Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking chicken for the week

Options
  • 07-08-2013 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭

Hello
    I bought 15 fillets and want to use 2 per day. Could I cook all 15 at once and store them for the week? If so, what's the best way to store them to keep them good?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We don't allow food safety advice on this forum, but I don't think this falls under food safety, strictly speaking.

You can cook them all together, but I'd recommend freezing any fillets you won't use within 2 days. Freeze them in bags of 2 and defrost in the fridge overnight as needed.

That being said, I think you'd get a better texture and flavour if you freeze them raw and cook them as needed (defrosted).

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭nowimtalking

Hello
    I bought 15 fillets and want to use 2 per day. Could I cook all 15 at once and store them for the week? If so, what's the best way to store them to keep them good?

Thanks

I often do this for the family but the most convenient way is to freeze them raw in sets of two and defrost them before use each day. If we plan on using them in curries, stews, pasta dishes or in a sauce, we generally boil them and then slice it up when it's needed, freezing it if there will be a few days between use. Either way though, 7 days is too long to leave chicken out of the freezer, whether cooked or raw. For pan-frying, roasting or dry cooking, it's best to freeze raw and use individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

That's perfect thanks.

Advertisement