Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC BB Dublin 15 - Whats your DL speeds like ?

Options
  • 07-08-2013 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

looking for some feedback from members with a UPC BB connection specifically in the D15 area. I was recently upgraded to 100mb ( from 60) and ever since, my download speeds have been poor by comparison. Was regularly downloading at 4-6megs. Now down to less than 1, irrespective of where I download from. Tried several machines. Same result.

When I do a speedtst on either UPC or speedtest.net. Results will show close to full speed. However, if I go for large files, it lags horribly. Odd, or what ?

Throttling perhaps ?

Also, same speed through a cat5 connection.

Looking to establish if I'm alone on this one, or is it an issue for others in the area ?

Thanks to Chuck & Kev for replies on other thread !;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Find it to be inconsistent , sometimes full speeds and sometimes half speed or worse.

I'm on 150Meg download and can get full download speeds at times like this Steam download 6034073.

But most of the time it's just average , I'm in a heavy usage household with pc's / console's / Youtube / Netflix / Game Downloads with Steam and PSN etc... and most of the time when I run a speedtest the result will be around 75Meg down like this 6034073

Same with speedtest.net.

2886662956.png

Speedtests start off at around 110+ Megs but dial back to a steady 75 Meg straight away :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

2886780766.png

Find it to be pretty consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It's most likely the server(s) you are downloading from that are slow. Few servers will give a single user that much bandwidth.

I get almost max speed very consistently, but only with (legal) torrents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

On the 30Mb package and staying on it, the connection speed is rock solid and I don't want to give up my trusty Scientific Atlanta modem :pac:

2887107203.png

84743620.png

Had some issues this year for the first time ever, was lots of balancing going on in the area by K&N which affected my connection. UPC sales reps were trying to get me to go onto the faster speeds with the new (crap) modems but I told them I didn't want to, then they got all confused :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

oopps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Was upgraded to the Horizon 150mb package in the last month or so. Did a test tonight for the first time and got the below. I'm using TP-Link Powerline 200Mbps through a 30+ yr old house, but still expected better. Will connect directly to the box next time I have a chance and report back.

2887366123.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks for the replies folks. FWIW, I'm getting decent speeds too on speedtest.net and UPC's own test facility however the problem manifests itself when you actually download a large file.

Suspected dodgy servers initially but tested on large .iso files such as Ubuntu, amongst others. Also large driver files from the likes of the nvidia site. All downloads peak at no more han 1.5mbps

What speeds can you get when you download a big file from the links of ftp.heanet.ie? I just started downloaded a Linux distro there to check, I'm on the 30Mb and getting download speed below, 4.16 MB (not Mb!) per second.

ce621810e020dca1a8881457dbda1cf3.png

Arciphel wrote: »
    What speeds can you get when you download a big file from the links of ftp.heanet.ie? I just started downloaded a Linux distro there to check, I'm on the 30Mb and getting download speed below, 4.16 MB (not Mb!) per second.

ce621810e020dca1a8881457dbda1cf3.png
    Thats a great DL speed for 30mb. Are you sure thats all you are on Arc ? I'll check that link after work. Cheers ;)

dodzy wrote: »
    Thats a great DL speed for 30mb. Are you sure thats all you are on Arc ? I'll check that link after work. Cheers ;)

I'm sure yeah, that's why I am staying on it ;-)

here's my speed test result in case you missed it from earlier in the thread...

2887107203.png

• Advertisement

I'm sure yeah, that's why I am staying on it ;-)

here's my speed test result in case you missed it from earlier in the thread...

2887107203.png

Brill. In my case, I was upgraded to 60 from 50 initially; no consulation, just a gift, and I noticed the positive change in DL speeds. The next gift was a free 60 to 100 upgradd. Thats when my sh1t started. Never asked for either:mad:

I do remember that 30 was always rock solid. God only knows what possessed me initially to make the move to 50. No bloody reason at all. Just greed I suppose !

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Qwikpix

Brill. In my case, I was upgraded to 60 from 50 initially; no consulation, just a gift, and I noticed the positive change in DL speeds. The next gift was a free 60 to 100 upgradd. Thats when my sh1t started. Never asked for either:mad:

I do remember that 30 was always rock solid. God only knows what possessed me initially to make the move to 50. No bloody reason at all. Just greed I suppose !

The speed you get will also depend upon how modern your computer is. With a Dell i7 running Windows 8 I have rock solid UPC speeds as follows:

2898133486.png

Previously I was using a 7 yrs old Dell with Win XP and my speeds were about half to three-quarters of the speeds I get now on the same connection. Ping is always in the 8ms - 12ms range. Upload speed varies. It can be almost 10 Mb/s but generally it is around 8 Mb/s.

I use a cable connection rather than wireless. However, wireless speeds are always slower. Because I use fairly new equipment, I am satisfied that I am getting full use of whatever UPC signal comes down the pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Qwikpix wrote: »
    The speed you get will also depend upon how modern your computer is. With a Dell i7 running Windows 8 I have rock solid UPC speeds as follows:

2898133486.png

Previously I was using a 7 yrs old Dell with Win XP and my speeds were about half to three-quarters of the speeds I get now on the same connection. Ping is always in the 8ms - 12ms range. Upload speed varies. It can be almost 10 Mb/s but generally it is around 8 Mb/s.

I use a cable connection rather than wireless. However, wireless speeds are always slower. Because I use fairly new equipment, I am satisfied that I am getting full use of whatever UPC signal comes down the pipe.

Advertising that you have a Dell is like advertising that you have a lame mentally retarded dog. :P Not worth advertising. If you want modern/high end PC, then you really have to build it yourself or pay over the odds for a pre-built (Alienware).

You'd need to have a very slow CPU and HDD for the BB speeds to be affected.

Qwikpix wrote: »

You will see that I referred to DL speeds initially being higher than they are now ( in my case ) even though I'm on a faster connection. I'm using an old Dell studio 17" - I just swapped out the wireless card a couple of years ago to avail of higher speeds over wifi as I hate being tethered.

The laptop ain't the cause of the problems I am experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Qwikpix

You will see that I referred to DL speeds initially being higher than they are now ( in my case ) even though I'm on a faster connection. I'm using an old Dell studio 17" - I just swapped out the wireless card a couple of years ago to avail of higher speeds over wifi as I hate being tethered.

The laptop ain't the cause of the problems I am experiencing.

I've been using UPC for about 3 years and with my old PC running XT I also had the type of faster then slower connection that you describe. Suspect that was down to UPC capacity to provide a signal at the time. Effect was rather like the curate's egg, - it was good in places!

UPC in my area (Navan) seem to have their act together now and the service is rock solid (IMO). The gigabit ethernet (10/100/1000 Mbps) in the newer computer probably helps me now that my signal is stable - which only happened after a flurry of UPC activity in the area.

We'll I jinxed myself because my 30Mbps connection has been down all day! Ah UPC you giveth and you takerth away :-(

We'll I jinxed myself because my 30Mbps connection has been down all day! Ah UPC you giveth and you takerth away :-(
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I'm on 150 meg and generally its close enough to that as makes no difference.
    Hard enough to make use of 150 for me anyway.

Steam maxes it the odd time. I dont use torrents or usenet. Usenet probably would.

Advertisement