Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Campsites in the South East of Ireland?

Options
  • 07-08-2013 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend some campsites in the South East of Ireland - say Waterford, Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny, South Tipperary?

The weather is supposedly better there!

Preferably some sites close to beaches, forest cycle trails, walks, other amenities, lots for kids to do, etc. and not wild camping sites. And if you've stayed on a site all the better - as opposed to hearing/reading that its a good site.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Treegrove in Kilkenny is one of our favourite sites - Not far from the River Walk into the town, and the Castle Park which has a great playground for children. Our 4 and 5 year old (and last year when they were 3 and 4) walked into the town from there with not much moaning. This year we did the river walk on bikes too.

There's a mobile home place in Duncannon, which is right on the beach (not the best beach, but grand). You can walk up the beach or road to the village, and there's family friendly pubs and the fort. There's rock pools on the beach too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Treegrove in Kilkenny is one of our favourite sites - Not far from the River Walk into the town, and the Castle Park which has a great playground for children. Our 4 and 5 year old (and last year when they were 3 and 4) walked into the town from there with not much moaning. This year we did the river walk on bikes too.

There's a mobile home place in Duncannon, which is right on the beach (not the best beach, but grand). You can walk up the beach or road to the village, and there's family friendly pubs and the fort. There's rock pools on the beach too.

+1 for treegrove, well thought out, lovely park

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Thanks for replies.

Anyone been to Parsons Green, Clogheen in South Tipperary? Facilities look good.

Or Morriscastle Strand, Kilmuckridge in Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Hidden Valley Rathdrum. Without a doubt its one of the best campsites in the country. Up there with UK standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Thanks, yeah Hidden Valley, Rathdrum looks good alright and hope to get there some time. But this time its a bit too far north of South East!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 boardlog

Check out dunmore holiday park, lovely park, only opened this year. great facilities. www.dunmoreholiday.ie
    newtown cove is a fine park also

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

Parsons Green is my kids favourite campsite, it is well run and has lots to do for kids regardless of weather as it has a big indoor playground. There is a great farm too, chip shop and shop.

Hidden Valley in Rathdrum is a good campsite but it is expensive and the guy who runs it is anal, for example he made kids stop cycling, roller skating etc at 9.00 on a sunny evening..anyway I digress.

Morriscastle is nice if the weather is good. It is very mush a beach campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Blagadan

Morriscastle is a great site but it can get very busy at peak season. They have top class on-site facilities and a beautiful beach just over the sand dunes. Very popular for young families. They have a no cycling policy which really bums my kids out, but I can see why they have it as there are a lot of blind corners where a kid could get hurt if flying around on their bike.
    Also - Trying to book a pitch in Morriscastle can be a challenge. You can be left quite a while (sometimes days) before they can confirm a booking for you. I never quite understood that... Maybe they have improved that this year? They are very good on continuous improvement, always seem to be building or upgrading the facilities there...

I would recommend this site.

Parsons green is a great site too.

I understand a lot of motorhome owners are boycotting the brand new Dunmore East campsite (Dunmore Holiday Park) due to the subsequent closure of the FREE Motorhome Parking area at the other side of Dunmore East... but I'm sure the new campsite will do well regardless. It certainly looks lovely on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Blagadan wrote: »
    Morriscastle is a great site but it can get very busy at peak season. They have top class on-site facilities and a beautiful beach just over the sand dunes. Very popular for young families. They have a no cycling policy which really bums my kids out, but I can see why they have it as there are a lot of blind corners where a kid could get hurt if flying around on their bike.
    Also - Trying to book a pitch in Morriscastle can be a challenge. You can be left quite a while (sometimes days) before they can confirm a booking for you. I never quite understood that... Maybe they have improved that this year? They are very good on continuous improvement, always seem to be building or upgrading the facilities there...

I would recommend this site.

Parsons green is a great site too.

I understand a lot of motorhome owners are boycotting the brand new Dunmore East campsite (Dunmore Holiday Park) due to the subsequent closure of the FREE Motorhome Parking area at the other side of Dunmore East... but I'm sure the new campsite will do well regardless. It certainly looks lovely on their website.

In a post the use of upper case letters indicates shouting. Does shouting the word free indicate great appreciation or disapproval of the provision of motorhome parking areas which are not subject to a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

One of the reasons it dropped off our radar was the messing over bookings and trying to get on site. It's a pity, as it was one of our favourite sites, and in the main the issues we had a few times on the phone are the reason we don't go there anymore - their policies on bookings seemed to change everytime we phoned (sometimes it was booking, sometimes it was 1st come 1st served!).

• Advertisement

niloc1951 wrote: »
    In a post the use of upper case letters indicates shouting. Does shouting the word free indicate great appreciation or disapproval of the provision of motorhome parking areas which are not subject to a charge.

Great appreciation of course.
    Free "anything" is appreciated these days.
    A free or low cost parking area for motorhomes is a sign of a town council with forward thinking as far as I'm concerned. There's a lot of motorhomes on the road these days. Irish people who choose to holiday at home and support local commerce... I'm not sure why Dunmore East choose to ignore them.

Great appreciation of course.
    Free "anything" is appreciated these days.
    A free or low cost parking area for motorhomes is a sign of a town council with forward thinking as far as I'm concerned. There's a lot of motorhomes on the road these days. Irish people who choose to holiday at home and support local commerce... I'm not sure why Dunmore East choose to ignore them.

Dunmore East did not choose to ignore the motorhome tourists who frequent their area, locals have always been very supportive and enjoyed the benifits acrewing to the local economy.
    The area used has been closed to motorhomes against the wishes of the local business community because of a complaint from a nearby camp-site operator.

Many locals from the harbour area of Dunmore East contributed positive comments about the benefits of the sector to their economy during local radio discussions following the announcement of the ban.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Dunmore East did not choose to ignore the motorhome tourists who frequent their area, locals have always been very supportive and enjoyed the benifits acrewing to the local economy.
    The area used has been closed to motorhomes against the wishes of the local business community because of a complaint from a nearby camp-site operator.

Many locals from the harbour area of Dunmore East contributed positive comments about the benefits of the sector to their economy during local radio discussions following the announcement of the ban.

Well if that's the case, the Dunmore East town council have left the community down.

Well if that's the case, the Dunmore East town council have left the community down.

No town council in Dunmore East. The dark deed was done by Dept. of Agriculture, Food and the Marine against the wishes of the locals.

See Trip Advisor for more

Advertisement