Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity hospital policies

Options
  • 07-08-2013 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

When you are admitted to hospital during your pregnancy or during labour what if you don't agree to certain policies the hospital has?

for example to name just 2 of my concerns...having to be induced at ten days over due...even if you & baby are monitored & are doing well,
    or a controlled third stage of delivery (their policy of not letting the placenta deliver naturally & cutting the cord straight away)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It depends on your hospital and sometimes the consultant you are under. I chose my consultant carefully because I have certain preferences. For example, induction isn't done for a woman who's had a c-section and is trying for a vaginal birth and the overdue policy is one week, after which time I will most likely look for an elective section. If I was a 'normal' case I'd be offered induction after 14 days - the key word being offered. I could decline and see what happens, but then there are risks such as the placenta not working as well and fluid levels dropping. You might be better off asking about the policies of the hospital you wish to attend and people will be able to advise on their experiences.

I know people who've asked for delayed cord clamping (depends on the circumstance though, in an emergency that may not be possible) and who went overdue beyond hospital policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

I don't know for sure but I imagine if you disagree with the hospital policies you are free to go elsewhere.

This may mean paying for private care if you want a bit more control over things. But even with that you may well get the doc wanting to induce you. Sure the placenta can only hold so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I just deleted my whole reply by mistake!

Hospital policies are not requirements.
    You are well within your rights to decline induction at +10, +14.
    You are also well within your rights to decline a managed third stage and have a natural physiological delivery of the placenta.

AIMS Ireland are a fantastic resource for sound, evidence based information.
    They posted two particularly relevant posts on their blog today.
    http://42weeks.ie/2013/08/07/no-thank-you-a-guide-to-informed-decison-making/
    http://42weeks.ie/2013/08/07/informed-consent-in-childbirth-making-rights-into-reality

I wish someone had told me before or during my pregnancy that I had a right to say "NO, thank you".
    You do not have to pay for private care in order to decline any tests or procedures. You just have to say No thanks, or not right now, perhaps another time, or I would like a few moments/ days/ weeks to consider that option and won't be making a decision today.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

I felt so unsure about what the hell was happening in my past two births that I am worrying going into this one about all the things that I'd like to have a say in...and of course it is all based on whether the baby is happy & healthy, that goes without saying...I am not saying I don't want the opinions & help of the medical professionals, but just to feel like I am in charge of me & my baby too...I didn't feel like she was even mine until I left the hospital 4 days later on my last baby

I don't know for sure but I imagine if you disagree with the hospital policies you are free to go elsewhere.

This may mean paying for private care if you want a bit more control over things. But even with that you may well get the doc wanting to induce you. Sure the placenta can only hold so much.

I am aware the placenta can only do so much, but I am also aware cutting the cord straight away is policy to speed things up & get you out of there...and induction is mainly planned to fit everyone in in tidy order so they can manage the delivery in a certain time frame & ...get you out of there. I am suggesting holding off on induction for a few days longer IF the baby is happy & healthy & mum too.

I had just been to the AIMS website last night actually & found that page very helpful with how to know what to say, thanks! The story's creating a scenario for different issues was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Best to have a birthplan done first stating you want natural 3rd stage, delayed clamping etc. Get your consultant to sign off on it before you go into labour go through it with him/her at your last few appointments,then make sure midwife has a copy when you are delivering. I didnt have my plan followed as I was induced, but I could still have insisted on natural 3rd stage delayed clamping etc,, but found I didnt have the energy in labour to start making demands. Should have done it earlier!

• Advertisement
Advertisement