Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marks and spencer to close in naas

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Just on the pay for parking thing, and this is no dig at HonalD: I was in A shopping centre I have never been in before - The Pavillion in Swords. There the first 2 hours parking is FREE and then the next hour is €1. Also why did Dundrum drop their charge for the first 3 hours from €6 to €2 a few years ago, and have never reversed this decision?

Alas HonalD, I think the first 2 posters hit the nail on the head with regard to the parking being an aspect of the demise of M&S and NTC in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Joe Public wrote: »
    The fact is, there are not many parking places in Donegal town and plenty in Boyle.

Massive carpark heading down the bay, fair amount of parking around the Diamond, free parking in the Supervalu which is within walking distance of the Diamond - that's not "not many".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Will You PLEASE refrain from using the word 'mate'...I don't know You, I am not nor do i wish to be your mate and I certainly do not agree with your theories.

If you wish to pay €2 to keep some gombeen in a hugely inflated salary in Aras Cill Dara, then thats your choice, I'm NOT going to. I'll go to Monread and shop and park for free...now, as You say, lets move on.

Please refrain from attacking me and not the contents of my posts. I have plenty of mates who have different views to me, that's the beauty of democracy.

With regard to you comment above linking the €2 charge in a private car park to a local authority salary, this is rubbish, if it was a public car park, that would make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Alas HonalD, I think the first 2 posters hit the nail on the head with regard to the parking being an aspect of the demise of M&S and NTC in general.

You have already said that you don't know the posters and don't represent their views.

I have not said that charging for parking has nothing to do with shops closing, but it is definitely not the primary reason as argued by yourself.

I getting tired of being involved in a never ending cycle of comment. As I suggested before, please move the discussion on........please.

HonalD wrote: »
    You have already said that you don't know the posters and don't represent their views.

I have not said that charging for parking has nothing to do with shops closing, but it is definitely not the primary reason as argued by yourself.

I getting tired of being involved in a never ending cycle of comment. As I suggested before, please move the discussion on........please.

Let's just say we agree to disagree. Okay, I agree with You on let's move on.

The tragedy is that where there once was a beautiful town centre is now being decimated ( for a number of reason's,, right HonalD? :) ). And whatever we feel, seeing the centre of Naas gutted is not good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Naas's main problem is parking - but not necessarily the parking charges but the utter lack of parking availability on the main street for popping in somewhere.

A maximum of one hour should be enforced at a charge of 50c for 30 minutes or €2 for an hour.

By using this method most spaces would be used for 30minutes or less and the average space would be used by up to 10 cars a day - mulitply that by the number of spaces and you get a lot of casual custom.

Naas TC, simply can't see this approach and allow 2 hours parking thus spaces being used 3 times a day.

For those who wish to stay 2/3/4 hours there are plenty of options in the carparks off the main street.

sandin wrote: »
    Naas's main problem is parking - but not necessarily the parking charges but the utter lack of parking availability on the main street for popping in somewhere.

A maximum of one hour should be enforced at a charge of 50c for 30 minutes or €2 for an hour.

By using this method most spaces would be used for 30minutes or less and the average space would be used by up to 10 cars a day - mulitply that by the number of spaces and you get a lot of casual custom.

Naas TC, simply can't see this approach and allow 2 hours parking thus spaces being used 3 times a day.

For those who wish to stay 2/3/4 hours there are plenty of options in the carparks off the main street.

But why a charge at all? I was in The Pavillion SC in Swords on Saturday - first time ever there - and was stunned to see the first 2 hours FREE, and the 3rd only €1. Dundrum SC charge €2 for the 1st hour and You get the next 2 free. Liffey Valley is free, Blanchardstown is also free. I also heard today that Tallaght has reversed their policy of charging to park a car.

I was in Whitewater this evening, and according to my parking ticket I was 19 minutes in there, and was charged €1.30. I'll NEVER darken Whitewater's CP again.

Somehow, the SC's in Dublin seem to have their act together, while we down here in Co. Kildare seem to want to charge joe public to park, NO MATTER WHAT! I am sorry for ranting, but for me, I'll always go to Tesco in future on the Monread, and if Whitewater is not careful, they could also end up like the place ( not sure what that building is named...sorry) where M&S was in Naas.

I could do a lot of shopping in Naas but rarely ever go there because of the parking space availability and the price of parking.
    I would rather drive to Tallaght or Liffey Valley. I can't even go to the barber in Naas with my 4 boys because its impossible to know whether we would be in and out in less than an hour or end up having to wait.
    My wife and her friends would love to have their coffee get together in one of the many cafes in Naas but again the ease and no cost of going to Costa in Monread is worth paying the premium coffee prices.
    I can't see how so many businesses survive at all in Naas.
    If I could just drive to the town, pay a nominal fee and worry too much if I go over the time by 5 or 10mins without getting a parking ticket, I would frequent Naas a lot more. Just over 2 years ago I got a parking fine because I was just under 10mins late (coming from OB1). Haven't been back since except for dropping off and picking up kids from the schools in town.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The missus went in there earlier. She parked in Tesco, and had her parking validated by buying a few baby wipes in there. She said moral was really low, heads down, shelves half empty. Speaking with one of the women there, she said she wasn't able to transfer to Newbridge or Liffey Valley, they were finishing up at the weekend.

beertons wrote: »
    The missus went in there earlier. She parked in Tesco, and had her parking validated by buying a few baby wipes in there. She said moral was really low, heads down, shelves half empty. Speaking with one of the women there, she said she wasn't able to transfer to Newbridge or Liffey Valley, they were finishing up at the weekend.

You are talking about M&S in Naas, I assume Beertons? That's the tragedy in all this, X number of people who worked there are on the street within the next 2 weeks, and let's be honest, with 400k ( give or take) already on the dole, prospects ain't looking too rosy out there. As for the Newbridge shop, as I say above, if Whitewater don't get their arses in gear, they too could be in trouble down the road. The day of screwing people for what they can to park a car is gone IMHO.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, Naas I meant. I use the Aldi/Lidl carpark when I go to whitewater, free parking. (It's one of them, I always mix them up)

beertons wrote: »
    Oh yeah, Naas I meant. I use the Aldi/Lidl carpark when I go to whitewater, free parking. (It's one of them, I always mix them up)

Lidl FYI:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I have googled to find the answers to your claim about the plenty of parking spaces in Boyle, and 'not many' in Donegal, and can find nothing.

Please if You wish to make a statement be prepared to have proof to back it up, or else rather say nothing.

Just going on experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have one main 'gripe' with paid street parking, and that is the predictive element of it. If I go into Naas I am supposed to know how long I'll be gone and then if I am slightly delayed I face a fine (or a clamp in some of the private car parks).

Naas needs to resolve the parking issue quickly, this does not necessarily mean they should make it free, but they should make it more user friendly.

Personally I would prefer if they removed most of the on-street parking in favour of wider foot paths and nice landscaping.
    I am not sure of the politics or legality of it, if they are licensed or have planning stipulations, but the current parking should be legislated. There could be maximum daily/hourly rates, no clamping, maximum fines and pay as you leave systems.

Also, a town strategy is an absolute must. Most of the damage is done now after granting permission for 3 large out of town shopping centers (Tesco, Woodies & B&Q). Surely they can incentivise certain businesses, low rates for Restaurants etc.

Sorry bit of a wandering post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

But why a charge at all? I was in The Pavillion SC in Swords on Saturday - first time ever there - and was stunned to see the first 2 hours FREE, and the 3rd only €1. Dundrum SC charge €2 for the 1st hour and You get the next 2 free. Liffey Valley is free, Blanchardstown is also free. I also heard today that Tallaght has reversed their policy of charging to park a car.

I was in Whitewater this evening, and according to my parking ticket I was 19 minutes in there, and was charged €1.30. I'll NEVER darken Whitewater's CP again.

Somehow, the SC's in Dublin seem to have their act together, while we down here in Co. Kildare seem to want to charge joe public to park, NO MATTER WHAT! I am sorry for ranting, but for me, I'll always go to Tesco in future on the Monread, and if Whitewater is not careful, they could also end up like the place ( not sure what that building is named...sorry) where M&S was in Naas.

Free carparking and every space will be taken up by the hundreds of offcie workers and leave no space at all.

New shopping centres have to have parking charges as per planning conditions - whitewater comes under that as does Dundrum. Whitewater have a maximum charge of €4 (i think), so it encourages longer shopping and you not being worried about the parking charge.

Tallaght had to start charging because of the huge number using it as a carpark for the luas and for offices. - they now have a very strict limit and clamp on a regular basis those who out stay (I think they put a warning notice on the first offence and clamp if it happens again)

But a low off main street long term parking charge to encourage 2 - 3 hours stays and a low short temr charge on the main street.

Excessive charges, just drive you away.

M&S won't be the last to pull out of there either. Tkmaxx had the right idea in Newbridge, pay a percentage of their turnover as rent.

sandin wrote: »
    Free carparking and every space will be taken up by the hundreds of offcie workers and leave no space at all.

New shopping centres have to have parking charges as per planning conditions - whitewater comes under that as does Dundrum. Whitewater have a maximum charge of €4 (i think), so it encourages longer shopping and you not being worried about the parking charge.

Tallaght had to start charging because of the huge number using it as a carpark for the luas and for offices. - they now have a very strict limit and clamp on a regular basis those who out stay (I think they put a warning notice on the first offence and clamp if it happens again)

But a low off main street long term parking charge to encourage 2 - 3 hours stays and a low short temr charge on the main street.

Excessive charges, just drive you away.

And the excessivity of Whitewater has driven me away. €1.30 for 19 minutes? :mad:

I agree on Tallaght, but why have they reversed their charging then? Albeit, I hear it's the first 2 or 3 hours free thereafter the fees kick in, as it does in Dundrum and The Pavillion. When Dundrum opened they were charging €2/hr flat. When the crap hit the fan they dropped to €2 for the forst 3 hours, and thereafter the fees increased which I have no problem with.

Something will have to give in Whitewater, or else they will surely see another centre becoming a white elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

According to the Leinster Leader, Red Cottage Retail (formerly known as the Dandelion Market) located beside M&S is to close at the end of the month.

brian_t wrote: »
    According to the Leinster Leader, Red Cottage Retail (formerly known as the Dandelion Market) located beside M&S is to close at the end of the month.

Yes, here's the link: http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/business/naas-marketplace-to-shut-its-doors-1-5379799

Also in the same edition of the LL is this: http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/business/naas-marks-spencer-staff-had-no-idea-shop-was-going-to-close-1-5379727

Last 3 paragraphs were very telling and precise imho:

Naas Fianna Fail representative James Lawless said fresh thinking is needed to promote Naas.

“We’ve seen new supermarkets develop and do good business outside the town. There are plenty of people here to support local business but they need to be brought back into the town centre.”

Mr. Lawless said rates competition between in-town and out-of-town developments needs to be stopped and he wants “plentiful and clamp free” parking within the town.

Advertisement