Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cigarette lighter socket supposed to continue to charge when car is off?

Options
  • 07-08-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just picked up a car dash camera today. In the instructions it mentions that the camera shuts down when the car is off. It looks like my socket will continue to charge when the car is off. Is this supposed to be the case? Doesn't seem like an intelligent feature.
    Is there anyway to change this?
    Car is the Skoda Superb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I had this on my old e36 too, cigg lighter outlet was always on. Tbh I found it very handy.
    For Octavia it's always on/available, prob for Superb too.

If nothing is plugged in it won't drain the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

it is connected directly to your cars battery then, no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From manual:
    The cigarette lighter and the power socket also operates when the ignition is switched off or the ignition key withdrawn

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

biko wrote: »

Which means you'd constantly have to remove your charger(s) every time you turn off the car? That'd do my head in !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I installed one of these in my side storage compartment and ran it to a switched source in the fuse panel so I could run my car cam from it. I had the same problem in that my cigarette charger was always on and I didnt want to have to remember to plug it out every time I got out of the car. NowI never have to touch it and all the cam wires are hidden.

cam1_zps3407ce3c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I had this on my old e36 too, cigg lighter outlet was always on. Tbh I found it very handy.

That's the issue. It's a dash mounted camera. Don't want to have to always plug it out when leaving the car because the day you need it is going to be the day that you forgot to plug it in.
    Harcrid wrote: »
    I installed one of these in my side storage compartment and ran it to a switched source in the fuse panel so I could run my car cam from it. I had the same problem in that my cigarette charger was always on and I didnt want to have to remember to plug it out every time I got out of the car. NowI never have to touch it and all the cam wires are hidden.

Is that hard to do. Who would I contact if I wanted to get something like that fitted without having to do it myself? Would it be expensive or a cheap 15 minute job?
    Thanks for the help so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

gavmcg92 wrote: »

Is that hard to do. Who would I contact if I wanted to get something like that fitted without having to do it myself? Would it be expensive or a cheap 15 minute job?
    Thanks for the help so far.

Not hard at all. About 10 mins if you have the wire and easy access to the fuse box.

Just double check your cig lighter though. Some cars (A couple VW's) have the cig outlet on for about 20 mins when you turn off the car and then shut down. Its a convenience feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Must be all VAG cars with it on permanently. Had beetle and A4 with it on and have BMW 5 series with it off.

Prefer it always on to be honest, great for charging phone etc when not near mains

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

My woman's old VW ('04) had cig socket always on. In a new one ('09) goes on when ignition goes on.

Advertisement