after you come over. I know there is a shortage in some area. There is a specific nursing visa (H1c) that you can apply for. I am not surein the 1 year visa applies to health workers but check with sponsor companies.

Advertisement