Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Outlook Verifying account

Options
  • 07-08-2013 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Hi

This morning when trying to get into my hotmail account, I can't log in, it says "it looks as though someone else has been trying to use your account, to verify that you are the only one to get into your account we need you to verify all your information". It then asks me for my personal information including a new email address they can contact me at, and my date of birth, passwords I have used in the past and subjects of some of my emails, and also billing information (what the hell would they need billing information from me for?) This doesn't feel right to me. I won't fill it in until I know more. Can anyone give any advice, is there an Outlook help email address that I can email them a screenshot of this to?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sounds suspicious. Do you have a link or screenshot? You can use the Snipping Tool from your start menu/app search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I believe its legit,I read some threads on another site about it...

Microsoft has become quite intrusive! (Its quite scary)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Wouldn't worry about it. A "billing address" is the US equivalent of your home address. As long as you are not asked for CC or bank details you are golden. It's just MS tightening their security policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I could see where if you have an older account you don't have newer security measures in place. virtually all companies are moving to mandatory 2-step verification processes. Google accounts for instance require an authenticator code (like Battlenet, which was among the first to do so, optionally) which verifies you are you and not a remote hacker with your username and password. Hotmail/Outlook are becoming similar, the account creation process is kind of a pain for anyone beside the account holder. Installing Office for instance now requires either email or phone 2-step verification.

It can't all be blamed on anti-piracy, either, though thats one benefit to these companies. The real problem is everyone has been getting hacked. It doesn't matter if you're a message board, a gaming website/service, the department of defense or a water treatment facility. Its the changing nature of internet security.

You have to consider OP the possibility that your account was indeed compromised. If you use the same password or similar username etc. on other sites that might have been compromised in the past, its very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Babooshka wrote: »
    Hi

This morning when trying to get into my hotmail account, I can't log in, it says "it looks as though someone else has been trying to use your account, to verify that you are the only one to get into your account we need you to verify all your information".

got that few times, its not legit, you click the link on the page and it will take you to to a dummy webpage (that looks pretty real), where you'll end up passing off your info to the scammers.

Never click the Link on the mail, if your unsure that you've been compromised, open a new page and google your way to hotmail and change your password.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

johndoe99 wrote: »
    got that few times, its not legit, you click the link on the page and it will take you to to a dummy webpage (that looks pretty real), where you'll end up passing off your info to the scammers.

Never click the Link on the mail, if your unsure that you've been compromised, open a new page and google your way to hotmail and change your password.

Thank you al for the replies. I did some more investigating after posting the question, and in fact, it turned out to be legit. It was asking for Xbox billing details (something to do with having an Xbox account) but I don't have one it was only in those circumstances. I found the microsoft help page about it all, was able to reset my password etc. But it does ask you for very personal questions etc like the last few email subjects you sent and email addresses of your contacts etc, which luckily I could remember some of.

The first time I tried to do it, it emailed back an automated email saying "you haven't supplied sifficient information to verify your details". I tried a second time and it sent another automated email saying congratulations you have managed to verify that it's you....it must all be based on word association though because it couldn't be a human sending the verification emails, they came too fast, they were automatic. I have sent on all my emails to a different account in case it happens again. Scary stuff! Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Hi,
    Go through legal verification process become a safe approach for your Outlook account in upcoming days. Once verification is completed, you would be able to avoid these erratic behaviors.

Regards:
    Jane

Advertisement