Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting out: insurance (rough estimate) and first bike

• 07-08-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

I've been living abroad for the past few years but will be returning to Ireland fairly soon and am looking at getting into biking. Preferably a 125c bike as I'll mainly be using it to get around town, to and from work.

My main worry is with insurance. I know it's very variable but would anyone know roughly how much I'd be paying for comprehensive insurance? I'm a 24 year old man and would be living in Galway, using a 125cc bike on a provisional licence for commuting. I've tried looking at quotes online but they want to know my vehicle registration number. I've yet to buy a bike which makes this fairly hard!

Also, in terms of bikes, I found a site called LearnerLegal which sells new 125cc bikes for around £750. I'm interested in This one as it comes with a warranty and looks alright. Anyone got any input on it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Make up a reg, it's not checked. I've been doing the same thing and have managed to get 2 or 3 quotes so far.

FYI, quote I was given from Liberty was approx €420. 31 male, A2 learner permit, 0 no claims bonus, Virago 535 worth €1500 livingh in Waterford.

:EDIT: Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're buying from the UK you may have to pay additional tax in the form of VRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Those Chinese bikes are a disaster, you could find it very hard to get parts if anything goes wrong.
    Don't get me wrong, there are some good Chinese manufacturers that have good support in Europe but you want a reliable bike that will be easy to get parts for here. In Ireland.
    How would that warranty work if the bike packs up and you need to return it?
    The delivery costs will be nearly half the value of the bike.
    Stick with something simple and cheap, CG 125 YB125 etc they are nearly bulletproof given a little care and parts are readily available.
    They won't be much more than the no name bike for 750 stg +VAT +VRT
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cg-125cc/5092587
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cg-125/5442043
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/05-yamaha-ybr-125/5452932

• Registered Users Posts: 20 staygold

Thanks for the help guys, those bikes on DoneDeal look great!

What sort of insurance should I go for if buying a second hand bike? Is it worth getting Comprehensive or will Third Party work for a cheap, second hand bike?

staygold wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys, those bikes on DoneDeal look great!

What sort of insurance should I go for if buying a second hand bike? Is it worth getting Comprehensive or will Third Party work for a cheap, second hand bike?
    I'd personally go for TPFT on a bike like that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

That bike looks like the GN, I'd go for a GN if you like that style of bike, reliable and have a good parts network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 staygold

Thanks for the help guys. Out of interest, can a 125cc be stored easily? I'm moving in with my friend into Galway city centre and I don't think there's any parking in our flat. Reckon it be possible to store the bike in my room?
    Probably a stupid question, but a guy on my street is alwayss wheeling his bike out of his house.

staygold wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys. Out of interest, can a 125cc be stored easily? I'm moving in with my friend into Galway city centre and I don't think there's any parking in our flat. Reckon it be possible to store the bike in my room?
    Probably a stupid question, but a guy on my street is alwayss wheeling his bike out of his house.
    Those small naked bikes are easy to bring in out of the weather and away from thieves.

Advertisement