Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lottie Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Ahwell wrote: »
    Nephew of a former chair of the Radio Éireann Authority, Eamonn Andrews. Who was also Gerry's Godfather.

I don't think Eamonn Andrews was a direct "Uncle" to both Gerry and Mike Ryan, but yes a Godfather to Gerry.

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2010/04/30/bourke-mourns-first-cousin-gerry-ryan/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I don't think Eamonn Andrews was a direct "Uncle" to both Gerry and Mike Ryan, but yes a Godfather to Gerry.

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2010/04/30/bourke-mourns-first-cousin-gerry-ryan/

Their mother's sister was married to Eamonn Andrews.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ahwell wrote: »
    Their mother's sister was married to Eamonn Andrews.

Eamonn Andrews was only in RTÉ for a few years when it first started. By the time Gerry was on Radio 2, he was presenting This is Your Life on ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Lottie has a job for life in radio. Strange how so many of her co workers have been shifted around to different slots or stations but never her, she seems to be the constant. She seems to have no ambition at all and is happy to stay in the one gig forever. Deep down she knows the only reason she has the job is because of who her father was. Cold hard fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Jaysus that voice/ accent can't be for real can it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Moon_shoes

Too much focus on Lottie. How did Rick O'Shea and Will Leahy manage to be made full-time RTE employees, meaning they can't be got rid off until their 65th birthday? Both gentlemen have been unwanted since 2013 but since they are employees, they have to find something for them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Moon_shoes wrote: »
    Too much focus on Lottie. How did Rick O'Shea and Will Leahy manage to be made full-time RTE employees, meaning they can't be got rid off until their 65th birthday? Both gentlemen have been unwanted since 2013 but since they are employees, they have to find something for them to do.

Is Will Leahy not a practising Solicitors/Barrister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Moon_shoes

Elmo wrote: »
    Is Will Leahy not a practising Solicitors/Barrister.

Yes as well as being a full-time RTE employee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It's a Lottie Ryan thread, if you want to discuss other presentors I would expect you can start a thread on them.

Will Leahy was actually decent when he used to do the afternoon show. I found him better than most of the other wasters on RTE. I spent a lot of time on road up/down from Cork and he seemed to be on at the time when I was driving and he was better than anything else on at time on radio stations available

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

So I just tuned in to Lottie, more out of interest from reading this thread rather than interest in Radio 2 (their music isn't to my taste, which is fair enough).

I heard her interview with the lady about the views, it was very poor. Way too quick, she has a tendency to almost shout questions rather than talk. Also twice she made the interview about herself; musing as to whether she should do the course and mentioning her fear of bees. That was in the space of about 120 seconds.

Poor standard overall. If you listen to John Creedon, he's often talking to the microphone, he has nobody to interview, but he does it in a calm, reasoned, interesting way. If Lottie was new to the game, I'd be more forgiving and just say she has a lot to learn, but she's been around RTE for 7 years and has had plenty of time to listen to others and listen back to herself, analyse what she does right and what she does wrong. But she obviously hasn't bothered, too much time spent networking in the canteen, rather than trying to improve herself.

She's not there on merit, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Too much focus on Lottie.

Not enough actually. Lots of questions should be asked.

Was there an open competition for any post you have held in RTE would be a good starting point, be that internally or externally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Elmo wrote: »
    Eamonn Andrews was only in RTÉ for a few years when it first started.

I know. Around the same time Ryan Tubridy's grandfather was the Chairman of the RTE Authority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Just a suggestion, but could they swap around George lee and Lottie. George could do the entertainment news and Lottie could tell us all how we’re all going to be boiling in our own piss come 2050.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

If Lottie was good at her job, this thread wouldn't be still going nearly 7 years later. Her father wasn't to everyone's taste but I think most people would agree that he was a talented radio presenter who connected with a large audience. I don't think you'd hear many people complaining about Gerry's voice or his accent - two features of Lottie's radio style which seem to grate on many people. If you look across the water to the UK, you've got families like the Dimblebys and the Snows on the box for years. I'm sure there was nepotism at play with them but when they're good at what they do, it doesn't matter after a while. Lottie was handed a gilt-edged opportunity to make a career in radio for herself but it never took off. She has been passed over for numerous daytime shows, which tells you everything you need to know about how she's rated on the station. Imagine what a PR coup it would've been if she'd gone on to host her father's old morning show instead of Jennifer Zamparelli?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's only a few people having a moan and not even getting to 500 posts after 7 years. Liveline threads do 10,000 posts every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

It's only a few people having a moan and not even getting to 500 posts after 7 years. Liveline threads do 10,000 posts every few weeks.

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

You can’t expect a ton of posts regularly on an entertainment news reader. It’s only when she presents is there more to talk about really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There were zero posts on the thread between August 2014 and April 2019. Was she off the radio during all that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

There were zero posts on the thread between August 2014 and April 2019. Was she off the radio during all that time?

Still dont get what the point you are trying to make is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Lottie's uncle also works in RTE Radio - Mike Ryan.

I remember him doing a few programs years ago, total gobs#ite with a ridiculous false accent .

• Advertisement

Tork wrote: »
    If Lottie was good at her job, this thread wouldn't be still going nearly 7 years later. Her father wasn't to everyone's taste but I think most people would agree that he was a talented radio presenter who connected with a large audience. I don't think you'd hear many people complaining about Gerry's voice or his accent - two features of Lottie's radio style which seem to grate on many people. If you look across the water to the UK, you've got families like the Dimblebys and the Snows on the box for years. I'm sure there was nepotism at play with them but when they're good at what they do, it doesn't matter after a while. Lottie was handed a gilt-edged opportunity to make a career in radio for herself but it never took off. She has been passed over for numerous daytime shows, which tells you everything you need to know about how she's rated on the station. Imagine what a PR coup it would've been if she'd gone on to host her father's old morning show instead of Jennifer Zamparelli?

You would think she would get the hint that shes not rated at all within the station and move on. But she has it too cushy to leave. She only got the job because of her surname and she knows she isnt good enough to climb the ladder, hence all around her gets promoted and upgraded and shifted around and shes still rotting away in amateur slots. Its laughable to see her lack of ambition but i guess without the rte gig she has no publicity, no magazine interviews etc...

You would think she would get the hint that shes not rated at all within the station and move on. But she has it too cushy to leave. She only got the job because of her surname and she knows she isnt good enough to climb the ladder, hence all around her gets promoted and upgraded and shifted around and shes still rotting away in amateur slots. Its laughable to see her lack of ambition but i guess without the rte gig she has no publicity, no magazine interviews etc...

It's fairly easy have a lack of ambition when you're probably getting 6 figures+ for a few hours work a week, as well as many sideline enrichment opportunities from photoshoots in magazines, public appearances etc.

Golden Handcuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If anybody questions the family name being responsible for where she is, just remember her sister's sing&dance group were given a slot on prime time TV to strut their stuff. Babbette appeared on Ray D'Arcy's show a couple of years back, but alas that wasn't enough to push her career up to that of Beyonce, Jay Z, Kim Kardashian etc. etc.

We used to have a lot of talented musicians in this country, you could angle for a bit of TV publicity by getting a slot on the Late Late or similar and hope that that would get you the push you needed. Think of U2, Boomtown Rats, Undertones, Horslips, Something Happens, The Stunning.......

That's mostly finished now, because if you're not some sort of bubblegum pop act where your earnings go into Louis Walsh's arse pocket, you don't matter. How the hell Babette Ryan managed to wangle a slot on a Saturday night chat show, I don't know ( :rolleyes: ), but again it wasn't down to talent.

It's a kick in the teeth to anyone who tries to do their best in this country when someone from a family connection or an old boys club gets ahead of them, solely due to who they are and not how good they are at their job. It's been said before; if she was on private station, nobody would be bothered as that's their decision, but she's paid out of the public purse and it's just wrong.

KevRossi wrote: »
    That's mostly finished now, because if you're not some sort of bubblegum pop act where your earnings go into Louis Walsh's arse pocket, you don't matter.

Are you living in 2001 ?

It's fairly easy have a lack of ambition when you're probably getting 6 figures+ for a few hours work a week, as well as many sideline enrichment opportunities from photoshoots in magazines, public appearances etc.

Golden Handcuffs.

6+ figures?? Lotties salary is hardly at least 100k a year is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭balliali

She should drop the Lottie. I presume Charlotte is her real name, much more pleasant sounding.
    ...presumed wrong.... his children were Lottie, Rex, Bonnie, Babette, and Elliot.

6+ figures?? Lotties salary is hardly at least 100k a year is it?

I don't think Noel Kelly would be representing her for less than that tbh. Look at his client list

https://www.nkmanagement.ie/

Wouldn't be worth HIS while representing her if she's not.

I'm speculating of course, but this is RTE - isn't the AVERAGE salary of all employees there 70k? She's there 7+ years at least, you really think she's on less than that? She'd have gotten 30K alone for Dancing With the Staff based on the figures in the papers.

I'm not all that interested in the Top 10 earners in RTE info. when it comes out anymore, what I'd be far more intested in is seeing No.'s 11-500.

Is Lottie Ryan full time RTE Staff?

I get the impression that Dan Hegarty and Cormac Battle (and a few of the younger presenters who would work in RTE Sales or Multimedia such as Emma Power) are the only full time staff presenters on 2FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

She obviously has some people with clout looking out for her. I've no idea what she earns but the fault lies with the people who are continually renewing her contract and paying her well(?). It beats having a proper job, which is a nightmare scenario for many in the entertainment industry.

• Advertisement

Is Lottie Ryan full time RTE Staff?

I get the impression that Dan Hegarty and Cormac Battle (and a few of the younger presenters who would work in RTE Sales or Multimedia such as Emma Power) are the only full time staff presenters on 2FM?

She's likely a contractor given she's under Noel Kelly's wings. But a contractor would earn more than a salaried employee as well as getting the benefits that accrue to same - another reason I suspect she's on 6 figures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement