Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomeBrewWest BH LME?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Used it, liked it.

Hell I used it for an extract beer on its own. It actually has a nice malty character that I really like, and which comes through in the end. If anyone has tried Brooklyn Lager, there is a really pronounced malt presence in that beer, which HBW BfH Extract leaves in the beer.

One issue is that the colour is quite high, more red/amber. If you are really particular about hitting a low SRM/EBC in your beer, it may not be suitable.

Thumbs up. Like having this stuff around.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

agree mighty stuff...great price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Yea I use it all the time for extract beers. Works out €5 per 1.5kg if you buy in bulk.
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie/bh-light-lme-liquid-malt-extract-240-kg-16-by-15-kg-cans-2980-p.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Sounds good so.

They had special deals going on where you could get a can with some of the Coopers kits for 19.75.

Can't beat that, a fiver for the LME then.

Thats a really good deal. You are nearly on the cost ballpark of all grain, when your 3Kg of extract costs you €10 (5 gal batch).

Bookmarked.

• Advertisement

Yea this is it, if you're not in a club grain is going to cost you about €9 a batch anyway. I think if they start to bring out the same colour range as they do for DME it will be a very popular product.

€19.75 is very cheap for coopers and can. Used to cost €22-€23 with DME.

Devi wrote: »
    Yea this is it, if you're not in a club grain is going to cost you about €9 a batch anyway. I think if they start to bring out the same colour range as they do for DME it will be a very popular product.

I buy my grain at cost from a microbrewer, so I am lucky in that regard, but it is still not enormously cheaper than this extract.

However I think the colour grade might be why it is so cheap. It is possible that this is a blend of extracts left over after other processes that result in a more specific EBC.

I dont do a lot of extract brewing any more, but this is tempting.

sharingan wrote: »
    However I think the colour grade might be why it is so cheap. It is possible that this is a blend of extracts left over after other processes that result in a more specific EBC.

I was thinking it was because light is usualy the most popular but now that you metion it, that does make more sense and probably the reason we havnt got different colours.

Ive been using this LME for a while now, anybody think the head retention is a bit poor compared to DME? Ive started to prime with DME which has improved things a bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

thehomebrewcompany.ie has what looks like the same LME for 5.95 a can

• Advertisement
Advertisement