Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Perseid Meteor Shower

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

pauldry wrote: »
    I just saw clear sky too and thought this is as rare in sligo as the perseid

no doubt waterford whispers will run an apt headline

The perseid shower happens once a year so a clear sky in Sligo is in fact much rarer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Six shooting stars four satellites and an Israeli Jumbo Jet, New York to Tel Aviv, could not get over the satellites came quicker than the meteors

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Six shooting stars four satellites and an Israeli Jumbo Jet, New York to Tel Aviv, could not get over the satellites came quicker than the meteors

The same in cavan lots of satellites and meteors. A great clear sky but decided to come in as my neck was getting sore and I was getting cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

fryup wrote: »
    could they collide with satellites or they too high?

Arnt the meteors only dust and ice particles? If they are I'm sure they wouldn't do much to the satellites

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Traffic jams up the feather beds and Dublin mountains, too many car lights, very dark on some of the byroads like glen Cullen to powers court waterfall, saw one or two to the east but didn't hang around , too many cars .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Seen a good few over the last half hour. From a rural place so that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Just saw one, amazing, seemed quite low, in north county dublin

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    Arnt the meteors only dust and ice particles? If they are I'm sure they wouldn't do much to the satellites

id say a speck of dust traveling a few thousand miles an hour would do a bit of damage alright but i think its rare enough. any expert opinions on the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Wow. 3 in 3 mins. 1 like a real fireball. Just amazing!!!

Living rural as well, so like colmulhall says, that helps. No bright lights around.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Too bright were I am to see anything despite the clear skies. It's times like this I wished I lived in the sticks or that light pollution was taken a bit more seriously. If any of ye work in the ESB, if you could cut the power to all of Sligo town centre for a few hours that'd be just great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am West of Galway & it's very quiet. Only two in 15 mins & perfect clear skies.

that light pollution was taken a bit more seriously

hahaha it ll never be dealt with

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    hahaha it ll never be dealt with

I've a ladder and a hammer in the shed, that would at least sort the street lights. :D

I've a ladder and a hammer in the shed, that would at least sort the street lights. :D

i errr emm 'hear' a good pellet gun or slingshot does the job as well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Real dazzler overhead just now, camera was pointing elsewhere of course :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bigus wrote: »
    Traffic jams up the feather beds and Dublin mountains, too many car lights, very dark on some of the byroads like glen Cullen to powers court waterfall, saw one or two to the east but didn't hang around , too many cars .

Seriously? Never saw that happen before for an event and Ive been up there for a few...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

fryup wrote: »
    could they collide with satellites or they too high?

They can, generally to small to worry about though. They turn or put up the solar panels as shields on any Orbiting Object they can.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/1998/ast05aug98_1/
    http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?120340-satellites-manned-spacecraft-space-station-during-meteor-showers
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/satellites/shooting-stars-can-shoot-down-satellites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Finally saw one after about 20 mins of watching on and off. Streak of light. Crossed the sky in an instant.

I assume the flicking bright light I see slowly moving across is the ISS, its the same direction and path as the last time I saw it.

Hard to look up though too many street lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Went out and saw a massive bright one within a minute. About another 30 or so, mostly smaller within the next half hour. And I'm in a housing estate in Lucan, a suburb about 7 miles from Dublin city centre :)

Can't believe my luck! I've only ever seen the Perseids once before in my life!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Just got in home, drove up to our farm at 11:45 and counted over 40 in a 50 minute period, a really beautiful and amazing sight, it's times like this that makes me really value my rural location with no house within 2 miles and the entire sky unspoilt by any light pollution. My next door neighbour here must spend a fortune on her ESB as she has the place lit up like an airport so I had to go to my rural spot to view it. I spotted a few satellites, planes and at least a dozen different bats flying overhead, I couldn't track the planes as there is no mobile phone reception at all where I went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Have seen loads here in Turkey, two hours ahead of home.Wispy MW visible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

After seeing a fair amount myself! :D

They're much more visible than any other time I ever remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Didn't realise meteors were so difficult to try and capture..dont think I got any :pac:

Looks like some sort of satellite!

LJABt04.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Cool pic! -

I'm going back out to look from another angle.
    EDIT

Went back out, I saw one fizzle really early out. Like it was just starting and disappeared almost immediately. Did anyone see that?

It was very bright, or something blew up.. :eek:

We are moving to the a less lit up area.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Snowstandards

I've been having a few cups of tea and smokes out the back garden in Leixlip and I've seen at least 20 in about 20ish minutes :D I wish it were like this all year round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I saw 38 between 12 and 1 o clock. Some really impressive. Rural west Limerick. Beautiful night. Deck chair and a blanket, most peaceful hour I've had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just back in after about 2 hours of looking upwards with a friend, saw about 50. Possibly would have seen a good 20 more if I was concentrating. A real treat. Saw about 5 really great ones, left a massive streak across the sky. Must learn some astrophotography!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Some serious one visible shooting above Cassiopeia, great display! Now hoping the bigs ones are on the SD card! Still imaging here in Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Living in the suburbs of light polluted Dublin, but still saw some. One big fireball circa 12:20am and lots of ones with nice tails. Lots of satellites on view too, including the ISS and EnviSat. Check out heavens-above.com or n2yo.com for predictions on their times of passing. Quite apart from the meteors and the satellites, there was the night sky itself with lots of stars and constellations to be seen. Astronomy is a simple hobby: all you have to do is go outside and look up! Don't forget, the Perseids is not a one night show, so keep looking over the next few nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Are they still coming down? Might pop out for a look but not if it's over. Dun Laoghaire area right beside the sea, would I see anything looking out to the sea or where should I look?

Advertisement