Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPS letters?

Options
  • 07-08-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

What is pps letters for galway , im in usa , appreciate help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

PPS number is Personal Public Service Number
    It's like your Social Security numbers.

You can't get one from over there since you need an address here first (and some utility bill with your name on it).
    So once you're here, go to the local Social Welfare office and apply for it.

It's all here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Just1cool

biko wrote: »
    PPS number is Personal Public Service Number
    It's like your Social Security numbers.

You can't get one from over there since you need an address here first (and some utility bill with your name on it).
    So once you're here, go to the local Social Welfare office and apply for it.

It's all here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html

Ty but not my question , just asking for galway pps letters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Just1cool wrote: »
    Ty but not my question , just asking for galway pps letters

What is you think PPS letters are, what does the PPS stand for? Are you looking for a postcode type thing or something? Because we don't have them. Biko told you exactly what a PPS number is here, which is the closest thing to figuring out what it is you're asking for.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

tumblr_m5ex1rkjLW1rwgh7wo1_500.jpg

What is you think PPS letters are, what does the PPS stand for? Are you looking for a postcode type thing or something? Because we don't have them. Biko told you exactly what a PPS number is here, which is the closest thing to figuring out what it is you're asking for.

I need to know example of pps no. From galway , as i understand each county has a seperate letter at end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I need to know example of pps no. From galway , as i understand each county has a seperate letter at end

The letter at the end is a checksum letter. It has nothing to do with counties.

maki wrote: »
    The letter at the end is a checksum letter. It has nothing to do with counties.

I thought there were 2 letters after 7 digits

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

I think the letter at the end stands for certain years

Why do you need to know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mine has 7 numbers and 1 letter.

My brothers have a different letter at the end of theirs.

There are 5 of us, we were all born in the same place and we all have different letters.

I reckon the letter means feck all and is not county specific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I thought there were 2 letters after 7 digits

A second letter might be added, but only under certain circumstances. You used to get a W added if you were a woman who married, but that's been discontinued. The vast majority of PPS numbers have only one letter.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Mine has 7 numbers and 1 letter.

My brothers have a different letter at the end of theirs.

There are 5 of us, we were all born in the same place and we all have different letters.

I reckon the letter means feck all and is not county specific.

Ok so there is only 1 letter after 7 digits , is that correct ?

What do you need to know for?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

A 10 second google search would get the answer to that question, I echo Das Kitty why do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I think I remember back in the mists of time (80s), I used to have my own number. When I got married, I "got to" take my husband's number with MW after it (I always imagined this stood for "Married Woman" - possibly not correct, but back in them days, you never know...!).

You trying to do something creative, OP?

Eeden wrote: »
    I think I remember back in the mists of time (80s), I used to have my own number. When I got married, I "got to" take my husband's number with MW after it (I always imagined this stood for "Married Woman" - possibly not correct, but back in them days, you never know...!).

You trying to do something creative, OP?

You're right Eeden, you got your husbands number plus a W he just had the M by chance (I think, other numbers also ended in an M for girls). Has been phased out since about 1999 and (wonder of wonders) you could get your own number now if you so desire

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Meteoric wrote: »
    Has been phased out since about 1999 and (wonder of wonders) you could get your own number now if you so desire

Do you mean I could get my PPS number changed now? Because I would be sort of interested in doing that (marriage is toast, though not divorced yet; I'm not really interested in still "sharing" a PPS number anymore - if I ever was!). Do you need a reason to change it?

Do you mean I could get my PPS number changed now? Because I would be sort of interested in doing that (marriage is toast, though not divorced yet; I'm not really interested in still "sharing" a PPS number anymore - if I ever was!). Do you need a reason to change it?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html See under phasing out of W numbers so you probably just have to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed, you just have to apply. And even if you don't apply, sooner or later you will do something with Revenue or perhaps Welfare and they will require you to get your own number.

To apply, follow these instructions from the Citizen's Information site:
    If you are changing your W number for a new PPS Number you do not need to go through the same application process as everyone else. To get your new number or to be re-instated with your old number just contact the Client Identity Section in the Department of Social Protection.

Ref: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html

Mods - I know we don't post phone numbers here usually. But I've quoted these from the CI website 'cos the information is hidden 1/2 way down a very long page, and I don't think there's much chance of the numbers ever being re-issued to unsuspecting people.

As someone else said, the letter is a checksum. That means it doesn't mean feck all. It's calculated based on the digits in the number, and is a way of helping to catch data-entry errors. And not at all Galway specific.

OP, if you're looking for an example PPS number, have a read of that Citizens Information site. It tells you more about what numbers issued now look like, which could be handy (if you're doing something legitimate).

Where did you hear this, no sources I see indicates this?
    What do you need it for?

If you just want a fake one use:
    Examples of valid new PPSN
    1234567T
    1234567TW
    1234567FA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Public_Service_Number#Expansion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

An example: 5318008pp

(and a riddle, not much of one though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Where did you hear this, no sources I see indicates this?
    What do you need it for?

If you just want a fake one use:
    Examples of valid new PPSN
    1234567T
    1234567TW
    1234567FA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Public_Service_Number#Expansion

Biko,
    I hope that when you say "Fake" you mean "Example":eek:.

red_fox wrote: »

?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BobMcBob

red_fox wrote: »

Step 1. Enter number into a calculator
    Step 2. Turn calculator upside down
    Step 3. Enjoy the glow of nostalgia at being 13 again

bmcb

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

BobMcBob wrote: »
    Step 1. Enter number into a calculator
    Step 2. Turn calculator upside down
    Step 3. Enjoy the glow of nostalgia at being 13 again

bmcb

And the pp would become dd...

I'm curious if there's any motivation for knowing a random pps since you can generate valid (based on the checksum) from the data in the wiki entry (but cannot be certain that it's in use).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I find it very strange that Just1cool can't/doesn't want to, tell why he/she is asking for this info?.

If it's for a legit reason I'm sure one of us could help.

Maybe he's Justin MacCool, ex-IRA Belfast documents forger now living in Boston and longing back home to his beloved Belfast but know he cannot return there lest he'd be imprisoned by Her Majesty's forces.
    So he has crafted a cunning plan to come to Galway on an fake Irish passport and PPS card and live here instead.

Maybe he's Justin MacCool, ex-IRA Belfast documents forger now living in Boston and longing back home to his beloved Belfast but know he cannot return there lest he'd be imprisoned by Her Majesty's forces.
    So he has crafted a cunning plan to come to Galway on an fake Irish passport and PPS card and live here instead.
    It wouldn't say much for his forging skills though - which is probably why he is on the run...

OP there is no county specific lettering or numbering.

Is this you by any chance?
    https://twitter.com/just1cool

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Maybe he's trying to get some of the sweet, sweet dole to spend on playing online poker

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

207-408-dole-banana-7-11-philippines.jpg

Advertisement