Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Perseid Meteor Shower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

cloud blanket in Dundalk for now ..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

Cleared beautifully in Wexford just at ISS time. Saw two meteors as the ISS flew over. Saw five in the space of five minutes, then nothing for ten minutes. Then it clouded over.

Looking at satellite map it looks like a chance of clear patches in south west, south coast, and south west midlands in the next hour or so. Could be pretty dismal elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

West Waterford/East Cork here. Spotted 10 in a half hour period. Sky is very clear.

Can anyone tell me what the slow moving lights are in the sky? I seen one or two that move slowly across the sky and they are not as bright as the stars.

Same here, seen 8 with massive tails in clear skies over mid Tipperary. I've also seen those slow moving lights, one of them was massive, bright and came from as far as i could see in the south to the north. It never went out of view till it disappeared to the north. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Looking to the north/ northeast and all I can see is some weird orangey type cloud on the horizon. Kinda like a red sky at night when the sun is going down. Too much cloud above to see stars unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

stooge wrote: »
    Looking to the north/ northeast and all I can see is some weird orangey type cloud on the horizon. Kinda like a red sky at night when the sun is going down. Too much cloud above to see stars unfortunately.

Looking to the north/ northeast and all I can see is some weird orangey type cloud on the horizon = Reflections from street lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Too cloudy in North Wicklow unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Took a spin on the bike from Clonsilla to Maynooth and back, saw a couple in my peripheral vision, even through the thick(ish) cloud.

If it's clear tomorrow, do people reckon there'll still be activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Also, had a good laugh at this, I must say...

267001.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Great hour and a half watching myself and the family did, i'd say if anyone saw us they'd think we were a bunch of loons staring up in the sky. Seen about 10-15 big long streaks, and quite a lot of smaller ones.

Oops! wrote: »
    Same here, seen 8 with massive tails in clear skies over mid Tipperary. I've also seen those slow moving lights, one of them was massive, bright and came from as far as i could see in the south to the north. It never went out of view till it disappeared to the north. Very strange.

If it were about 11pm, it was the ISS passing over. :) - Even though it appeared in the West and disappeared E-South East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Just back from Bull island. No joy. Clouds too thick.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Myself,my girlfriend and our daughter took a quick trip out to Howth (West Pier) at 12:30am.

Nothing but high level blanket cloud.

Back home now and about to go to bed.

Might try Phoenix Park,Papal Cross tomorrow night,if the skies are clear-ish.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Also, had a good laugh at this, I must say...

267001.JPG

Jim Corr would make a good character on South Park.

A raving loony Irish fruit loop who spouts more of the brown stuff out of his gob than out of his ar5e..:pac:

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Took a spin on the bike from Clonsilla to Maynooth and back, saw a couple in my peripheral vision, even through the thick(ish) cloud.

If it's clear tomorrow, do people reckon there'll still be activity?

Meteor showers will rise higher in the the skies..and should last most of the week.Most visable over the North East area of the night sky.

Tonight was supposed to be the best/most active night...60ish per hour from 12 midnight onwards according to media reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

b757 wrote: »
    Great hour and a half watching myself and the family did, i'd say if anyone saw us they'd think we were a bunch of loons staring up in the sky. Seen about 10-15 big long streaks, and quite a lot of smaller ones.

If it were about 11pm, it was the ISS passing over. :) - Even though it appeared in the West and disappeared E-South East.

Seen exactly the same as yourself, lovely clear sky here. One of them was massive. No it was a bit later and was definatly heading dead north so could'nt of been the ISS. It was very impressive to watch....

b757 wrote: »

No it wasnt.

It was Jim Corr looking down on all of us and spying on us in his shed built 1 man space station that has 5 nuclear warheads onboard.....:pac::pac:

Its a shame that Mr Corr couldnt shut up once and for all and disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

paddy147 wrote: »
    No it wasnt.

It was Jim Corr looking down on all of us and spying on us in his shed built 1 man space station that has 5 nuclear warheads onboard.....:pac::pac:

Its a shame that Mr Corr couldnt shut up once and for all and disappear.

Haha, good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Just back from our trip out.

Started out in Blessinton Lake where we saw none.
    Then onto Sallygap and we stopped at the Valley at the end of military Road where we say 4 big ones, one of which left a slight trail and then numerous small ones out the corner of our eye.

What would these look like from the ISS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Packed up at viewpoint tonight. Seen the one meteor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98025682@N02/9499868456/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Was in the Phoenix Park tonight

Huge crowd there, saw one, that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Oops! wrote: »

Seen similar, also in tipperary last night. Can anyone confirm the small slow moving lights were just planes and or satellites? Very surprised at how many of these we saw as well as he big streaks.

Right around midnight it was definitely hitting 60 per hour of the big ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

jamie72 wrote: »
    Looking to the north/ northeast and all I can see is some weird orangey type cloud on the horizon = Reflections from street lights.

Definitely not streetlights as there are none in that direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Has anyone heard sonic booms from the Perseids? There have been a few reports and I'm fairly sure I've heard a few myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Has anyone heard sonic booms from the Perseids? There have been a few reports and I'm fairly sure I've heard a few myself.

Would they be close enough to hear? :eek:

I stayed up last night, went to the park, no lights around, and had little to nowt cloud coverage, and i saw nothing.. :(.

Very disappointed. I was hoping to see some (Obviously).

Ah well, maybe next year.

These are small bits of dust that come into the earth atmosphere as the earth passes through the dust clouds on its orbit.

No sonic boom from these...according to several professionals speaking on BBC World News and Sky News too.

Sonic boom would only be from what happened in Russia in Febuary this year,it would have to be that big and that low in the earths atmosphere to create a sonic boom to be heard from the ground..

SONIC BOOM

Oh and cloudy/drizzly/rainy skies tonight too......so I dont think I will be seeing any meteors tonight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Spent a large portion of last night in a park in a medium-sized Japanese city watching the meteor shower. Wasn't fortunate enough to get any good photos but was worth it anyway. Next time I plan to be out the countryside for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

laros wrote: »
    Down in Offaly just outside Tullamore...Light cloud cover, just seen the ISS and then 5 meteorites in the past 10 mins
    EireIceMan wrote: »
    Couple of mile outsideTullamore myself, clouds seem to be rollin in now:(

Same myself - working in Tullamore till midnight, then home near Blueball by 12:25am, some breaks in the cloud but very short lived. Set the alarm for 3:30 and nada - ground was wet, sky was light polluted. :(

There will still be a chance to get to see many more than normal numbers of these for the next 8 to 10 days, so don't despair! I have been watching on every clear night since August 2nd, and I have noted many brief periods of bursts of meteors from the Perseus to Cygnus stretch on each of these nights, getting better as we closed in on the 12th (last night).

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ving2jz

I'm probably too late guys, but I missed it last night,
    Do anyone know if I can see them again tonight?? And where would be the best spot (I'm from Tallaght) clost to me

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its been building up all week,with meteors every night, and will tail off during the coming week.

Plenty of chance to see some again tonight and tomorrow night at least.

Keep looking up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Clouds are not playing ball again tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

In North Wicklow and saw a couple of meteors. Also what appear to be satellites. Pity the skies arent clearer though.

Advertisement