Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Kerry called "The Kingdom"?

Options
  • 07-08-2013 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

because its where Kerrymaid is made

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

if Cork is a Republic, then Kerry would have to take the opposite stance and declare itself a Kingdom ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Kerry kept the English out the longest, and was free from English influence until the mid 1600's. Kerry along with Cork fought the hardest in the War of Independence and there is still massive anti-British feeling in the county to this day. Tralee town is probably the biggest republican town in Ireland outside the 6 counties. Cork are the brave rebels but Kerry are the Kingdom and rural Kerry is 100% the truest part of Ireland you can go to, pure Irish stock and in Dingle and Corca Dhuibhne it is as if the occupation never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Stinicker wrote: »
    Kerry kept the English out the longest, and was free from English influence until the mid 1600's. Kerry along with Cork fought the hardest in the War of Independence and there is still massive anti-British feeling in the county to this day. Tralee town is probably the biggest republican town in Ireland outside the 6 counties. Cork are the brave rebels but Kerry are the Kingdom and rural Kerry is 100% the truest part of Ireland you can go to, pure Irish stock and in Dingle and Corca Dhuibhne it is as if the occupation never happened.

Massive anti British feeling? Hardly.
    Such things are surely a thing of the past now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Ciar riage -> Ciarri -> Kerry

It was Ciar's Kingdom, bout 50 AD or so.

Pre-Norman so it has nothing to do with the English.

Oh, and fun fact for yall, Cork is the rebel county because they supported Perkin Warbeck, a pretender to the throne of England during the War of the Roses.

Ciar riage -> Ciarri -> Kerry

It was Ciar's Kingdom, bout 50 AD or so.

Pre-Norman so it has nothing to do with the English.

Ciar Riocht? Riocht being kingdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Class! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Yeah, something like that. I only did one semester of Old Irish. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

:confused:

Because it is and that's the why!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

According to one of the two explanations given on the site that I linked to earlier:
    The origin of the expression "The Kingdom" Ciar raige anglicised Kerry means Ciar's Kingdom or Kingdom of Ciar. Ciar was the progenitor of the O'Connor Kerry Clan. Around 65 AD Ciar took possession of an area of land stretching from the river Maine in the south and the Shannon estuary in the north and included the peninsula of Corca Duibhne or Dingle Peninsula. This territory at the time was known as Clar na Cliabh or The Plain of Swords.

By the 6th century it was known as Ciarraige or Ciar's Kingdom. It is mentioned in a 6th Century Manuscript as Ciarraige of the Plain Swords a combination of the old and the new name at the time.

The river known by the anglicised name Cashen in Gaelic is known as Casan Ciarraige Luachra or The Pathway to The Kingdom of Ciar of the Rushes. It was one of the important petty kingdoms of ancient Ireland and the only one of incorporate the word Kingdom as part of its name." Bertie O'Connor (Thanks to Rocono@aol.com for acquiring this for us).

Massive anti British feeling to this day?

With due respect, that's not the Keery I know and love. I know British people living throughout the county who love it here and not one, not one has complained about so much as a wrong look. Add to that the tens if not hundreds of thousands of British who pass through here annually on holidays or, given the numbers who emigrated from Kerry, return to see the land of their ancestors and get nothing but the warmest welcome.

Which is absolutely how it should be. I know some republicans you speak of, we are very proud of this county's history and it's role in the War of Independence and Civil War, but it wouldn't cross our minds to be "anti British" because of events from generations ago that had nothing to do with the average British person.

I hope no British person reads your post and draws the wrong conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BillG

With due respect, that's not the Keery I know and love. I know British people living throughout the county who love it here and not one, not one has complained about so much as a wrong look. Add to that the tens if not hundreds of thousands of British who pass through here annually on holidays or, given the numbers who emigrated from Kerry, return to see the land of their ancestors and get nothing but the warmest welcome.

As a person who is British and who does reside in Kerry I fully agree with the above statement. In the last 20 or so years the only incident I have had eminated not from a Kerry resident but from a individual from outside of Kerry.

None taken.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Which is absolutely how it should be. I know some republicans you speak of, we are very proud of this county's history and it's role in the War of Independence and Civil War, but it wouldn't cross our minds to be "anti British" because of events from generations ago that had nothing to do with the average British person.

Completely agree with these sentiments, but one thing continues to niggle and that is the fact that one would be hard pressed to find the Union Jack flying from even one hotel or other tourist establishment anywhere in the county (and indeed the rest of the Republic).

No such disrespect is inflicted on the flag of the USA despite that country's many continued failings yet the flag of our nearest neighbour and closest friend continues to be slighted.

It's time this nonsense was put to bed for once and for all.

Quackster wrote: »
    Completely agree with these sentiments, but one thing continues to niggle and that is the fact that one would be hard pressed to find the Union Jack flying from even one hotel or other tourist establishment anywhere in the county (and indeed the rest of the Republic).

I guess there was a time when the Union Jack was a symbol that offended Irish people. Unlike, say, an English person, or an English accent, the flag actually did stand for the authority, its use here was associated with army barracks and trappings of colonisation.

But personally I think it's high time people here got over that. Some seem to forget that one of the points about history is that...it's history.

I guess there was a time when the Union Jack was a symbol that offended Irish people. Unlike, say, an English person, or an English accent, the flag actually did stand for the authority, its use here was associated with army barracks and trappings of colonisation.

But personally I think it's high time people here got over that. Some seem to forget that one of the points about history is that...it's history.

Exactly, you have that spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

thats a big load cow dung right there. Massive anti british feeling? I don't see it or hear it any where. 20-30 years ago it was provo town. but it was also a FF and labour town. It only got a Sinn Fein TD when Martin Ferris ran and that was during the trouble during the Marching season.

Even in Fenit where Martin ferris is from you would have to look hard for overt anti british feeling I have fished there whole nights along side english anglers and nobody would say anything to them. From what you are saying you would swear we were all in the pubs planning the overthrow of the British crown, these days we have more local worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

That fact nugget is gold !
    Oh, and fun fact for yall, Cork is the rebel county because they supported Perkin Warbeck, a pretender to the throne of England during the War of the Roses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement