Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying different .22 rounds.

Options
  • 07-08-2013 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

Last nite I tryed a couple of different rounds through the .22.

Now my question is should I be letting some rounds of first befor I group them or can I put in say Winchester for a 3 shot group then straight into cci 3shot group and so on.

Or should I fire a couple of fowlers first to change over between the ammo.

Cheers guys

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If it were me i'd do the following;
    1. Clean the rifle. Doesn't matter how much or how well just clean it to a certain standard.
    2. Fire 3-5 fouling shots.
    3. Fire 5 grouping shots.
    4. Clean the rifle in the exact same manner as you done before. No better or worse.
    5. Fire 3-5 fouling shots of the next brand.
    6. Fire 5 shots for grouping.
    7. Repeat steps 1-3 for each brand.

This way you are giving the rifle and ammo the exact same conditions for each brand/batch. The results will be more accurate/reliable.

Takes a little more time, but definitely worth the effort to get the best possible results.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I never thought of doing it like that to be honest.

Cheers doe cause when you say it. It makes sense and infairness the rifle shoots well clean so I'd like to keep it as clean as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Last nite I tryed a couple of different rounds through the .22.

Now my question is should I be letting some rounds of first befor I group them or can I put in say Winchester for a 3 shot group then straight into cci 3shot group and so on.

Or should I fire a couple of fowlers first to change over between the ammo.

Cheers guys

Was thinking the same myself after buying the Yellow Jackets on Saturday, and the Gun I am using, I always CCI Standards but am going to try HV's but do I use the Mod with all rounds or will it be affected with it off.

Well we all know at this stage mods increase velocity how much on a 22 I couldn't say. But I have found the stingers a little bit more accurate out if the new cz with the mod on. Is it the mod or rifle I'm not sure but there groups.

You will have to check zero when you change rounds and take mod on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Tawny Owl wrote: »
    Was thinking the same myself after buying the Yellow Jackets on Saturday, and the Gun I am using, I always CCI Standards but am going to try HV's but do I use the Mod with all rounds or will it be affected with it off.

I don't have a mod but in my cz 452 the yellow jacket HYPER velocity group at 50 yards in 1 hole on a 3 shot group while the stingers are 3 separate holes within an inch. Just thought you might like to try them.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

3 shot group
    3 shot group

I'd recommend that you go beyond 3 shot groups. It's just not enough shots to give you good data about different rounds.

Obviously, if the shots are all over the place after 3 then you can give up and try another brand/batch but if they're all touching after 3 you should continue shooting. You'd be surprised at how many rounds will give you an eight or nine round single small hole and one or two really bad fliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well we all know at this stage mods increase velocity

No, they don't. A mod does not at any stage contact the bullet (unless something has gone wildly tits up) so has neither a positive nor negative effect on velocity.

Also, I'd agree with Conor. I'd fire about five fouling shots when testing ammo before looking at a group, and then with a .22 I'd be firing ten shot groups. .22 ammo is cheap, so while with a centrefire I'd be looking for results from three or five shots, I'm going to spend the extra with a rimfire.

I was full sure Full sure I seen the same discussion about mods and velocity on here not so long ago can't find it now doe. I thought it said they can increase velocity and I was only told it the other day aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I was full sure Full sure I seen the same discussion about mods and velocity on here not so long ago can't find it now doe. I thought it said they can increase velocity and I was only told it the other day aswell.

Yeah, but realistically, how could they? They don't have any influence on the bullet any more than air does at that point.

Yeah, but realistically, how could they? They don't have any influence on the bullet any more than air does at that point.

Would it have anything to do with how the gas's escape the barrel or that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement