Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Perseid Meteor Shower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The Perseids only rise in the North-East sky after midnight, you might see a few beforehand if lucky but much better after 12, and even better towards dawn but cloud will be in by then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

i'm in galway, just seen a shooting star blasting through the sky, in the east,

wasn't expectin them to be that big

gave me a fright to be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Caught a glimpse of four in around 20 mins. Mighty clear skies for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 29,318 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i'm in galway, just seen a shooting star blasting through the sky, in the east,

wasn't expectin them to be that big

gave me a fright to be honest :)

iss by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Couple of small ones & three biggish streaks in the last ten mins or so. could do with the sky clearing a bit though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Show time has started , 3 nice ones in 5 minutes there (castlebar)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

johnny osbourne , saw that one , very nice and bright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    iss by any chance?

no, seen that earlier,

anyway i made my wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Typical! A veil of cloud overhead (Waterford City)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Just saw about 10 of them here in Meath, not a bad show so far :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

spockety wrote: »
    Is this blink and you'll miss it kind of stuff, or visible for a few seconds at a time etc?

9.34 pm tomorrow night there's a pass visible for 6 minutes according to the ISS site...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Where should I be looking in relation to the Plough? I'm in South Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Saw a few huge ones in the space of around 10 mins. Slightly NW direction. Lovely clear skies in kells.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

saw 6 within 10 minutes :)

better than last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

I've seen 4 or 5. Two were big with one being very very big....looked like someone had let off a roman candle....Will there be a lot more after 12 or still just one every 5mins or so.

Will more or less all of them be in the north east after 12? I've never seen a meteor shower before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

here in sligo the sky is clear

lots and lots of stars

stared for ages but saw none

i am looking directly up. there are billions of stars but nothing happened and in 3 mins i got a sore neck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Caught one!

Stinicker wrote: »
    Where should I be looking in relation to the Plough? I'm in South Kerry

To the bright flashing star to the right. I only see about three stars around there including the flashing. Other stars are fairly dull.

pauldry wrote: »

lots and lots of stars

i am looking directly up. there are billions of stars but nothing happened and in 3 mins i got a sore neck

They could be anywhere up to about 12 I think.

• Advertisement

Just saw 2

the second scared the living out of me

first on nw horizon like a flash

second straight above like a fast flashing bat

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ei0675

Just seen at least 15 in last 40 min. Drove out about 2 miles to an old country graveyard car park. Beautiful clear sky lovely view of milky way ( raging didn't have camera) Lo was getting board and tired so just left but amazing viewing. As last few post some long bright streaks and a few dim ones. Also 2 bright flashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

pauldry wrote: »

lots and lots of stars

In Sligo too Pauldry crystal clear but cold laying outside - I gave it about 45 minutes saw over 20 and one that flew towards the west and the stream it left behind lasted for a second or two - warming up indoors now may go out a bit later - but it does take patience, a reclining chair or lie with a pillow to help your neck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Cloud is starting to roll in now in Meath.

I've seen a couple of big ones so I'm not too disappointed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

went outside for a minute and saw two. havent looked at the starry sky in while, forgot how much more it reveals when ye give yer eyes time to adjust. when I first came outside I was like 'clear sky but not many stars?' then a minute later 'oh, hey universe', then saw two floaters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Cork at the moment:

the-latest-nfl-stadium-mess-or-old-man-yells-at-cloud-1424186090.jpg?crop=0.7453125xw:1xh;center,top&output-quality=75

Some clear skies to the East so managed to see a few, but cloud cover is getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Show time has started , 3 nice ones in 5 minutes there (castlebar)

Turn off the lights over there. Light pollution is blocking my view in Westport :). Had a good few there. Several in 5 mins.

went outside for a minute and saw two. havent looked at the starry sky in while, forgot how much more it reveals when ye give yer eyes time to adjust. when I first came outside I was like 'clear sky but not many stars?' then a minute later 'oh, hey universe', then saw two floaters

I just saw clear sky too and thought this is as rare in sligo as the perseid

no doubt waterford whispers will run an apt headline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

My wife, children and I decamped to the back garden here in Donabate with and excellent clear view of the night sky. We were seeing one bright meteor every 5 minutes and the odd smaller one in between. Perhaps the biggest surprise was the number of satellites going over, which seemed more frequent than the meteors!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

could they collide with satellites or they too high?

Advertisement