Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card debt in oz!!

Options
  • 07-08-2013 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm moving home in about a month after 3 years in oz! I owe roughly 6000 on my credit card! As my credit rating in oz doesn't affect my rating in Ireland I have to say I am thinking about not paying it off!
    Before I decide I want to know will the card provider (NAB) search for me in Ireland to try and recoup the money, in other words can the debt follow me to Ireland from oz bearing in mind I no I will never be coming back!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

are you coming home to work in the banking system ???? with that attitude "I am thinking about not paying it off" you would fit right in. and if it is your attitude, i really do hope that your rating will be affect, no matter there in the world you would go.
    YOU have a really low life attitude to other peoples money that YOU have borrows, and YOU have spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

No one will help you do anything illegal but i don't think i'm facilitating when i tell you that NAB own banks in the UK, who's to say they won't buy out one of the irish zombie banks. Besides the credit card companies are international, i'd imagine it's the credit card provider that can chase you to ireland. I'd get legel advise before doing anything rash, you might be able to work out a settlement rather than involving the law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

NAB will sell the debt to a debt collection agency and they will then pursue you by legal means in Ireland. What ever about the morals of this is it worth the risk of a bad credit rating?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

its official everyone now hates you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Smallprop

mad turnip wrote: »
    its official everyone now hates you.

Hates me because I built my own construction company from scratch 9 years ago and got screwed by a developer who has been in the papers in Ireland. The houses/units I done work in are now owned by Anglo who cannot sell. But the 62k I was left out of pocket doesn't matter?!
    Does 'everyone' hate me because I had to leave Ireland to earn a wage to pay all my suppliers and even my last apprentices redundancy?
    Or do they hate me because I sacrificed seeing the first two years of my daughters life to be forced abroad to keep a roof over my families head in Ireland?
    Or do they hate me because i played by the rules all along, payed every debt off I had to the cent and still ended up with Sfa? And maybe I want to say f::k you to all the people who turned what should have been the best years into the worst. They can bite me for €4000 if I decide.

You keep an eye out for your boss, he/she might catch you bluffing on the Internet when you should be working!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Smallprop wrote: »
    They can bite me for €4000 if I decide.
    in that case you don't need anyones opinion, you could talk to this guy
    JOE-DUFFY_caa28sh2.jpg
    Seriously consider doing a deal with the bank, Aussie banks are still in dreamland so they might do a good reduction.

smallprop, if you say "They can bite me for €4000 if I decide" that will make you no better then the people that screwed you. i can understand if you feel bitter, and i would to, but 2 wrong don’t make one right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Hates me because I built my own construction company from scratch 9 years ago and got screwed by a developer who has been in the papers in Ireland. The houses/units I done work in are now owned by Anglo who cannot sell. But the 62k I was left out of pocket doesn't matter?!
    Does 'everyone' hate me because I had to leave Ireland to earn a wage to pay all my suppliers and even my last apprentices redundancy?
    Or do they hate me because I sacrificed seeing the first two years of my daughters life to be forced abroad to keep a roof over my families head in Ireland?
    Or do they hate me because i played by the rules all along, payed every debt off I had to the cent and still ended up with Sfa? And maybe I want to say f::k you to all the people who turned what should have been the best years into the worst. They can bite me for €4000 if I decide.

You keep an eye out for your boss, he/she might catch you bluffing on the Internet when you should be working!!

Wow ... Bitter much? Lots of people were screwed over but the fact is you managed to spend $6k of an Australian banks money, morally you should pay it back.

Legally you should also pay it back as they can and will chase you for the debt. How do I know? A friend in the UK is currently being chased for just $1k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

OP sorry to hear about what happened you in Ireland but to do a runner with the credit card debt is a fairly scumbag thing to do. My advice would be ring NAB and try to come to some other arrangement. If you do decide to do a runner, I hope you get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

To be fair to the OP he did start his own construction company...in a country at a time when a monkey could of run a construction company.

You can dicky it up anyway you want with your bullsh1t sob story, you were sucked into a redundant construction deal that went sour, that to me is your own fault, greed played

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

GUESS WHAT A lot of people are in the same boat you are and are trying to pay what they can and not try to take the easy way out. You built a compay fair play but that sob story does not give you a free pass. Someone screwed you over as you said how did it make you feel. Now you want to screw someone else (who cares there a big company hey).

Its people like you with your attitude that is screwing this country I love so well. I hope the credit card company can and will get you. I would love to say what I think of you but that will get me a ban. I will play the worlds smallest violin for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

OP - what worries me most here is that if Ireland does somehow manage to overcome its current problems and get back on an even footing, Australia is full of the likes of you just waiting to come back and screw it up again.

**Edit - obviously not a reference to all Irish in Oz, just some!**

just a quick question to smallprop. then (if you are comming back) what are you going to do, make a new company ? or right into the dole Q?
    reason for asking this question is not to have a go at you, but there is not a lot of jobs going around for the moment here in ireland. and it is 3 years ago sins you left, i can understand that you are missing your 2 year old daughter, would it not be just as easy to take them over to you, or is the credit company after you, so you have to go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I'm moving home in about a month after 3 years in oz! I owe roughly 6000 on my credit card! As my credit rating in oz doesn't affect my rating in Ireland I have to say I am thinking about not paying it off!
    Before I decide I want to know will the card provider (NAB) search for me in Ireland to try and recoup the money, in other words can the debt follow me to Ireland from oz bearing in mind I no I will never be coming back!!

Credit card is probably not owned by the bank. They will be a facilitator for an international card company, such as VISA and they will be able to follow you for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

They hate you because you are coming onto a forum asking "can I rob money"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sadly Op the posters are right if anyone came on telling you would be fine I would delete the post. If you want to abscond so be it just remember banks have long memories.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement