Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marks and spencer to close in naas

Options
  • 07-08-2013 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭

Obviously not a place to do your weeks shopping but nice for the odd treat. Unfortunate to see a high profile chain closing down in the town. Can't help but think that lack of free parking in the area was a major contributor to this

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bang on with the free parking. The town council will never learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

More decimation of Naas Town centre. Where will it end?

I haven't been in Naas for years now. Main reason for me was the cost of parking the car. Seems they have dropped it a bit from when I was last up there ( as someone pointed out to me on another thread). But now what? Half built SC, and they can't get an anchor tenant. Stand to correction, but last time I drove through Naas the superquin site was still boarded off, and now M & S. Naas Town Council ( NTC) will have get up off their asses now and make moves otherwise the town centre will be a pure ghost town, which really would be a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

beertons wrote: »
    Bang on with the free parking. The town council will never learn.

I don't understand what you mean beertons and paddylonglegs. Do you think that all public parking should be free? And if not, it will ruin a business?

HonalD wrote: »
    I don't understand what you mean beertons and paddylonglegs. Do you think that all public parking should be free? And if not, it will ruin a business?

I'm not speaking for either Beertons or Paddylonglegs here, but for me, I would have a choice for the grocery shopping - Go to M& S and fork out to park the car, or go out to Tesce on the Monread and park for free?I know which option I'll opt for & it won't be contributing to someone's extortionate salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The parking in that centre isn't KCC controlled, though.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    The parking in that centre isn't KCC controlled, though.

Fair enough, but the street's is either KCC's or NTC's patch. And also, I am sure some joker who owns the multi-storey parking in that building is creaming it. Having said that, who owns the parking spaces is not the issue for me, I would still rather go out to the Monread than fork out to park at that end of the town where M&S is...for now. And as I say, I don't know either of the other 2 Poster's thinking behind their comments, but for me, there isn't a choice to make.

Interesting read in The Leinster Leader on this topic: http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/business/despair-in-naas-over-m-s-announcement-1-5363638

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

M&S have not being doing very with sales, I expect that is why they have clsoed the Naas store. They were not very happy when the lost the sale in the link below.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/business/52031/qatar-launch-%C2%A38bn-marks-spencer-bid

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/10073773/Why-the-rest-of-the-high-street-is-in-better-shape-than-MandS.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Free parking before midday every day would help. Tralee brought that in a few months ago and there was a great crowd round the town in the mornings. And for what they are charging, it's too much. Breaks my heart going into the multistory. And parking down Gleann na Greine isn't always a given. I still check out the road anyway, as it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Fair enough, but the street's is either KCC's or NTC's patch. And also, I am sure some joker who owns the multi-storey parking in that building is creaming it. Having said that, who owns the parking spaces is not the issue for me, I would still rather go out to the Monread than fork out to park at that end of the town where M&S is...for now. And as I say, I don't know either of the other 2 Poster's thinking behind their comments, but for me, there isn't a choice to make.

Interesting read in The Leinster Leader on this topic: http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/business/despair-in-naas-over-m-s-announcement-1-5363638

Surely he isnt.He has now lost his anchor tenant to the Centre

I'm not speaking for either Beertons or Paddylonglegs here, but for me, I would have a choice for the grocery shopping - Go to M& S and fork out to park the car, or go out to Tesce on the Monread and park for free?I know which option I'll opt for & it won't be contributing to someone's extortionate salary.

What you have done is compare apples with oranges. Paying a couple of euro for parking and shopping in the more expensive shop can't be compared to the biggest tesco in Ireland, with multiple other shops in situ outside town centre.

Having to pay a couple of euro for parking couldn't be one of the main reasons for shopping out of town, it doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement

raven136 wrote: »

The developer in question has let the majority of his tenants leave or close down. It's difficult to know what business strategy he has.

Free parking before midday every day would help. Tralee brought that in a few months ago and there was a great crowd round the town in the mornings. And for what they are charging, it's too much. Breaks my heart going into the multistory. And parking down Gleann na Greine isn't always a given. I still check out the road anyway, as it's free.

The horse is long gone - there is no business in Naas town centre that is not available out of town. The decision to grant permission for the tesco site is the biggest factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Thats not a good comparrison at all, they are two completly different shops and not in competition with each other...

Most people i see in m&s know what they are after and are in and out quick, the 15mins free parking in the multi story has always been enough for me running in there or into one of the other shops in the centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

The developer in question has let the majority of his tenants leave or close down. It's difficult to know what business strategy he has.

I dont think thats a business stragegy,more just the tenants that were there have moved.OBriens off licence moving to Tesco,the takeaways gone due to lack of business
    Cant imagine the owner of the centre/car park has let them leave or not tried to get new tenants in?:????

I was up in Donegal Town last month on a Wednesday on holidays. Couldn't get parking on the street at 09h30 in the morning, because they charge the sum of 30 cents per hour. I stopped in Boyle on the way up, and there parking is FREE. Town was buzzing.

Surely there MUST be a message in there somewhere.

What you have done is compare apples with oranges. Paying a couple of euro for parking and shopping in the more expensive shop can't be compared to the biggest tesco in Ireland, with multiple other shops in situ outside town centre.

Having to pay a couple of euro for parking couldn't be one of the main reasons for shopping out of town, it doesn't make sense.

Let me see, I need some meat? There is a butchers on the Monread, I need to buy something for a present...there is Argos....I need bread and milk.....sure why don't we go out to Monread, and have free parking, and can enjoy a coffee, albeit an expensive one, I must admit.

I agree, one wouldn't be doing their month's shopping M&S, but at the same time there are things that one does go there for.No more anyhow.

Who knows where the exodus from NTC will end, but it seems to be all one way traffic, and it's out of Naas to the Monread as far I can see.

I dont think thats a business stragegy,more just the tenants that were there have moved.OBriens off licence moving to Tesco,the takeaways gone due to lack of business
    Cant imagine the owner of the centre/car park has let them leave or not tried to get new tenants in?:????

Not to mention Ryans (?) ( where one used to be able to get a good decent breakfast) or the furniture shop. There may be more, but I am not aware.

Apology, I should have used PAST tense. Yes He was, but not now if based on whats left in that SC. Now 2 SC's in Naas and the old Superquin building either going to rack and ruin, or on the way. Not to mention my old favourite steak house - Angus Joes.

What sad times for Naas.

I was up in Donegal Town last month on a Wednesday on holidays. Couldn't get parking on the street at 09h30 in the morning, because they charge the sum of 30 cents per hour. I stopped in Boyle on the way up, and there parking is FREE. Town was buzzing.

Just on this post:

1. Donegal Town was full because it charges; and
    2. Boyle was buzzing because parking is free........? :confused:

Apology, I should have used PAST tense. Yes He was, but not now if based on whats left in that SC. Now 2 SC's in Naas and the old Superquin building either going to rack and ruin, or on the way. Not to mention my old favourite steak house - Angus Joes.

What sad times for Naas.

Agreed except for the Angus Joe reference!

• Advertisement

Just on this post:

1. Donegal Town was full because it charges; and
    2. Boyle was buzzing because parking is free........? :confused:

Listen You seem to have a MAJOR issue with parking fees, or lack thereof in other parts of the country.

PLEASE tell me where in the Naas commercial area (if there is still one) one can park for free, and also pay 30c/hr?

Listen You seem to have a MAJOR issue with parking fees, or lack thereof in other parts of the country.

PLEASE tell me where in the Naas commercial area (if there is still one) one can park for free, and also pay 30c/hr?

Less of the capitals please mate.

My only point is that the main reason for a business to close or fail has nothing to do with the price of public parking.

It may be one of the reasons but can't ever be the main reason. Market forces prevail.

My comment referred to the contradiction in your post re. Donegal and Boyle.

Less of the capitals please mate.

My only point is that the main reason for a business to close or fail has nothing to do with the price of public parking.

It may be one of the reasons but can't ever be the main reason. Market forces prevail.

My comment referred to the contradiction in your post re. Donegal and Boyle.

Fierstly, please refrain from using the word mate, ok?

Secondly, if you cant see that parking fees are a detriment to people going to a SC/town etc, well, .....Your problem. What would You put Donegal being so busy before banks open down to then? I'm not saying they are only busy because of parking charges, but for me, they sure represented a welcome relief from the rip off charges we have to endure here.

Agree on the market forces though, and firmly believe its a combination of both the accessability ( parking fees etc) coupled with this abhorent LPT, and the water charges coming down the road which are closing these places up., I also firmly believe we ain't seen the worst yet. But of course the clowns in Kildare Street can't see that.

You don't get it, do you? Donegal was 30c per hour, Boyle was free...last time I was in Naas it was €2 per hour..in that backstreet parking lot opposite Superquin. And why have I not been back? Because am damned if I will pay €2 to park a car in Naas.

I notice you only included the Donegal as far as 'it charges' You conveniently decided to omit the 30 cents per hour. If You want to make a point PLEASE play on a level playing field

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The fact is, there are not many parking places in Donegal town and plenty in Boyle.

You don't get it, do you? Donegal was 30c per hour, Boyle was free...last time I was in Naas it was €2 per hour..in that backstreet parking lot opposite Superquin. And why have I not been back? Because am damned if I will pay €2 to park a car in Naas.

I notice you only included the Donegal as far as 'it charges' You conveniently decided to omit the 30 cents per hour. If You want to make a point PLEASE play on a level playing field

Calm down mate, I get exactly what you posted about Boyle/donegal and it was contradictory.

We live in a free country and therefore we can choose to shop wherever we want. Other punters are happy to pay €2 - less than the cost of a newspaper - so the market works itself out.

If like yourself you don't want to pay then there are two options, risk a clamp (it is a private car park) or shop elsewhere.

Can we move on please? :o

Calm down mate, I get exactly what you posted about Boyle/donegal and it was contradictory.

We live in a free country and therefore we can choose to shop wherever we want. Other punters are happy to pay €2 - less than the cost of a newspaper - so the market works itself out.

If like yourself you don't want to pay then there are two options, risk a clamp (it is a private car park) or shop elsewhere.

Can we move on please? :o

Will You PLEASE refrain from using the word 'mate'...I don't know You, I am not nor do i wish to be your mate and I certainly do not agree with your theories.

If you wish to pay €2 to keep some gombeen in a hugely inflated salary in Aras Cill Dara, then thats your choice, I'm NOT going to. I'll go to Monread and shop and park for free...now, as You say, lets move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Will You PLEASE refrain from using the word 'mate'...I don't know You, I am not nor do i wish to ne your mate and I certainly do not agree with your theories.

If you wish to pay €2 to keep some gombeen in a hugely inflated salary in Aras Cill Dara, then thats your choice, I'm NOT going to. I'll go to Monread and shop and park for free...now, as You say, lets move on.

Everyone knows that car parking charges are a disaster...well almost everyone.

Several shops closed down in Limerick city and they moved out to the suburbs,,,,,,the reason they cited,,,car charges. The numpties in limerick city council 'it's got nothing to do with car charges' City centre is dead now.....and they still haven't learnt :mad:...and our taxes are going paying these numpties some of the biggest salaries in Europe. :rolleyes:

Joe Public wrote: »
    The fact is, there are not many parking places in Donegal town and plenty in Boyle.

And the source to prove your statement is?

• Advertisement

I have googled to find the answers to your claim about the plenty of parking spaces in Boyle, and 'not many' in Donegal, and can find nothing.

Please if You wish to make a statement be prepared to have proof to back it up, or else rather say nothing.

Advertisement