Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New user profile in W7

• 07-08-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm running a Sony Viao [vpceh3n6e] W7, 8 Gb ram.
    I'm running Prem pro CS2 to edit video.
    My question:
    In W7, can I set up a new profile in which I can devote max resources to CS2? Eg no anti virus or any other apps that start up on standard boot.
    Step by step guide appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

While not entirely impossible, it's much easier via dual boot. Create a new partition, install Windows on it (a trial version might do for gaming) and then strip the hell out of it. Knock off Windows update, Windows Defender, Search, indexing, Superfetch, error reporting, time, themes, action center... anything that's eating resources or might otherwise interefere with your gaming experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭mrtom

Torqay wrote: »
    While not entirely impossible, it's much easier via dual boot. Create a new partition, install Windows on it (a trial version might do for gaming) and then strip the hell out of it. Knock off Windows update, Windows Defender, Search, indexing, Superfetch, error reporting, time, themes, action center... anything that's eating resources or might otherwise interefere with your gaming experience.

Thanks for that. An approach I hadn't considered.
    Any idea what % performance improvement I could expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Oh, when I read CS I was thinking along the lines of gaming (counter strike)... ;)

Of course, this should also work for Premiere Pro. Put it this way, the the less interference through programs and services running in the background, the better, that goes for pretty much any demanding application or game. How much the benefits is hard to say, depends on the specs of you computer and whatever you have running at the moment.

If you want to set up a dedicated account, use Autoruns to clean up your start up routine. Problem is, you cannot disable Windows Services on a per-user basis, however, it is possible to stop unecessary services via net stop <servicename>, ideally with a batch script which is to be executed when you log in (requires admin rights for this account).

Advertisement