Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety deposit of 300E "reward for new customers who wants to pay cash"

Options
  • 07-08-2013 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I am French, my name is Tanguy.
    I used to work in Ireland, and I had an account with you for 12 and 1/2 month in 2009.
    Had to come back to Ireland. Now opened again a account, because I had troubles with another company I don't want any direct debit. I really want to keep a eye on my bill, and make sure they are accurate, so I think the best way is to pay cash. For paying cash, you get what I call a "special reward" meaning you have to pay a "safety deposit" of 300E, and you get that money (which you are suppose to pay within 14 days) only 14 months latter! Well, I do understand the safety deposit, but 300E is a lot of money, and, for what I use, it's all the gas and electricity for nearly a year!! When I ask why that ridiculous amount and why not 500 or 600 when you are at it, the only answer I got was "it's the rule"...As far has I remember, that safety deposit was less than that in the past, why the change? Simple question: Is there any way to skip these 300E? (I will still be OK to give 100-150E as a safety deposit, but not 300E) Thanks for your answer (by the way please do not send me one of these "already done" template answer)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Tanguy,

Setting up direct debit on the Electric Ireland account is the way to eliminate the security deposit.

Customers who register direct debit can also avail of a 4% discount off the total units used on their bill (as well as 2% discount for online billing, and further discounts for Dual Fuel - electricity and gas; 10% off each in total).

Payments can be made into an Electric Ireland account with direct debit set up, so long as the payment method is only by electronic means (paying by Visa debit card on our website or internet banking, i.e. providing the bank with the Electric Ireland account number, which it can then add as a payee to the customer's online banking profile) throughout the two months between bills, in order to reduce or clear the bill in advance of the direct debit. A margin of seven working days is required between the final payment onto the account and the direct debit date (in order to prevent crossover). If the bill is cleared in full, seven days before the direct debit due date, no money will be collected by direct debit.

After 14 months, the customer can discontinue paying by direct debit and will not incur the security deposit.

Do let us know if you would like further information. We are here until 6pm.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tanguy pouliquen

Hi Una,

Tanguy here.

Unfortunatly, you didn't answer my question, which I think was simple: Is there any way to skip the safety deposit.
    Once again I don't want to set up a direct debit, it's totally out of question.

I do understand the safety deposit, but I think that 300E is just a ridiculous amount, especially at time of recession. It might not be for you, but for me it's.  Maybe the amount of the safety deposit should be proportionnate to what people are using. I was told I can solve that with the social welfare, well I am working and so I don't have the time, don't want to and I suppose they won't help anyway because I get regular income....

300E is around 1.5% of my annual income, it's simple as that: I just can't afford to have that kind of money lock for 14 months.

The others company are doing the same, I just think it's disgraceful...

Was told as well that, as long as I am not paying, any money I give will go toward that safety deposit, and not the bill! So if I refuse to pay the deposit, my bill will be cumulating to the point where I will be disconnect...It's easy to imagine that I will have extra charge for disconnection...Shame!

Also, I would like to know one thing:

In France, and in some other European country it's totally not allow for an energy supplier to disconnect for the 15th of september to the 15 th of march (some peoples had no electricity and freeze to death) is it the same in Ireland?

To finish, I would also want you to consider that I was previously one of your customer.

Thank for reading this mail, this time, and not giving me a template answer like the previous one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Tanguy,

I acknowledge you feel your question was not answered, but unfortunately there is only one way to avoid the security deposit and that is through setting up a direct debit.

Not setting up a direct debit would cause the €300 charge to be applied to your Electric Ireland account automatically. It is correct that this charge would take precedence over bills if not paid. I understand you were a previous customer with us but the security deposit is a requirement for all our customers. If you want to private message me your Electric Ireland account number and name/address/telephone number as they appear on your account, I can investigate the matter further for you.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement