Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please on dowels

Options
  • 07-08-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

I'm making a 2 tier cake the bottom tier will be chocolate biscuit the second sponge. Would the chocolate biscuit be strong enough to support the sponge or should I use dowels just to be on the safe side?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've never made a tiered cake, but CBC is solid, so I can't imagine it wouldn't be strong enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Chocolate Biscuit Cake is very heavy usually. if you put the sponge under it, i'm sure it would get crushed. as long as the sponge cake is on top of the Chocolate biscuit cake you should be fine without dowels. Are you going to butter cream the cake and use fondant icing to cover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

If you're using sugarpaste icing you need to dowel it to protect the icing from squashing, not the cake. If it's only a little top tier and it's only for friends/family you could survive without the dowels, as in if it doesn't matter if the top tier sinks into the icing a bit.

If ever doing a top tier chocolate biscuit with dowels in a sponge/madeira cake underneath it would be fine, won't get crushed. A light fluffy sponge wouldn't be great inside sugarpaste though, too soft to hold the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

Thanks for the replies. I'm icing with sugarpaste. It is for family but if I leave it until the last minute to put the 2nd layer on it might be ok maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Madiller29

chocolate biscuit cake would definitely be strong enough to support it

• Advertisement
Advertisement