Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1987 Triathlon Champs

Options
  • 07-08-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EkrZ5xzj2ek

Anyone else completely disgusted with this video from TI?

Bare chests a plenty, no wetsuits, drafting common place throughout the field, and what appear to be hurley helmets worn on the bike. Scandalous behaviour. :rolleyes: :P

Edit to add mount line violations, cycling through transition, and surely a basin of water counts as marking your spot in transition!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Cyclists drafting behind the elite runners... shocking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Real Endurance stuff - you also have to watch Neighbours until submission!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

My uncle is in that vid, only recently found out that he had been involved in triathlon. Was telling me about the first all ireland championship, huge swell, storm like conditions and they didn't want to cancel it because of the numbers who turned up. Swim was an out and back swim, out to a fishing boat and then turn and back to shore, only when they were in the water they realised how bad it was (the next year the swim was along the coast because of it). Cycle was out to one of the lads car and then turn around. Bit different than what it's like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Anne Kearney features at the start too, that Caroline Kearney's mum. ( memorial race on this weekend in Mullingar)

Great link, thanks BTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Anne Kearney features at the start too, that Caroline Kearney's mum. ( memorial race on this weekend in Mullingar)

Didn't realise that. Impressive woman, running sub 90min off the bike in a HIM. At 37. How many round here can lay claim to a 4:35 half!!

You going to Mullingar this weekend? I'd love to be going again. Really enjoy that race and done it every year since it was my first Oly way back in 2010 :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭secman

great to look back at that video, i knew a good few names and faces, started doing NCF All Ireland in 1990, knew Ann Kearney well, may she rest in peace. Best time of 4:44 in 1996 when Dave Corcoran won in 4:14 i think , memory fading........... Sure it was even harder back then, no fancy bikes, wetsuits etc. must be a lot easier now........... !

All in a previous life.
    Cheers to who ever posted that clip

Secman

The lad having the flask of tea and scones in transition is brilliant :D

Some serious boys there with their fancy Lycra tri suits and wetsuits which were only introduced in that year too.

BTH - I'm missing CK this year too unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

I'd hate to see those transition times.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

My bro in law is in it- himself and a few of his buddies were serious enough into tri at the time, it was his second year I think he finished around 30 the year before
    THe whole thing has a lovely amateur feel about it but some of the times are serious enough- at one stage Hartmann seems to be dodging cars on the run,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I raced in that.:D
    Knew all the heads well, Anne Kearney RIP, Ger Hartmann and Joey Hannon RIP.
    No frills at the time. When you look at the bike that Ger was using at the time with a disc wheel and his aero helmet, the price was just prohibitive.
    Nowadays everybody has aerobars, trisuits and carbon bikes(they weren't even invented then)
    Great times and thank god I am still fit enough to do about 200-250km on the bike every week.
    I'm toying with the idea of maybe doing a sprint tri next year if I can get enough time to train for it.
    Thanks for posting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Niall Kavanagh from Trilogy is in it as well and is still going strong !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Jimmy McGee must have spent 10mins praising the Sligo countryside:)

Yes I'm still laughing at the guy with his tea and currant bun too. Everyone seemed to be
    meticulously drying themselves in T1

But I really enjoyed watching that. Anyone know of any more links to similar events?

Doubt the distances were accurate though, but who cared then

Swm - 21
    Off the bike in 2:49 (Bike 2:25 or so)
    Then finish in 3:59 (Run 1:09)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

This is from memory from an old clipping a read earlier in the year from a local newspaper so don't be asking for a link or anything :D

the first triathlon in sligo was in 1984 and it consisted of a run, bike and run for the simple reason that the organisers didn't think (probably rightly at the time) that there would be many able for the swim (no buoyancy suits back then). One of the run legs was up knocknarae which developed into the warriors run and the triathlon switched to a swim the next year. Loved the swagger of hartman, if he was a chocolate bar he'd eat himself! Very successful sports physical therapist in UL now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I actually have this on a video tape.. unfortunately I don't have a video player anymore.
    I would be willing to give it to someone to put it on a disc if anyone wants to do it just let me know.

Without the Neighbours :) as far as I can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great stuff. Nearly fell off my chair laughing at the fella with the tea and scone :D. Not to mention the nudity and towelling going on in the background and the sheer number of magnum PIs and mountain men with no goggles in the swim!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

lol at 20.35 there's a man in the background standing bollock naked behind the woman being interview, was joe duffy on the go back then :-)

promethius wrote: »
    This is from memory from an old clipping a read earlier in the year from a local newspaper so don't be asking for a link or anything :D

the first triathlon in sligo was in 1984 and it consisted of a run, bike and run for the simple reason that the organisers didn't think (probably rightly at the time) that there would be many able for the swim (no buoyancy suits back then). One of the run legs was up knocknarae which developed into the warriors run and the triathlon switched to a swim the next year. Loved the swagger of hartman, if he was a chocolate bar he'd eat himself! Very successful sports physical therapist in UL now.

They mention the Warriors Run at the start of the program on the 1985 Championships sponsored by Premier Daries !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They mention the Warriors Run at the start of the program on the 1985 Championships sponsored by Premier Daries !!

I have to wonder how accurate the distances are. 17min swims, non wetsuit :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good man AKW. Enjoyed that
    And while your at it 1984 and then 1986 please?:)

Never mind the recent scandal of boobies in Westport, could you imagine the national outrage and the Sunday sermons about yer man's naked skinny arse being shown, unedited on the R.T.E. in 1985!!!

I'd say there would have been a queue at the phone in the village and postcards been sent by the thousands to Uncle Gaybo. :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Never mind the recent scandal of boobies in Westport, could you imagine the national outrage and the Sunday sermons about yer man's naked skinny arse being shown, unedited on the R.T.E. in 1985!!!

I'd say there would have been a queue at the phone in the village and postcards been sent by the thousands to Uncle Gaybo. :):)

And before neighbours, must have been on around 5pm?

Advertisement