Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Puppy & Now a new RAT!!

Options
  • 07-08-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I got a new puppy on Sunday and I'm trying to house train him.

I was playing in the garden with him and I threw some food of for him to sniff out. he had great fun at it and so did I.

To day I seen a massive rat which seem to have come from the neighbours garden, although we also have a hedge row + field behind our house.

he was in the centre of the garden where we threw the food. I'm not gonna throw food again but I'm worried about letting my puppy out now.

i know rats are every where just we don't see them but I'm worried he will get infected or something.

i need to bring him out to house train him though.

we have gotten a pipe that our pup cant get into and put some poison in it beside where the rat is coming in.

Any advice please. I'm gonna keep my pup away from the pipe when we go out now but I'm worried about rat pee.

bc3912269293849.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I wouldn't worry, if I were you. The most danger the pup is in is from fleas from the rat, or from a bite if the encounter each other. What type of dog is it? Anything Jack Russell size or larger will have few problems dealing with a rat when it gets bigger.

I'd recommend getting a snap trap rather than the bait, and putting it in an old biscuit tin with some holes cut in the side big enough for the rat to get in. Poison can wind up where it's not wanted, and if anything were to scavange the poisoned rat; a dog, cat or bird of prey, they could be killed themselves. Snap traps also kill quickly and painlessly, although you do have to dispose of the corpse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Kylith, thats a brilliant suggestion viz the old biscuit tin with holes cut in it - Ive got hens and dogs so will be using this idea as soon as I find a biscuit tin (I know I have several - somewhere in the garage:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

aonb wrote: »
    Kylith, thats a brilliant suggestion viz the old biscuit tin with holes cut in it - Ive got hens and dogs so will be using this idea as soon as I find a biscuit tin (I know I have several - somewhere in the garage:rolleyes:)

You'll need a big one, or two bottoms taped together - rat traps are a lot bigger than mouse traps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Our cat brings home mice and baby rats to us and dog finishes them off. Even through she is the sweetest thing to human and could kiss you for hours. She will kill anything smaller than her

Advertisement