Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New business name registration

Options
  • 07-08-2013 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

I am planning to open a web based e-commerce business in the coming months, and have just checked on the CRO website that a name that I desire is taken.
    Could I register my company with the same name, but with an additional word like 'example Dublin', as opposed to just 'example' which is already registered?
    And if so, could I use the name 'example' in the logo, web name etc? Rather than putting in the full name registered with CRO.

Thanks & regards,
    V

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Is the name in actually use? If not they may sell it to you, there are lots of dormant buisiness names. If it is in use, Do they have a copyright or Trade Mark cliam on it? How would you feel if someone took and used your name? You might get away with it but if you did and they are in a similar business, they could sue you for "passing off" etc.

If you are not able to come up with your own unique/unused name, I would suggest you get proper legal advice, such legal advice is forbidden on this site.

Friendly advice: Dont do it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

It depends on the use

If you were opening a fast food restaurant and called it mcdonalds of ballydehob, it would not be allowed, howevre if you were opening a computer shop, you could call it McDonalds as there would be no confusion between that and McDonalds hamburgers.

So basically if the name you want to use could cause any confusion with a current registered name in terms of similar product / service it is unlikely you could use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nobodiez

The place that's currently using the name I had in mind is a Chinese fast food delivery service. They don't even have a website. I am planning to open an e-commerce business, it's hardly going to affect it. Also I've checked, there is a company with the same name somewhere in the states, so I don't think they have sole patent to use that name... Would I be right? At the end of the day, we are both small sized businesses, not conflicting/working with each other & in completely different industries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

nobodiez wrote: »
    Also I've checked, there is a company with the same name somewhere in the states,

A company in the states doesnt matter to the CRO unless they are registered here.

Have a look at the leaflet on names http://www.cro.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=89d353a6-c935-4db3-8274-fc846598590b

Advertisement