Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Perseid Meteor Shower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

From Wicklow Harbour on the 9th

20462003115_769b755a66_z_d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

One from last night in Dublin (on the left) it wasn't too bad in the light pollution... :rolleyes:

CMOJT59WoAAryGS.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

So far it's looking good for the east coast for clear skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

Although we could probably see a few from our back garden, I'm thinking of taking the kids to Phoenix Park or maybe Howth Summit.
    I presume there will be a bigger crowd by The Papal Cross. Any recommendations for the northside tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Theres cloud moving up from the south so best go NW for best amount of time under clear skies. Being in Finglas myself, my nearest decent spot to go is up past the airport on the back roads.

• Advertisement

According to this it seems the south-east is the best to see them... http://www.thejournal.ie/meteor-shower-only-seen-from-part-of-country-2268155-Aug2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

According to this it seems the south-east is the best to see them... http://www.thejournal.ie/meteor-shower-only-seen-from-part-of-country-2268155-Aug2015/

Met Office posted that this morning , situation has changes since then.

http://www.sat24.com/en/eu?ir=true

Thanks for the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm in Dublin and can see the poxy cloud approaching from the south. Misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭bilbot79

woppi wrote: »
    Although we could probably see a few from our back garden, I'm thinking of taking the kids to Phoenix Park or maybe Howth Summit.
    I presume there will be a bigger crowd by The Papal Cross. Any recommendations for the northside tonight?

Would phoenix park really be better surely all of dublin has too much light pollution?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

A perfect clear sky here in the west, I await in anticipation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Could I see it in east cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Laying here on my sun lounger here in Positano on the Amalfi Coast. 10:28pm and 26c. Mostly clear skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Best spot North Dublin? Perhaps Howth head what about Donabate beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Deco99 wrote: »
    Could I see it in east cork?

yeah if its not cloudy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

yeah if its not cloudy

No clouds. Roll on darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

After a day of no sunshine at all in castlebar, clouds are now breaking from the south , lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Any apps I can get to point me in th right direction?

Just got the ISS tracker there

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

No real right direction, north east ,but if youve got clear skies and go outside after 11pm, chances are you will see some! away from towns etc etc is always best

No real right direction, north east ,but if youve got clear skies and go outside after 11pm, chances are you will see some! away from towns etc etc is always best

Thanks. I'll be out anyways. Located in kimmage, dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

MarkY91 wrote: »

Cheers

SkyView

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

MarkY91 wrote: »

Cheers

If you've got Android search for "meteor shower calendar" the free one is grand just a few ads and it links to google sky map which also shows any meteor shower approaching in relation to your location (another must have)
    Just play around and set both to dark / night mode display so you don't blind yourself.
    I use them both at work on the ships & they work perfectly, even offline for celestial nav references, just to identify some stars & zodiac at times if I'm in a new area (lazy I know but it impresses my cadets!)

Thanks alot guys. Got the whole family trying to watch.

The ISS was cool a few mins ago. 3rd time to see it and it never gets old for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ei0675

Yea was a nice long pass and very bright. Hopefully will see a few tonight, good clear skies in longford.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Is this blink and you'll miss it kind of stuff, or visible for a few seconds at a time etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Perfect night for it, barely a cloud in the sky!

I couldn't see much a few minutes ago, it's still too bright out. I'll head back out in half an hour. Should be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

spockety wrote: »
    Is this blink and you'll miss it kind of stuff, or visible for a few seconds at a time etc?

Get the coffee on, eyes wide open soldier :P

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

How long before back again , I'm in Deep South dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

I've been watching that constellation area for about 45 mins now with clear sky - has anyone seen anything yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

euser1984 wrote: »
    I've been watching that constellation area for about 45 mins now with clear sky - has anyone seen anything yet?

I've seen one so far

Advertisement