Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lottie Ryan

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭jimmy2flutes

I also agree with everything HeyBaby has said. I dont want to bash anyone who wants to do this radio game, but at least have the conviction to go and learn the trade, work in some smaller regional stations, work your way up to iRadio/Spin, and then move to the larger Dublin stations before getting the lucky chance to move to RTE.

The biggest issue that I see for Lottie, is that there is zero airchecking! Im sure with some coaching she could be an able presenter.

However again I must point out that whatever the long shadow her father cast in RTE, he was still just a scumbag drug addict! Last weeks Sunday World ran a radio ad which included the line 'Gerry Ryans daughter Bonnie'. Will they ever be able to stand on their own feet???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

heybaby wrote: »
    Well for Lottie's sake I gave her the benefit of the doubt for a while but enough is enough. None of the following is intended as a personal attack but an attack on the neptotistic sham that constitutes our national broadcaster.

Might I remind people 2FM is being 'run' by new man Dan Healy. He began in June, its now September and patently obvious he hasnt a bulls notion what a radio station is, let alone how to programme one.

I mentioned at the news of his appointment my fears that he was merely a media salesman with next to no programming experience, my fears have alas come to fruition.

I think its exceptionally unfair in some respects to put a novice on national radio because it will draw criticism from quarters purely because 2FM is being funded in part by the tax payer. When the aforementioned novice is clearly totally unprepared and inexperienced to present a radio show it highlights the illogic even more.

Lottie would struggle on hospital radio, and thats actually doing a huge disservice to community / hospital radio. She is quite obviously reading her links. The links themselves are repetitive and totally lack personality. her delivery is monotone and its clear she's purely concerned with getting to the end of the link in one piece.

Lottie doesnt do herself any favours when she continually pronounces the names of artists incorrectly, in a recent instance she repeatedly said EmiliA Sande instead of Emilie , its one vowel, but if you get it wrong , it kind of robs you of any credibility. Lottie would need to go off do a brief course in radio presentation (I think Today fm are doing one in october arent they ?) and learn her craft gradually. In radio you need to clock up your air miles, unless you are a born natural, Lottie is not a natural. She needs to earn her spurs in community radio then local radio then maybe if she's lucky national.

Quite apart from the ludicrous nepotism on display here what disgusts me is Im paying for this sodding awful radio product!! If Lottie was a radio presenting genius Id have a bitter taste in my mouth because of the nepotism, but i might be placated by her 'must listen to', radio show. The fact Lottie's presentation skills make Energy FM sound like bbc radio 4 speaks volumes.

While BBC radio 1's Scott Mill's show are racking up 3million hits in 3 days for their live lounge performances 2FM are treating us with Baz and Lucy's replacement .. Lottie Ryan..

While Capital FM's Dave Berry and Lisa Snowdon are broadcasting live from vegas for the premier of Justin Timberlake's new movie which very nicely coincides with the Iheart radio music festival featuring some of the biggest music names in the world, 2FM treat us to Hector name checking goat herders and 'keeping her lit'.

2FM Ive said before is a national disgrace. If it was an independent commercial entity it would have died yaers ago. I thought John mc Mahon and John Clarke before him missed out on a gilt edged opportunity to make it relevant and it looks like Dan Healy will be guilty of more abject waste.

I challenge dan Healy to come on to this forum and justify Lottie's presence on the national airwaves at tax payers expense, I challenge Dan Healy to justify his continued employment of Gogan , Fanning , Clarke and Hayes .. I challenge him to spell out his roadmap for 2FM, what is its identity ? Who is the station aimed at ? For a salesman you arent selling it to me and believe me I appreciate good radio when I hear it whether I like the presenters / format / music or not.

Never thought I say it but Lottie Ryan makes Baz and Lucy look good.
    good point regarding the new controller....his first bold statement was directed at the music. No music beyond a certain year would be played. What i gathered from this was he was accusing his competition of being dated and 2fm was the new yoof station....2fm's music (besides cormac battle and dave fanning) is truely awful. For example here is a typical tubridy scenario "ok mary sorry to hear about the rape and murder of your family here's barbie girl "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

I challenge Dan Healy to justify his continued employment of Gogan , Fanning , Clarke and Hayes .

Maybe the blame for that lays elsewhere, like...whoever it was that decided to the renew the contracts of RTE's top 20 earners before appointing a new head for one of it's failing radio stations. RTE is under a lot of pressure to break even this year after last years 65 million euro deficit. Not really the climate to be paying off expense contracts. Healy's hands could be tied.

I decided to give Lottie a turn. Here are my findings. She has a good strong voice. That is the only positive. She's still a bit hesitant and at times loike, gushing? Not the best for breakfast time. Between herself and Hector, my mornings are now spent in the company of other radio stations. They are more suited to the evening slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Who is the station aimed at ? For a salesman you arent selling it to me and believe me I appreciate good radio when I hear it whether I like the presenters / format / music or not.

Sadly, he does't need to sell it to you. A yearly state-endorsed mugging ensures we are all forced to buy his product whether we think it has any value or not.

• Advertisement

Hollywood actor jack reynor couldn't get a look in RTE and had to go to LA to be a megastar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

You can say she put in the work. You can say sins of the father etc.
    Lets be completely basic here.
    No kid fresh out of college or a broadcasting course gets the opportunities this girl got/gets. There are hundreds of media graduates ever year. So happens Gerry Ryan's daughter by mere happenstance, seems to be the diamond that fell from the heavens that warrants a shot in Montrose...the TV licence/broadcast tax or whatever they call it is your wallet being raped so dynasties can continue to have fun on your wage packet. Bless they'd need get like, a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Stumbled onto her show yesterday morning....

First time I've ever heard a DJ lead into an ad-break with 'and now, here's some adverts'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

it doesnt matter to rte is lotty ryan is any good or not, she had to get facilitated because rte feel they owe the ryan family a living, to the people who dont pay the licence fee, i cant blame ye with this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

"Stumbled onto her show" seems to be the operative phrase regarding the presenter, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

It seems the weekend breakfast slot 7 to 10 Lottie Ryan was presenting is now presented by Ronan McCaul.

She is now presenting the early weekend breakfast slot 6 to 7...this is a new slot and is probably the earliest 2FM have been on live (if the show is live!!) at the weekends in many years.

she should be in bed at that time and nowhere near the airwaves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

It's funny how different she is to Nicky Byrne. Both have little to no broadcasting experience, and were considered to be gifted a show based on their name.

Nicky Byrne is hitting it out of the park on his show though. He's certainly unpolished, but he's affable, willing to make fun of himself, lets Jenny hold her own rather than treating her as a sidekick and keeps everything ticking over nicely.

Lottie's show sounds like I'm overhearing a 17 year talking into her phone on the bus on the way into school in the morning.

It's funny how different she is to Nicky Byrne. Both have little to no broadcasting experience, and were considered to be gifted a show based on their name.

Nicky Byrne is hitting it out of the park on his show though. He's certainly unpolished, but he's affable, willing to make fun of himself, lets Jenny hold her own rather than treating her as a sidekick and keeps everything ticking over nicely.

Lottie's show sounds like I'm overhearing a 17 year talking into her phone on the bus on the way into school in the morning.
    nicky is good!

yes in fairness to nicky byrne he is not bad and will only get better but lottie ryan obviously hasnt got it and rte obviously feel they owe gerry ryan

Not listening to that show (not under any foreseeable circumstances!), but it seems she's one of the rotation of presenters in the "showbiz fluff" that 2FM have started shoving on after the news (after the sport). It's hardly rocket science (read out a bit of nonsense about famous people; optionally, have a chat about it with the DJ who's coming back on after), but LR's efforts at it are positively painful, as against the other two (or so) people doing the same thing, that actually give some appearance of being able to do the job. Possibly even having been picked to do it on merit, one might think.

it must be very frustrating for anyone who actually is qualified to be on radio and cant get a job and then they hear gerry ryans daughter making a bags of it just because rte feel obliged to give her a job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

jezzer wrote: »
    it must be very frustrating for anyone who actually is qualified to be on radio and cant get a job and then they hear gerry ryans daughter making a bags of it just because rte feel obliged to give her a job...

What makes one "qualified" to be on radio?

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

An ability to open your mouth for seconds on end without sounding like a complete idiot is generally a good start.

Or if RTE hiring practices are anything to go by, maybe not!

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote: »
    An ability to open your mouth for seconds on end without sounding like a complete idiot is generally a good start.

Or if RTE hiring practices are anything to go by, maybe not!

That doesn't really answer my question.
    Most of the best broadcasters I've ever heard have no "qualifications". At least not in media.
    I couldn't give 2 ****s what a " qualified" grad thinks about Lottie being on the radio.
    Im not defending Lottie being on the radio, far from it.

I'll go further and say that possibly some of the worst radio I've heard have been by those who have qualified in some media course.

Replace the word 'qualifications' with 'experience' then. Most people start on local stations, terrible time slots, or popping up reading sports news or the like, and then work their way up to having their own show IF they show that they're capable or they get themselves a following.

Lottie has just been gifted a show based on her family name and clearly isn't capable (right now) of carrying it

exactly, as said above, most people who work in radio have worked their way up the hard way, media qualification, graveyeard slots on local radio etc working their way up all the time, lottie ryan on the other hand decides she wants a piece of the action and she gets anything she wants by the look of it, just because rte feel they owe the ryan family a favour because of gerry, very unfair and the thing about it is its not working...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

exactly, as said above, most people who work in radio have worked their way up the hard way, media qualification, graveyeard slots on local radio etc working their way up all the time

Most people who are on that path would do exactly as Lottie has done. A lot of jobs in the industry are often got by who ya know and making friends with the right people. Why wouldn't she try it. Weather or not she's good enough to be there is not for me to say as i've only heard her doing the showbiz slot once (not up in time for weekend breakfast on account of it being a weekend). I'm Not mad keen on showbiz stories at the best of time, but it didn't jump at me as being horrendously bad like everyone is making it out to be. What did jump out at me was the volume of her breathing. Cant deny her taking breathes but they were REALLY loud!

Never mind even "experienced", just "minimally able" would be a start.

I'm not sure which I find the more depressing: that RTE management think that "related to someone previously wildly popular" will mean that the listening public will tune in out of loyalty, or name recognition; or that they might actually be right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

She's oblivious to anything real. It's all fake tan and show biz gossip.
    And that dreadful hybrid D4 Hollywood accent and attitude.

Fran1985 wrote: »
    Most people who are on that path would do exactly as Lottie has done.

If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle

Fran1985 wrote: »
    Most people who are on that path would do exactly as Lottie has done.
    This does seem to reflect a general expectation in public life that if people are given a chance to gouge, gouge they will. But this for me just stresses the importance of minimising such opportunities. If we're not allowed to criticise LR for accepting money for old rope, can't we at least criticise RTE management for not merely buying it, but continuing to inflate the price?
    I'm Not mad keen on showbiz stories at the best of time, but it didn't jump at me as being horrendously bad like everyone is making it out to be. What did jump out at me was the volume of her breathing. Cant deny her taking breathes but they were REALLY loud!

But apart from her having nothing to say, and not being able to say it, grand, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 geddylee

You can't beat the put on " oooo my gooood " fake d4 accent that is copied by a new breed of commuter from the drawda area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle

Not sure thats the correct use of that phrase in this case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement