Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lottie Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ahwell wrote: »
    I find this whole notion of "inherited talents" a bit dubious tbh. If this was that common why do the vast majority of family-owned businesses fail when the second generation come along.

I think you are being selective with whatever research you did about business failures. Most of the sources I could find (American) show that within 10 years of start up, only about 30% of businesses in a lot of sectors are still going concerns.

That is generally not long enough for a business to be passed on to a second generation. And it would point to businesses being more likely than not to already have troubles at the handover point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How much is she on?

They only release the top 10 earners, there’s rumoured 100s of “talent” in joint 11th place

In addition she elicits very negative reactions in her 'target customers'
    Not that there's been a census in a long time, but I somehow doubt, given the likely demographics of this website, that many of us are in her target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

When i hear Lottie Ryan on the radio i instantly change stations, find her boring, lacks talent and engagement of audience, dismissive of those she speaks to including guests. I don't know how she qualifies as a "star", its kinda like she went through the tv/radio version of xfactor but won because who her family were, in this case Gerry who i enjoyed listening to immensely. Far better female radio presenters out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I think you are being selective with whatever research you did about business failures. Most of the sources I could find (American) show that within 10 years of start up, only about 30% of businesses in a lot of sectors are still going concerns.

That is generally not long enough for a business to be passed on to a second generation. And it would point to businesses being more likely than not to already have troubles at the handover point.

And picking out four examples, in a fairly large industry that's being around for quite awhile, as somehow being evidence of "inherited talent" isn't being selective? I didn't claim to have done any research, I was just aware that only 70% of family businesses don't survive the transition from the first to the second generation.

Anyway back to Lottie. What talent has she inherited from her father? In what way are their broadcasting styles alike?

• Advertisement

Ahwell wrote: »

Anyway back to Lottie. What talent has she inherited from her father? In what way are their broadcasting styles alike?

Her father was talentless, so it does work. She still has a way to go to emulate his wages, but give her time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Her father was talentless, so it does work. She still has a way to go to emulate his wages, but give her time.

Gerry Ryan was very popular as I remember. I never understood it but he had a fan base. I have never heard a similar love for the likes of Jennifer Zamparelli, Eoin McDermott, or Lottie Ryan.
    That said, I’m in my late 30s and don’t know that many young people, so maybe the youth love these guys.

Post deleted

This is not a Gerry Ryan discussion thread. See previous warnings —Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Not that there's been a census in a long time, but I somehow doubt, given the likely demographics of this website, that many of us are in her target audience.

And what is her target? 18-30? They don't listen to the radio at all, it is spotify, audiobooks and podcasts. Lottie is disliked by older listeners and ignored by younger ones. The same is true for many presenters mind you: the constant courting of the youth market is a disaster in my opinion, I have stopped listening to 90% of radio and migrated to the media I have mentioned above because I can't deal with the inane nonsense that qualifies as banter.

When i hear Lottie Ryan on the radio i instantly change stations, find her boring, lacks talent and engagement of audience, dismissive of those she speaks to including guests. I don't know how she qualifies as a "star", its kinda like she went through the tv/radio version of xfactor but won because who her family were, in this case Gerry who i enjoyed listening to immensely. Far better female radio presenters out there.

That makes no sense.

• Advertisement

That makes no sense.

Makes more sense than this comment

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    And what is her target? 18-30? They don't listen to the radio at all, it is spotify, audiobooks and podcasts.

I’m in the 18-30 bracket and a lot of my friends still listen to the radio in the car and at work. You’re right though in that outside of the car and the office, it’s all podcasts and Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I wonder what it is that people define as "talent" that Lottie seems to be lacking?
    Does she mumble on air? Does she hit the wrong cues? Does she stutter? Does she swear or use inappropriate language? What exactly is this radio "X factor" that Lottie is missing?
    Give examples of what exactly she's doing wrong, aside from existing.

flazio wrote: »
    I wonder what it is that people define as "talent" that Lottie seems to be lacking?
    Does she mumble on air? Does she hit the wrong cues? Does she stutter? Does she swear or use inappropriate language? What exactly is this radio "X factor" that Lottie is missing?
    Give examples of what exactly she's doing wrong, aside from existing.

https://www.rsvplive.i...ur-business-22393618

'My fertility is none of your business' then later in the piece Lottie says she intends on taking an AMH test to determine how many eggs she has left. This is one example of her many contradictions.

She’s regularly talks on the radio about how people deserves things on merit but never mentions the nepotism that has given her the privileged position in rte

Says one vague woke statement one day and then contradicts herself the next

Lottie reads the “entertainment” news every hour straight from the daily mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

This thread is going 7 years.

She has the gig, I think its time to move on.

Nobody deserves this much unfair attention and was previously mentioned I doubt many people from boards listen to 2fm.

Everything that’s wrong with irish society right there in that statement

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

That accent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

The nonsense nature of the role is what irritates me. Reading out 'entertainment news' is absolutely redundant as a feature. Would anybody stop listening to 2fm if it wasnt there? I really don't think so. It reeks of creating a task for the sake of it just to give it it to her. Just because she can read isnt enough of a reason to warrant the role. I think that's why the nepotism rubs people the wrong way, and make no mistake it is nepotism.

On top of that shes in her mid 30s but the role and persona is that of a younger person, which is annoying but ultimatly isnt her fault in fairness. It's not her fault shes uncharismatic and not interesting (has she ever said anything not glowing positive or complimentary?). I know it's a balancing act and if presenters were as cynical and sharp as some of us here it would be a very negative environment on air and nobody would like that either but at this stage a robot could just read out a story, say something positive and repeat. If everything is always great then it means nothing after a while.

Also just not being that bad at something is one of the weakest reasons imaginable to let someone continue doing something, it's up there with 'typical irish begrudgery' and 'change the station'. She can read effectively and always seems bright and chirpy- yes, so on paper she can do this role. Does this mean she should / it should exist? - maybe not.

In conclusion i think nepotism is inherently wrong and dont like seeing (hearing) examples of it. I can of course always turn off the radio/tv and would so if it was a private business but I especially dont like it but when its founded by (me) the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

But the accent ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

At some point Lottie is going to run out of road. I don't know who is sanctioning her continued employment on 2FM but at time will come when they aren't there any more. Radio presenting is a ruthless business and all it takes is somebody to decide your face doesn't fit and you're gone. RTE's financial woes are an ongoing issue and they may have no choice but to slim 2FM down. "Radio entertainment gal" sounds like a luxury rather than a necessity to me. She's also in her mid 30s now and give it a few years, she'll be too old for 2FM. I hope for her sake that she has more strings to her bow because I don't see her still reading out entertainment news when she's 50.

• Advertisement

Nobody deserves this much unfair attention and was previously mentioned I doubt many people from boards listen to 2fm.
    It is unfair. I went to look for a thread on Miriam O'Callaghan's radio programme, Sunday with Miriam, last weekend, and was surprised to find there wasn't one.

That's a show with 265 000 listeners, and it never had a thread.

This thread has been running for 7 years and has hundreds of posts consisting of angry and, sorry now, vapid nonsense about the most superficial characteristics of a minor reporter on 2fm. Many of us won't even have heard her speaking, because that's not our area of interest so we just leave it alone. Like a normal adult.

But it is a valid topic. And it is valid to opine that LR wouldn't be in the job were it not for personal connections – I happen to think that's true.

But ultimately the standards of this forum are down to the users. People might not believe it, but mods don't just go around taking down things we don't like. If someone reports that a conversation is going too far, or if people show concerns about the direction of a thread, that will have to be looked at. There's also absolutely no rule against stepping in and telling someone when they've crossed a line. The tone of this place is up to all of us as individual users to use or common sense, and as you've seen youraelf, there's a wide spectrum. I'll stop there.

It is unfair. I went to look for a thread on Miriam O'Callaghan's radio programme, Sunday with Miriam, last weekend, and was surprised to find there wasn't one.

Why just says there’s no thread on Miriam? Is there one on clare brynes or Brian dobson? Is there one on the far superior Tara Parker Steward who fills in for Lottie when she fills on for regular hosts? Plenty of examples of very talented people without dedicated threads.

A son or daughter working for the same employer as a parent, does not necessarily constitute nepotism. Those who are making that accusation would need to provide evidence to prove what they are saying. Lottie Ryan has denied that nepotism played any part in her career, easy to find links. So that would make her a liar as well in the eyes of those making the accusation.

Her father was dead when she got the job, so who is guilty of nepotism?

nepotism

noun
    the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

A son or daughter working for the same employer as a parent, does not necessarily constitute nepotism. Those who are making that accusation would need to provide evidence to prove what they are saying. Lottie Ryan has denied that nepotism played any part in her career, easy to find links. So that would make her a liar as well in the eyes of those making the accusation.

nepotism

noun
    the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

Rte are as per your above definition.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Rte are as per your above definition.

Name the person or people in RTE.

Name the person or people in RTE.

You didnt say please.

So according to you and Lottie, it a complete coincidence that she was taken on by the agent of her late father and a role was made for her on 2fm just after he died. What is it that actually swung it for her? Her complete lack of experience in radio broadcasting? Why would they choose Lottie above all the other hopefuls out there with media degrees? Was the job advertised? Did she go through an interview process?

All I need, please, is for someone to give me the proof. Until then I will take her at her word.

https://vipmagazine.ie/lottie-ryan-hits-back-at-the-haters-i-didnt-get-my-job-because-of-my-dad/

Lottie Ryan hits back at the haters: “I didn’t get my job because of my Dad”
    The 2fm star says she got by on her own merits

nepotism

noun

Lottie & rte forever talking about how she works in a studio that was named after her father is........

Can you attach them links? I could do with a laugh.

• Advertisement

All I need, please, is for someone to give me the proof. Until then I will take her at her word.

https://vipmagazine.ie/lottie-ryan-hits-back-at-the-haters-i-didnt-get-my-job-because-of-my-dad/

Lottie Ryan hits back at the haters: “I didn’t get my job because of my Dad”
    The 2fm star says she got by on her own merits

That's fine, you are entitled to your opinion of course but how would she know if she got the role because of nepotism? Just because just because someone says something doesnt mean it's true, I wish it did but that's not the way the world works sadly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement