Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Perseid Meteor Shower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ei0675

Seen the iss pass over longford at 10:11pm. No meteors as of yet was total blanket of clouds last night so hoping tonight will be better as quite a good break in them for now!!

Whats best time for viewing heard between 12 and 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

ei0675 wrote: »
    Seen the iss pass over longford at 10:11pm. No meteors as of yet was total blanket of clouds last night so hoping tonight will be better as quite a good break in them for now!!

I saw the ISS too from Offaly at same time.

I also saw a big falling star to the North approximately 20 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭JaManSnowFlake

ei0675 wrote: »

The best time is after half 12 and look north east. Good luck with the clouds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

A break in clouds in north Wicklow. Been outside 20 mins. Seen 6 decent meteors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

As said before you can keep an eye here for cloud breaking http://www.sat24.com/en/gb?ir=true it does look to be breaking up a bit in places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ei0675

Well drove round a bit and found a great viewing spot out of light pollution, on a hill and even had a clear view of the milky way ( note to self; bring camera and remember settings).

Seen 7 meteors ( 3 were split second flashes in a E/SE direction other 4 were brief trails in NE drection from 12 till 12:33 then clouds rolled in n couldnt see a single star. Typical irish weather at an event like this!!

Also seen a high orbiting satellite pass at about 12:13/14 moving W to E.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Pretty disappointing this year, with the cloud cover. Although when there were breaks, the rates of meteors were pretty good. They also seemed to know how to elude my camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

Any chance of seeing any tonight or are we long past it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

jamie72 wrote: »
    Any chance of seeing any tonight or are we long past it?

Still a chance for some tonight. Just pray for a gap in the clouds. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

As ever we are cursed by cloud cover.
    Seen 2 last night which delighted me - but the coverage of clouds ruined it
    Wonder if it better to go to the Phoenix Park tonite or back to Wicklow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

Does anyone know if the height I'd get from going up Clermont Carn in Louth, would make a difference?

I'm only doing it if it would be worthwhile, that road is dangerous enough, nevermind at 1am in the pitch black.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Kersh wrote: »
    Still a chance for some tonight. Just pray for a gap in the clouds. :D

Drat!

I thought it was gone, done and dusted. :(. I didn't even keep an eye out last night. Although i did wonder why the dates were so accurate.. :o
    I was reading something about Haileys Comet burning out, in 150,000 years, which is the equivelant of 3 seconds to us.. :eek: Or something along those lines. Anyway, i saw that the meteor shower will still be availbale to see in "spattered" sightings for the next two or three days.
    Unfortunately, i don't know what site i was on, and it was a PC i have no access to again.
    All i know is that the site had a red banner and a red popout menu on the side and a blue backgound.
    ...... Only 100,000,000 sites that match that then....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Watch the ISS tonight starting at 21.22 hrs. Visible for 6 minutes if no cloud.

Spectacular last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Hitchens wrote: »
    Watch the ISS tonight starting at 21.22 hrs. Visible for 6 minutes if no cloud.

Spectacular last night.

Just missed the ISS at 11 last.night but stayed out for an hour and caught a few perseids ( not as many visible as normal) and saw what i think was an. iridium flare before the clouds rolled in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Any luck tonight? Little cloud cover here in Kerry but haven't seen anything in the last half hour. Have been looking NW-SE.

Dave! wrote: »
    Awesome. Where is Morristown beach?

Sorry Dave only saw this now, it was Morriscastle beach, not Morristown, I don't know how I got that mixed up, must have been lack of sleep & too much excitement. It's between Curracloe beach & Cahore beach in Wexford, the last real dark skies on the east coast :(

Any luck tonight? Little cloud cover here in Kerry but haven't seen anything in the last half hour. Have been looking NW-SE.

There might be a few stragglers, you need to look to the north east, they'll radiate from that point but you can see them anywhere. All the info is in the `st post on the 1st page

I was looking, and had a mostly clear sky. Saw nothing.

Partly cloudy, but not very much. I was in Clontarf tonight. Maybe too much light pollution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

WOW....that was so exciting.

NOT.:(:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Allyall wrote: »
    I was looking, and had a mostly clear sky. Saw nothing.

Partly cloudy, but not very much. I was in Clontarf tonight. Maybe too much light pollution.

Go up to the carpark up behind The Summit Pub on Howth Head.

It will be very dark up there.

You will see the night skies a bit better up there.

Dont mind the odd few skanner scumbags drinking their cider or the few couples roiding away in their cars....:pac::pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Currently down on laytown beach with the binoculars and in the last hour I saw a big one with a trail showing and one other small one. Really have to be patient. Funny thing is even tho I came down here to see whats left of the shower, the meteors/dust particles have taken second stage because the sky is very clear and dark and ive seen andromeda, kembles cadcade, pleides, hyades, jupiter + 2 moons and as I type, mars is coming up over the horizon just below pollox and castor in gemini. Mirphak and its neibhours also very impressive. Ive had worse saturday nights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

also just noticed betelgeuse, bellatrix and orions belt, although so close to the horizon the fainter stars in the belt area arent visible. Im normally freezing me nuts off during winter viewing these things so even tho its very late its also very mild at the mo. And to keep on topic, just saw a big one travelling west and finishing in the plough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Hitchens

lovely clear viewing for the ISS last night

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

Think I just saw the ISS going from SSE towards NNW. Best thing was there was a flash of light almost directly overhead (slightly north) which I reckon was a meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

Perseid time again. Maximum on Tuesday night the 11th, small hours of 12th August 2015, but you can view in the days either side. No moon to spoil the show this year. Weather outlook for Tuesday night is passably good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

ps200306 wrote: »
    Perseid time again. Maximum on Tuesday night the 11th, small hours of 12th August 2015, but you can view in the days either side. No moon to spoil the show this year. Weather outlook for Tuesday night is passably good.

Isn't it not the night of 12-13th?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Isn't it not the night of 12-13th?
    Yes that's also my understanding, that the peak is in the early morning of the 13th.

So, if the cloud gods are pleased with our scarifices and deem us worthy of a clear sky on the night of the 12th and early morning of the 13th. :) . Also with absense of the Moon, potentially we should have one of the best Perseid events in recent times.

Apologies in advance, as I have probably now put the "complete mockers" on the entire night now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Out in Turkey on holiday. fab clear skies, looking forward to this.

Newspapers/Media reporting it will be 11th/12th?

Are they just repeating and not researching?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Allyall wrote: »
    Newspapers/Media reporting it will be 11th/12th?

Are they just repeating and not researching?

I always thought the peak was in the early hours of the 12th - but it must be years since there has been clear skies on that night and even the nights leading up to it - doesn't look very promising again here in the northwest with no light pollution the cloud cover is a real pain!

Advertisement