Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room

Options
  • 07-08-2013 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

I just moved to Dun laoghaire in Rochestown avenue.

Basically I'm looking to rent a room to a student or professional.
    I live with my girlfriend and my work requires alot of travel!
    I'm stuck in a situation where we have a nice double room to rent but the
    estate agency won't allow another person in. but! I've been told by alot of others to go ahead with it.

the reason being is that they're never going to be there and if there is a problem, such as plumbing etc they're only going to send out a plumber etc and they can't enter the place unannounced.

The end result it that it would be nice to have an extra person around because.

I can be away for 2-4 weeks and it also helps with the rent and the girl friend isn't stuck on her own the whole time.

any body got any ideas how to go through with this and! who wants to move in! ha ha we are a young couple, just finished college, easy going and the apartment is really nice :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its subletting and its probably prohited in your lease, which means if you get found out you will find yourself evicted for breach of lease. Whether or not you get found out is the chance that you have to take, but do you think youll find someone to rent with you who will be happy to hide every time the doorbell rings or be expected to make themselves scarce if a handyman is coming over to fix something? Landlords are also legally entitled to carry out periodic inspections of the property, and while they are obliged to give you notice in advance, youre going to have to remove all evidence of a third person living there (ie the spare bedroom cannot look lived in). Is it worth the hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zack21

Yeah I know all that but its just annoying me :\ one of my co workers is a land lord and he agrees its stupid that if there is an extra room and you can't sublet its silly. from my point of view its annoying and I do understand the risks and the contract I signed etc I just wanted to get other peoples point of view really. Its been a good 2 months and I haven't heard anything from the estate agency or any landlord. ok two months is just two months and not really that long ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

There's a blueish movie and a broken heart in this somewhere. Partner travelling with work and a lonely girlfriend at home with only a tenant to keep her company on those oh so lonely nights. :D

Anyway yep that'd be subletting and a good reason for your landlord to boot you out but it's a risk many take. You'll have to weigh up the risk v reward scenario.

If you could let it to someone you knew it'd be a lot easier if the landlord started sniffing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Chances are you wont hear anything from anyone either, and even if a handyman does come over to fix something they wont know that anything is amiss and wont say anything to the landlord/agent either way. Its really up to you and whether or not you want to take the risk. Like I said, if its if forbidden by your lease and you get caught then you will most likely end up getting evicted. Ive lived in my place for three years and could probably run a circus from my living room without the landlord ever finding out. Its your gamble to take really!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zack21

ha ha would you believe I thought to myself today after posting that "Bet someone posts something dirty because I work away alot" ha ha. Yeah thats it really, am I willing to take the risk, I've mates in Dublin who have done the same and just stay out of trouble with massive parties or neighbors complaining and you'll be fine.

Your right we did try getting in my girl friends mate and thats why we got an extra room but the VERY NIIIIICCCEEEEEEE girl backed out cause shes sooooooooooooo nice. . . . .. . . .no sarcasm intended. . .. . .. ha ha. ahhh no it was her choice anyways so fare is fare ha

• Advertisement
Advertisement