Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to write faster? (physically)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Just to clarify for sleepyheadh, the suggestion I made to the OP was to give a try at writing while playing different types of music, and evaluate for him/herself whether anything of use could be taken from that and adapted to the exam situation.

I did not suggest that the OP try callirobics, I was just giving an example of how one programme, directed at improving handwriting, integrates music into a broader programme which also looks at posture, writing utensils, attention, relaxation, etc. Handwriting without Tears is probably the most widely used programme in schools here for children with handwriting difficulties, and again they adopt a multisensory approach to teaching which also has demonstrated results.

I accept that you disagree with the concept that handwriting in adulthood can be meaningfully improved, and I'm sorry that you had a negative experience with this in the past. The OP posed an open-minded request for help and I offered a suggestion in that spirit, no less than your own.

OP - I wish you luck and hope you will continue to get some helpful suggestions coming through. And very best wishes with your LC year :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

i think the OP might find Handwriting without tears may be a might offensive to their intellect, i mean it is designed for people in the fourth grade! 9 or 10 year olds max.

i know thats what you suggested but i find the idea of the OP sitting down in june to take english paper 1 and humming "whole lot of love" by Zeppelin. even you must see it is completely farcical and i tad insulting.

but yeah OP check out http://www.hwtears.com it should be good for a few laughs ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's never too late to learn how to write properly.

One thing many people do wrong is they grip the pen too tightly which makes the hand tire easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

i think the OP might find Handwriting without tears may be a might offensive to their intellect, i mean it is designed for people in the fourth grade! 9 or 10 year olds max.

i know thats what you suggested but i find the idea of the OP sitting down in june to take english paper 1 and humming "whole lot of love" by Zeppelin. even you must see it is completely farcical and i tad insulting.

but yeah OP check out http://www.hwtears.com it should be good for a few laughs ;-)
    s/he didn't mean exactly this programme...was using it as an example so its all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

I got an A1 writing in block handwriting so I don't know what you're ****ting on about. Plenty of people in the real World (outside of the academic enclave some teachers seem to inhabit) use block writing because it's far easier to read, which is sort of the point of writing.

OP, if you don't currently write joined then I wouldn't suggest trying to learn now. It's a really awful suggestion.
    I write joined (yet slow :mad:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ok ok now that is a joke, right?
    Not really. Some people find that they can pick up the skill quite easy, although most of us will fail badly. Some people got to write left handed, some left handed people were only taught to write right handed, but can pick up the skill quite easily. A small percentage, but something one should look at nevertheless.
    spurious wrote: »
    One thing many people do wrong is they grip the pen too tightly which makes the hand tire easily.
    To add to this; I d get into this habit with most thin cheap ball point pens. Having a slightly thicker pen can mean that you can grip it more comfortably, and thus more lighter. Finally, something not so cheap means that you don't have to press it down so hard onto the paper, and so can write faster. If you find this is the case, it may be worth your while getting two or three such pens for the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I can write quite quickly while being able to actually read it at the same time. One of the things I noticed while taking down notes is that people lean over the table to write. This takes up time as you have to look up again to read and then back down to write. I sit up straight and barely move my head, just my eyes. It helps that I can write without looking. As well as that, some people tend to spend a long time perfecting their handwriting.. It will still be legible if your Os aren't perfect! Another thing would be not to lean too hard on your pen. Not only does it slow you up but it also gets sore after a while.
    Try writing a page from a book and try to do it in a shorter time each time while still keeping your writing legible. Hope this helps!

Advertisement